cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FreeCycle RIP

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

FreeCycle RIP

Has anyone else been following the bust up of the Freecycle network? Two of the local groups I follow have pulled out and are now going it alone prior to joining a newly formed UL based umbrella organistaion - one in a very acrimonious manner. The problems have been caused by the founder of FreeCycle turning in to a little (or perhaps not so little) Hitler and trying to impose all sorts of rules on the way groups operate without any regard to local conditions. He also has a strange management manner when it comes to dealing with the volunteers who give up hours of their own time to run the local groups.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: FreeCycle RIP

Didn`t know anything about the bust up..... in fact, except for a couple of mentions on forums like this, I haven`t seen any "local" publicity for this scheme, ..... Which, considering how the local council sees it their duty to give us a "recycle" bin, and provide "local amenity tips" for household rubbish, which the company that runs it makes a nice tidy sum, seems to be a bit of a misconception on the part of the councils...
Most, if not all, of us know about charity shops, and the work the volunteers do, recycling stuff and selling it to make money for the relevant charity, it seems strange that the "freecycle" organisation has not got a "high street presence".... they could take over the old Woolworths shops ,.....
Community Veteran

More about the bust up here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/green-living-blog/2009/sep/10/uk-freecycle-us-network
Community Veteran

Thanks for posting Jelv.  I have never used Freecycle but do monitor 2 local groups via their email listings. It will be interesting to see the outcome of this spat Wink
Lurker
Grafter

Ours is called Freeble now...
Community Veteran

ours is now called FreegleUK
Community Veteran

Freeble or Freegle?
http://www.freegle.org.uk/
Community Veteran

It appears not all the groups have switched to Freegle
One of my local groups has switched but the other is still Freecycle.
Community Veteran

None of my 3 local groups have switched and they have made no comment on the changes.
Community Veteran

I have now noticed that one of my 3 local groups has changed to Freegle but it has been done without anything being posted on the group.  Strange Smiley
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Moray is carrying on as before but under the Freegle name; Aberdeenshire has announced that they will be continuing, but details still to be published.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

So freegle is an umbrella operation looking after those that have left Freecycle?  perhaps they need to make some announcement so we know what is happening.
Community Veteran

This is what I got via email from a local group admin
We Recycle with Freegle
=============================
Hi everyone
You'll notice that our group has changed our name, and this also means that our address has changed too.
It's now:
Web: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wiganfreegleuk
What's changed for you?
======================
Nothing much. The home page looks a bit different, and the email address is new (and you have seen it at the top of the home page) but other than that - all the rules are the same, all your moderators are the same, and our group is still GRASS ROOTS and LOCAL.
We're still dedicated to keeping things out of land fill, and the same moderation team are still here beavering away in the background helping to keep the group running smoothly.
The main reason for our move is simple.
While Freecycle is a GREAT idea, all our UK groups were basically forced to work under a system devised in and for the United States. Leaders of Freecycle in the UK spent more than two years talking with the main Freecycle Network trying to get the freedom to run things in a way more suited to our own country and our own laws. Nothing changed.
In July four leading members of our National UK Freecycle team resigned. Moderators around the country then formed an Independent Association of Freecycle Moderators and again tried talks with The Freecycle Network. But again to no avail.
Since then an increasing number of Group Owners and Moderators have been SUMMARILY DISMISSED from Freecycle including the former UK Director of Freecycle UK.
So we have decided to go our own way.
====================================
Freegle means Free, Giving, Locally and Easily so.......
Keep on Freegling, everyone!
Regards.....your hard working WiganFreegleUK moderating team
Community Veteran

A some what tardy article in the Telegraph about the Freecycle /Freegle changeshttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/6208589/Freecycle-in-bitter-transatlantic-split.html
Freecycle, the giveaway movement that helps internet users swap things they no longer want, has split with hundreds of thousands of UK members who have joined a rival group

That isn't actually correct. I didn't chose to join Freegle I was just  transferred from Freecycle to Freegle and informed by email after the fact.
Community Veteran

if the yanks won't co-operate then i don't object to being transferred to whatever the mods on my local london freecycle board decides.  it's the movement that matters, not who runs it.