cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free television licence for over 75s scrapped.

idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Free television licence for over 75s scrapped.

I see the BBC has now put this up

TV licences: Up to 3.7 million over-75s to pay licence fee

Nuff said. No freebies for me then :sad: Sooner the licence is scrapped the better.

Ever helpful. :grin: Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

@Champnet 

Only if Grandma is in receipt of pension credit which I would suggest is unlikely if she is living with them - and which I think is what you are saying. Going to be holes in the system sure, but I can't it happening here.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@Champnet   I have just started a new company, which you may be interested in.... 

Rent-a-Granny....

You can rent any granny over 75 on a yearly contract basis,  Rent is £100 per annum, paid in advance. no refunds on any granny who "passes on" or "moves out" during the rental period.  Other T&C`s apply

If you decide to join "Rent-a-granny" you will save at least £50 per year on t.v. licence fees... but you are obligated to feed/clothe & maintain the granny in good health during the rental period.

:cool:

Highlighted
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 7

@billnotben

In the end you have to say it was a neat bit of austerity politics on the part of the  conservative government. They get to do away with the free licences the government used to give to pensioners, but get to blame the BBC for it rather than taking the political hit themselves.

TTman
Seasoned Pro

@shutter  Already tried a similer scheme outside B&Q ...rent a pensioner on pensioners day at B&Q to get discount..didnt work - pensioner were grumpy especially in wet weather and store manager objected to hut in car park!!:rolleyes:

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

@shutter wrote:

@Champnet   I have just started a new company, which you may be interested in.... 

Rent-a-Granny....

You can rent any granny over 75 on a yearly contract basis,  Rent is £100 per annum, paid in advance. no refunds on any granny who "passes on" or "moves out" during the rental period.  Other T&C`s apply

Can you supply one that’s keen on gardening ?

Community Veteran

@Champnet  Unfortunately, No.... The T&c`s clearly state that Granny cannot be used as cheap labour.  "Granny should be treated with respect, and forced labour is prohibited, Other forms of labour are also excluded". .

Champnet
Seasoned Pro

@wisty @Thanks for the explanation.

Maybe they should look at a single or couple of aged pensioners being the only occupants of the house.

My mother, being completely blind was entitled to a 50% discount, never made sense to me, but couldn’t claim because I was still living in the house looking after her. I did watch the TV so I thought the rules were fair, she preferred the radio which at the time was another license....

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@shutter 

Have you got any 'under 40 years old grannies' available?  :wink:

Champnet
Seasoned Pro

Thanks @shutter but I think I’ll try eBay....

Community Veteran

@RobPN  Sorry, only over 75`s available. :smiley:

Community Veteran

What happened to all the pubs and clubs that used to have "Grab a Granny" nights.

Community Veteran

They died a death...  :shocked:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Good!

Why should pensioners with £400k savings get a free TV licence paid for by a 19 year old with no real chance of a future while working at McDonalds?

To many OAPs have a sense of entitlement - yet feel they can make that same accusation against the young who are facing harder and harder prospects in life.

Sorry but that's the way it is. I don't care if some of you here get offended by that, you're not the younger generation being milked to pay for it.

Obviously I do support poor pensioners having a TV licence free, they also deserve to have some sort of perk like others who are struggling however those who have money should not get a free licence.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Champnet
Seasoned Pro

The old argument was that the savings made were les than the cost of mean testing.