cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freesat on 2nd TV

Fixes: 123

Freesat on 2nd TV

Haven't seen this covered before so here goes.
SWMBO has a smart TV in the bedroom (connected via Wifi) but it only has Freeview HD and she would like to occasionally watch something from the Freesat choice while I'm watching from YouView on the living room TV (also smart and has Freesat HD and connected by Ethernet).
Is there a cost effective way to achieve this?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Freesat on 2nd TV

Freecycle a sat dish and a sky box ?

We have a dish already connected to the living room TV and have no wish to subscribe to Sky.
Just going over in my mind it's become bloody obvious I can't do what I was thinking - don't even know now why I was thinking it - stream a Freesat channel from the lounge TV to the upstairs one while watching a non-Freesat channel  Cheesy
So, next question...
Is there a very cheap way of getting Freesat (not necesarily HD) via a box, no need for recording, etc? If so, what would be the best way of connected both the FreesatHD TV and the Freesat box to the dish - if at all possible?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

You don't need to sub to sky, I don't. But a sky box will allow you to access the freesat channels.
To do it otherwise, since you have a sat dish is buy a dual o/p lnb with a sat box at the 2nd tv.

Quote from: Hairy
To do it otherwise, since you have a sat dish is buy a dual o/p lnb with a sat box at the 2nd tv.

I assume you mean on of these?
Trouble is the dish isn't exactly easy to get to.
What would be the downside of splitting the signal inside the house and feeding to the TV and a box upstairs?

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Mav

What would be the downside of splitting the signal inside the house and feeding to the TV and a box upstairs?

You can't split a sat feed, like you can with DTT.
Sat signals are both horizontally and vertically polarized and also operate in low and high band, giving you four 'sub-bands', i.e horizontal low, vertical low, horizontal high and vertical high and an LNB can only output one band at a time from a single port.
Added to that polarity and band switching is actively controlled by the STB/TV by voltage switching and emitting 22Khz tone bursts, so having two receivers on the same feed will lead to conflicts.
So your either limited to watching channels on the same txp on both boxes simultaneously, or one being powered off when the other is on if you want full access to all bands/channels without conflicts.

But if I get the item in my second post and a second box then we will be able to watch different Freesat channels on each TV. Have I got that right?

Fixes: 47

As HB says you need a dual LNB (quad LNBs are cheaper) and cable another Freesat box to the dish.
Then you are free to watch any channels on either or both TVs.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation

Oops, should have said 3rd post.
Anyway, looks like SWMBO will need to climb on the roof if she wants the extra channels Cheesy Cheesy

Fixes: 47

I installed mine on the back of the house at a reasonable ladder height so I can re-adjust it if it gets moved in a tornado or brush the snow off it (needed to do it 3 times since installation).
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

If you had Sky+ before then you'll have two cables going into the property. You can use one for each satellite receiver.
If you had normal Sky and have a single LNB (one cable from the dish) then shove the wife up a ladder with a quad LNB and a bit of cable ......

Never had and never will have Sky.
We had the dish installed at the same time as we bought the TV.

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Worth noting that if you have mini-elliptical dish, aka a 'sky dish'  you'll need a quad LNB as twins haven't been available for years and they're matched, i.e the LNBs have elliptical feedhorns/scaler rings.
You can use a standard twin, meant for round(er) dishes (like the one linked to above) but you won't get optimum performance.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
As HB says you need a dual LNB (quad LNBs are cheaper) and cable another Freesat box to the dish.

Which is exactly what we did when we had FreeSat installed. Cheap upgrade.
Paid the installer to use a quad rather than dual LNB and run the extra 2 cables to another room.
The main install is a Humax FoxSat HDR so uses 2 of the 4 cables.
The additional install was initially a secondhand (cheap) Humax HD tuner using just one cable/LNB but then my younger son came home with his Sky HD box. That just plugged in, using both cables, and worked fine.
He's now gone again so we're back to FreeSat there as well.
The dish and LNB is exactly the same for Sky and FreeSat.