cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free television licence for over 75s scrapped.

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

Re: Free television licence for over 75s scrapped.

@7up wrote:

It's was a random figure - many old people own their homes which are worth mega, others have a lot of cash stashed in the bank. My partner used to work for a county council call centre where they dealt with caring arrangements for the elderly - she frequently used to come home with tales of callers who had hundreds of thousands in the bank - while we were struggling - and that the state seems to prefer giving these people an easy ride while crucifying people like us.

Sorry but if you're minted you shouldn't be getting a TV licence free while others struggle to pay for one.

@7up 

My bolding above.

I'd assumed your £400K was a random figure.

It depends what you call a lot of cash, but I suspect that if someone had £100s x 1000s in the bank as opposed to owning a house, then they wouldn't be eligible for state or council aid.  There is a difference between that figure and whatever the allowances are before eligibility ceases. I don't know the actual figures are, but I've seen £10,000 and £16,000 bandied about as threshold figures for some benefits.

RobPN
Aspiring Hero

@Luzern wrote:

@RobPN ... I think we need clarify what the £400K consists of. Is it the property lived in or investment savings?

@Luzern 

Let me clarify my comment;  I was referring to '£400K savings' which is what @7up  referred to, not money tied up in a house which wasn't the inference that I drew from his post.  :wink:

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 8

@RobPN Thanks, but the matter did need clarification. We certainly don't get near £400K of investment savings, but i admit with our individual state pensions, and employers' pensions we live in moderate comfort, so we will not mind having to pay, even did we not watch BBC output. Something like the BBC is a social blessing.

On the more general matter of pensioner benefits, although we take advantage of them, I wooed prefer that the state pension were more generous, so all benefited, but paid tax. As to  pension trimming, it'd too easy to find benefits to remove, a popular one in tory thinking being the triple lock, but there's not a peep about the loss of age allowance. One I would keep is free prescriptions. I don't smoke, yet I'm still a ten-a-day man. I feel for those on the margin for free TV too.

To my mind real selfishness of old people lies in moaning about having to sell for care, so that it can't be passed on to the kids.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@RobPN 

As somebody on receipt of Pension Credit, there isn't a savings limit, but if you have over £10,000 then it will affect how much you recieve. Not unlike as I said earlier with the DWP taking off that £100 a month private pension I get.

I understand why they do that and I sort of half agree, but the years of making additional pension arrangements as we were encouraged to do and then be 'penalised' for having done so does leave a bit of bad taste in the mouth.

As regards to that television licence, I cannot credit the Government who are now having a pop at the BBC after dropping it into their lap to sort out. Hypocricy or what.

RobPN
Aspiring Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

@RobPN 

As somebody on receipt of Pension Credit, there isn't a savings limit, but if you have over £10,000 then it will affect how much you recieve. .

ISTR that in effect there is a savings limit insofar as your benefits are reduced according to how much savings you have over the £10,000 threshold.

I'm not sure if the method is still the same as it used to be but they assume (unfairly at present interest rates) that for every £250 you have over the £allowance, you earn £1 in interest per week and reduce your benefits by that amount.  So an extra £10,000 in savings would reduce your benefits by £10000 / 250 = £40 per week.

I don't know, but there may be an upper cut-off amount of savings above which benefits aren't payable.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Luzern 

"I would prefer that the state pension were more generous, so all benefited, but paid tax"

Small matter maybe, but what would be the point of increasing the state pension and then taxing it? I suppose there must be a difference seen in 'earned' income from a private pension and 'un-earned' income from a state pension, but still.

Add to that if I may, but even on a state pension we all pay tax when we spend it! :rolleyes:

Also if I may with regards to being "real selfishness" in moaning about paying for having to sell for care. To damn right I'll moan. I've worked hard all my life and paid tax into the thousands and for the State to grab what little I have at the end of my life... well they can go whistle up a fanny.

Anyways, I did a quick check a while back about going into a care as it's something a lot of us oldies worry about, and I was quite surprised to learn (although I cannot recall the figures) at how few people as a percentage actually finish up in care so fingers crossed, I'll not have the baliffs knocking on the door as my coffin is being carried out!

PS. We have a 'joint and several' arrangment on our house which we organised some years back which means whichever one of us pops of clogs first, half the house is left to the kids and the other half to the surviving partner - so the best of luck to 'em trying to sell half a house in order to pay for any care. :wink:

Live long and prosper... hopefully.

Champnet
All Star
Fixes: 2

State pension, private pension all goes in the same pot for tax purposes. 

For most of us anything over 12.5k is taxable....

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Great eh, taxed at source, taxed on content (ie on a bottle of plonk) and then VAT stuck on top of that again.

Is there a tax on funeral costs?

Champnet
All Star

.....not even a tax deductible expense.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Hmm, seems that some costs can be tax deductable. :thumbsup:

How I would claim once I'm dead is another matter!

Champnet
All Star

.....only if you’re not the one in the box.

madswitcher
Rising Star

I think the BBC have gone to the dogs.  They seem to have forgotten that they are a public broadcasting service NOT a commercial business.

Mike

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Are they not both?

Highlighted
madswitcher
Rising Star

Hi Minivan,

I seem to remember that their charter was to fund public broadcasting by subscription.

Mike

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Indeed, but they also operate in the commercial sector. Doubtful though I may be wrong, that they would last long if funded entirely by that licence fee alone although granted it is dominant. 

They certainly know how to spend our money that's for sure. :smiley: