Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freedom Pop FREE Mobile calls & texts coming to the UK

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Freedom Pop FREE Mobile calls & texts coming to the UK

Register now to be informed when it happens......
SIM only
Looks like it may be FREE for the first 200 minutes, texts & MB of data
Already up & running in the USA.

http://www.freedompop.com/uk?experience=organic.default
http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/577069/FreedomPop-UK-Launch-Release-Dates-Pri...
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Freedom Pop FREE Mobile calls & texts coming to the UK

No such thing as a free lunch! As they say!
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

Also another article here http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/05/freedompop-brings-free-mobile-calls-texts-and-internet-...
Sounds very good , anonymous website browsing, remaining data roles over to the next month, free calls and text between Freedom pop numbers , and free international calling to over 60 countries.
Seems like you have to give them you card details, as the plan will allow you to go your free allowance .
Regards
Mike
Mike
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I have several questions which will need answering
Will it work on a bog standard phone - no app support
Will there be a minimum number of calls per year etc. before they disable the number
What is the chance that BT will pull the plug on it once they have bought EE
Superuser
Superuser

First question , i would say no , as their websites says you need to download the app, to use the free service .
Second question , no idea
Third question, from what i have read going to be running on the Three network , and using another network as a back up
Regards
Mike
Mike
Community Veteran

So I check the coverage, and now I'm signed up, with no results for my coverage check... Huh
Oh well, should be interesting to see how long they last, offering free or cheap service tends to make companies go down, like EasyMobile from the same fella that brought us EasyJet... Roll eyes
Community Veteran

So it's smartphones (android & apple) only.
Requires an app so be prepared for lots of ads, texts, and calls from numerous companies trying to sell you their wares and services.
I think I'll pass on the "freebee" .
itsme
Grafter

I've used Ovivo which was also free just had to put up with ads when using data, but as mainly got the SIM to make calls it was nor a problem. Then http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26659929
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: billnotben
I think I'll pass on the "freebee" .

I'm tempted to agree with you. Also i don't like the idea of someone having my card number that they apparently won't use.. but want it just in case. Luckily i've never been had by a scam like that but i came close to it once.
I was a customer of a well known web hosting company many moons ago that had brilliant prices and had excellent tech support. The company amassed thousands of customers within a year and thus cash flow wasn't really a problem as they had loads of it rolling in. Now I got a bit unlucky work wise and ended up cancelling my account with them and as sheer luck would have it, i lost my card so had to get it cancelled. The following week i heard rumours in the web design forums that the company had gone belly up, the boss had done a bunk but not before rinsing every card in the database of as much as possible Crazy He never got caught either - i heard rumours that he'd used a false name and left all his employees in a massive lurch.
I learnt a valuable lesson from that.. never trust people with your card details and if you do, have multiple cards to limit the damage but never take them out with you where they can be stolen! Smiley
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!