cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freesat

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Freesat

Can anyone give me some advice about Freesat.
At Present I use a standard outdoor ariel and am able to watch one program whilst recording 2 more programs on a PVR.
If I switch to freesat will I still be able to do this or does the freesat box only decode (or whatever it does) only allow me access to one channel.
I Have tried to find an answer to this on the various help posts on this subject but have got nowhere so far.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Freesat

My first choice would be to look here where you should find all the answers you want http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141
Lurker
Grafter

The simple answer is that if you buy a decoder with multiple tuners, it will be able to record using one, and allow you to watch using the other tuner (seamlessly and automatically)
The only snag is that your dish must have an LNB capable of supporting more than one output (typically in the UK they either support a single output, or a four outputs), and you must have cable between two of these outputs and the PVR (one for each tuner)
The installers take care of it automatically for you, but worth being aware of in case you ever tried to swap a box with a single tuner, for one with two (or more) tuners.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I dont know if I am reading you correct, your current system is that conventional or Satalite?, if it is satalite then you dont need to do anything, your set up should have  one LNB for each channel i.e. 3  the Sky modern system - Sky+ only has a twin LNB.  Even a Sky tuner can be retuned to get some of the FreeSat channels but not all, Dave and Men&Motors for instance are Payfor via Sky but free on other tuners
I think if you are receiving 3 channels you are talking about Terrestrial freeview.  In Which case to go FreeSat you will need a completely new system
Ask and I can give you a lot more info
Community Veteran

Pierre_pierre,
I Think you may have answered my question in your last sentence.
I Do have terrestrial tv, this comprises of a sony bravia tv that shows digital tv without an additional set top box plus a Humax twin tuner pvr.
Does this mean that if I wish to have Freesat and have the same set up then I would need 2 freesat twin tuner boxes ? with one for the TV and one to allow the Humax PVR to record up to 2 channels.
Perhaps another way of putting this question is what do I need to be viewing 1 channel whilst recording 2 other channels using freesat, what is the approx cost of such a set up and is Freesat just as reliable as terrestrial ?
Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

sorry but the Humax wont be able to record Sat , some Sat tuners have a USB output that can then be recorded on a PC, also Humax have just bought out one called FoxSat HDR its only £400 - thats the only one so far.
There are a lot of  Free to View Sat tuners and thousands of Channels, but on the FreeSat range they can only display now and next progs as aginst the dedicated FreeSat tuners that have a  14 day EPG.
Also the channel line up on FreeSat is not quiet the same as FreeView - again some that are free on FreeSat have to be paid for on Sky
Reliability - when the analogue channels turn off the transmitter power on Terrestrial with more than double, so if you have a vreliable signal now it will get better.  Both Terrestrial and Satellite can be affected by rain or snow
HD  a lot on Free to View mainly continental,  Sky has a lot to be paid for,  FreeSat currentl only has two, Freeview has none but are planning to
Hope that doesnt discourage you
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

FoxSat HDR can record 2 channels simultaneously  OR allow viewing 1 channel while recording another channel, but not viewing one while recording 2 at the same time. Info here -
http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product_stb_satellite_foxsathdr.asp
... but they seem to be a bit thin on the ground in the shops at the moment.
I think the only way you could achieve what you want is with that box plus a TV with a built in FreeSat receiver and I think only Panasonic do that at the moment.
WARNING: I speak as one who is looking at such possibilities myself, not from experience.
Cliff
Community Veteran

Thanks for the responses.
I Think my best plan is to hold back for the moment on this one and watch developments on the digitalspy website mentioned by Oldjim.
As they say "if in doubt do nowt"
techguy
Grafter

The freesat advice line told me they think another shipment is coming in next week.