cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freesat..... is it worth it?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Freesat..... is it worth it?

There seems to be a lot of advertising for "Freesat" tv box, on tele at the moment... Offering 140 channels..... sounds great.... so I thought I would do a bit of research, to see if I would benefit from all these extra channels...(at the moment we have Freeview...)...
checking up on the Freesat website. I found that :~
at least 30 channels are RADIO stations
at least 20 channels are SHOPPING channels
at least 8 channels are MUSIC/video channels
at least 6 channels are CHILDRENS channles
at least 9 channels are "Foreigh NEWS channels
at least 2 channels are "HORROR" channels....
out of 140 channels 75 of them are of no interest to me whatsoever... 
Of the remaining channels..... I think I get most of them on Freeview anyway.... And yes... Freeview does include some of the above mentioned channels as well...
so my personal opinion " what a waste of money".....
22 REPLIES
wacky17
Grafter

Re: Freesat..... is it worth it?

Have you ever looked into a dreambox?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

horrible jumpy picture and it uses all your bandwidth
nadger
Rising Star

We are running both Freeview & Freesat and tend to watch Freesat & use Thomson Freeview box to record programmes.
As Freesat only cost me £16 it was a no brainer not to have it installed. It does mean that, on occasions I can record 2 channels and watch a 3rd one with no reduction in signal strength.
When Freeview HD is available, next April from Sandy, there will be times when I use the HD Freeview tuner built into TV.
Community Veteran

Quote from: wacky17
Have you ever looked into a dreambox?

I would not dream (!) of using my laptop to watch tv on.... (as Pierre says... uses up your bandwidth)... nor use it in conjunction with any other device to project tv pics onto a digital screen.... seems to be a bit daft. to use the telephone line, to get the TV pic that you can get with..... wait for it.... a TV receiver....
There is so much rubbish on tv  (as previously listed) that I hardly watch it anyway.... it seemed to me from the adverts that I would have more "entertainment" choice due to there being more channels, but it seems there is more "rubbish channels" and less of the "entertainment choice".. to choose from...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

@shutter: You think thats bad, try only having terrestrial on a Sunday when there is footy on BBC1, Cricket on 2, Footy on ITV and then horse racing on 4.. oh and you have no 5 as you're out of its area.
Yup, those were horrible weekends. Thank god for freeview, the internet and cars.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

That sounds like a good excuse to go out for sunday lunch at a pub, by the river, and enjoy life..... until something decent comes on ! ! ! !..
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
We are running both Freeview & Freesat and tend to watch Freesat & use Thomson Freeview box to record programmes.

We have Freeview and Freesat HD with recorder will be installed on Friday.  Cheesy
Fixes: 47

I've had Freeview built into the TV and Freesat HD recordable for quite a while now and tend to use Freesat as the most reliable signal....until the great switchover Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
johpal
Grafter

@Strat - If your aerial is pointing to Emley Moor, with a suitable (T2) terrestrial tuner, you ought to be able to pick up Freeview HD (BBC HD, BBC1 HD, ITV HD and Channel 4 HD) already; no need to wait for the switchover.
@shutter - Freesat would enable you to get a couple of channels in HD; don't think Freeview HD is available in Pompey until the switchover.
Of course, HD doesn't improve the quality of a program's content; the c**p just looks better!  Crazy
jmd
Grafter

I have Sky and now with a TV that is Freeview HD one have everything covered.  Sky would like me  to have HD pack as well [I have the basic variety plus documentaries] but as the TV has a very good picture not sure that HD makes much difference when I look at both on BBC or ITV.  I enjoy watching things on Animal Planet/National Geo and like Alib[i[actually enjoy watching repeats of Dalziel and Pascoe etc].  Must admit that there are a lot of channels not interested in.
Is HD worth while?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Josie, Like Johpal said, you should be able to get a good picture from Emly Moor, different region though
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I've been looking at bringing my parents in to the digital age.
They get their current four channels from the Aldeburgh transmitter - it doesn't transmit digital at present. I've investigated the alternative transmitters and spoken to the local aerial installer: with a high mast, high gain aerial and a signal amplifier it might work some days - total not worth it for the cost. Even after full switch-over and the digital transmissions are turned up to full power it is predicted to be marginal.
So I then looked at when digital comes to Aldeburgh - November next year, but even after full switch-over they will only get Mux 1 & 2 (see attached). That only gives them BBC (all channels), ITV 1 & 2, Channel 4, Five, More 4 and E4.
FreeSat is an absolute no brainer!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Fixes: 47

Quote from: johpal
@Strat - If your aerial is pointing to Emley Moor, with a suitable (T2) terrestrial tuner, you ought to be able to pick up Freeview HD (BBC HD, BBC1 HD, ITV HD and Channel 4 HD) already; no need to wait for the switchover.

What I was meaning is that the Freesat signal is more reliable then the Freeview signal at the moment as Freeview is being transmitted at reduced power from my selected Emley Moor Transmitter.
However after the switch over to full power on Freeview...who knows, we shall see.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: johpal
@shutter - Freesat would enable you to get a couple of channels in HD; don't think Freeview HD is available in Pompey until the switchover.

Here's the transmitter information for Portsmouth: http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/postcodechecker/main/trade/po1+1aa/NA/0/NA
You might want to rerun it for your own postcode: go to http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/home enter postcode and house number and tick the I am in the aerial installation trade box.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)