cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free television licence for over 75s scrapped.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Free television licence for over 75s scrapped.

@7up 

Where did you get that £400k figure from, and as for "a sense of entitlement" well that comes for having paid tax and all the rest over the course of a lifetime.

You pay in, you take out - isn't that how it's supposed to work?

As for kids working at McDonald's don't knock it, they might not be the path to a career in making burgers but they give kids the chance to earn a little extra while still in education and finding their way in life. All four of mine had similar jobs when young and all bar one went on to University. My son had a part time job working in the evenings for a pizza place in London whilst studying for his degree during the day. It was a great job for a short of cash student - the lad was getting paid and eating free at the same time so for him it was a great little number! Again for those burgers, one of my daughters made them back in the day and she is now deputy head of a large Comprehensive.

We've all got to start somewhere, in fact we all had to. :thumbsup:

idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman wrote: @7up  Where did you get that £400k figure from, and as for "a sense of entitlement" well that comes for having paid tax and all the rest over the course of a lifetime.

£400k!! I wish. Some people seem to think all retirees are loaded. @7up I think you'll find a good proportion of retired people are managing their retirement, not having some great big party every weekend. I keep hearing young people this, young people that. Most have exactly the same problems that I had when young. Nothing wrong with doing work at the bottom of the rung. We've all been there. Same with working night shifts. I've done standby cover, called out Christmas day, New Year Eve, nearly every year, for 20 years. It's the job. It's life

But one thing does stand out. Some young people certainly know how to waste money and then start moaning that they have none. Must have the latest gadget that costs an arm and a leg. Latest this and that. My nephew was one. He sees life totally different now. Matured. There isn't, for the majority, some magic money tree. It's why I make do. Phone is a good 3 years old and will only be replaced when it packs up. Cutback, even a little, and you'll soon start to save.

As for getting freebies from the state. Bus pass is the only thing I get. To use it I have to walk 3 miles to the nearest bus stop. Great!

Ever helpful. :grin: Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Same with one of my nephews @idonno and his phone. He just has to have the lastest one and fair enough he works now, but the lad is not exactly rolling in it. 

As for buses, we use ours whenever we can even though we (just) run a car. Round here you just put your hand up if you are on the bus route and they pull over and stop - even on a C road where we live.

And that £400k? I wish. :smiley:   

8BKA
Pro
Fixes: 4

idonno  wrote   As for getting freebies from the state. Bus pass is the only thing I get. To use it I have to walk 3 miles to the nearest bus stop. Great!

This may the thin end of the wedge.

I read somewhere the government were looking into scrapping  bus passes for wealthy OAPs

I get free

Prescriptions ( I live in England I think they are free to everyone in Scotland and Wales for all ages )  

Heating allowance                                                                                                                                     

A £10 Christmas bonus that must cost more to administer than it's worth                              

Don't pay National Insurance

All of which will be looked into for wealthy OAPs  to save money

Brian A

RobPN
Aspiring Hero

I think @7up  makes a fair point, why should a 75+ year old with £400K get a free TV licence? Same goes for £399K or £200K, so where should it stop?  Perhaps the newly announced system is fairer because it means that only means-tested people, i.e. those in receipt of PC, will get the free licence, but it also means that those who are entitled to claim PC but do not do so, perhaps because they don't know about it, will miss out.

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Why stop there, no reason why the Government  can’t means test the state pension...

8BKA
Pro

Don't give them any new ideas it may already being looked into

Brian A

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

wotsup
Champion

Whenever things stop being universal and become means tested there is a cost involved, I have heard figures of costing £250 million to means test the TV licence eligibility. The reason governments go for universal pensions and benefits is that it is cheaper for them.  The Bloated Broadcasting Corporation is overstaffed and inefficient compared to its independent competitors.  If all over 75 people refuse to pay the BBC and government will have a massive PR problem on their hands, and many pensioners will be better off in jail with everything paid for and three meals a day.

The other thing about means tested things is that many people are too proud to claim them and lose out. For many over 75 the TV is their companion.

wotsup
Champion

The Bloated Broadcasting Corporation justifies its decision by saying 52% of people responding to a consultation said ending free licence was justified. According to its sister company the Brussels Broadcasting Corporation  52% is not enough to leave EU, maybe the BBC need to hold another confirmatory consultation........

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 7

@wotsup "...many people are too proud to claim them and lose out."

Neat idea from the BBC ( revenge on the chancellor or simply the law of unintended consequences?). As part of the support service for pensioners the BBC are going to help those entitled to pension credit, but who don't claim it, to do so.

Apparently "Up to £3.5 billion of available Pension Credit went unclaimed."   https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-8135

So the clever chancellor saves the treasury £745m by scrapping the Free TV licences, but ends up paying a significant chunk of the £3.5Bn in unclaimed credit. Austerity win?

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@RobPN 

Well yes he does have a fair point, we were just wondering where the £400k came from. :tongue: 

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

There is a petiition here for those who would like to sign it. I tend not to m'self as a lot of these nag you for another one down the line once they have your details?

As for those high income pensioners paying, whilst that seems fair enough it does not seem fair that if for example 25% of pensioners are wealthy, that the other 75% who are not going on those 'round the world cruises' should have this particular benefit taken away from them. 

Many have saved hard or have been fortunate with being able to afford a very comfortable retirement and good luck to them, really, but it does seem wrong that the majority (and it is the majority) should carry an even heavier can.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Minivanman wrote:

@RobPN 

Well yes he does have a fair point, we were just wondering where the £400k came from. :tongue: 

It's was a random figure - many old people own their homes which are worth mega, others have a lot of cash stashed in the bank. My partner used to work for a county council call centre where they dealt with caring arrangements for the elderly - she frequently used to come home with tales of callers who had hundreds of thousands in the bank - while we were struggling - and that the state seems to prefer giving these people an easy ride while crucifying people like us.

Sorry but if you're minted you shouldn't be getting a TV licence free while others struggle to pay for one.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Luzern
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@RobPN wrote:

I think @7up  makes a fair point, why should a 75+ year old with £400K get a free TV licence? Same goes for £399K or £200K, so where should it stop?  Perhaps the newly announced system is fairer because it means that only means-tested people, i.e. those in receipt of PC, will get the free licence, but it also means that those who are entitled to claim PC but do not do so, perhaps because they don't know about it, will miss out.

@RobPN @7up I think we need clarify what the £400K consists of. Is it the property lived in or investment savings? Around here a semi i ~ £300K. A simply glib answer is to downsize, but suitable properties are not in plentiful supply. Retirement proprieties carry high ground rents and service charges, and can be near the 80 years remaining watershed, where the lease becomes a depreciating asset. All in all that road may not yield much in income.

Moving to a cheaper area. Maybe, but after years in one's place with friends gathered over them, would you relish the thought, unless to be near offspring to aid you?

Of course, we oldies could sell-up and go on the streets:rolleyes:

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Luzern 

Beat me to it. :thumbsup:

Property has no value unless you sell up, stash the cash, and either live on the streets as you say, or move in with the kids. 

As for having £400k @7up random or not I would suggest that as a proportion of the population - unless you live in Saudi Arabia - there are very few people that have that sort of money floating around in their bank. 

PS. As for any downsizing, my next house move (which is never going to happen) in that direction would have to be one of those 'eleven months of the year only' holiday chalet type houses... or a tent on Tooting Common!