Did you mean: 

Free primary school meals go wrong

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Free primary school meals go wrong

21 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Free primary school meals go wrong

The chances are that the kids unwittingly ate more vegetables (that were on the pizzas) than they would have done normally  Grin
Pizzas can be very nutritional - I worked for Domino's Pizza many years ago and with the appropriate toppings and not too much cheese could be quite a balanced meal Smiley
Community Veteran

Clegg was doing his regular radio phone-in this morning when he took a call from a 9 year-old boy about free school meals.  Listen to how the boy tore into Clegg Wink
School Meals
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Nice one Artmo.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

That lad was far more articulate than cleggy who was  umming and awning half the time, can't understand how anyone can take his party seriously after all the things he has said in the past.
nanotm
Pro

that lad sounded like someone considerably older than 9 with a penchant for helium, it was clearly someone trying to have a jibe without revealing who they were, had they not been so pathetic though they might of been on to a winner there, clearly plenty of schools have problems over seating space and being tied to a single hall for use as both indoor activity centre and feeding place, particularly since a lot of schools sold off land and buildings during the late 90's because
The population is shrinking and we no longer have need for such large educational establishments, indeed in the future many will close or shrink further as the numbers of younger generations further contract"
given by one Gordon Brown during an autumn statement in reaction to public outrage at the wholesale development of school grounds by private developers without any identifiable benefit to the local area, just like most of his other predictions he got that one wrong as well.
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

I don't think he was the pathetic one Roll eyes
The radio station would have known who he was, they go through checks prior to putting anyone on air Wink
nanotm
Pro

don't get me wrong I think the whole idea was half arsed, poorly planned ineffectually researched and implemented so haphazardly as to contravene several food standards in several areas limiting the schools to horror bags (like the one my child goes to) if clegg had any brains he would of instituted a raising of the income cap on free school meals from the paltry £14995 annual household limit to a far more realistic £30,000 household income limit and granted free school meals access to everyone under that threshold with a statutory requirement for everyone over the threshold to pay for school meals, and rescinded the ability at central government level to bring your own food in for all school children.
that would of targeted the meals at those most in need and improved standards for all children in education in one fell swoop, it also would of cost less than the current shenanigans where caterers are being paid to give out cold packed meals but being paid as if they had provided a hot 2 course meal, never mind all the extra rubbish being generated ......
and perhaps the caller(s) to the show should of pointed that out, myself I sent an email to that effect to several of the governments listed addressees (which probably didn't get read) months ago when the plans were first announced!
Community Veteran

indeed, there is people who can afford it getting free school meals whilst services like social services are getting cuts.
Steve
Pro

Quote from: artmo
The radio station would have known who he was, they go through checks prior to putting anyone on air Wink
What kind of 9 year old listens to LBC, during the day, and has access to a phone, whilst at school? Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
nanotm
Pro

the kind that looks like Ed Milliband  Grin

and in all seriousness the last time I rang a radio station call in program from a payphone I got onto the air live without any checks being carried out, and that was last month, I doubt anything more than a glance at the caller id was checked certainly they were unaware I was using a payphone and had no idea who I was in reality
Community Veteran

Quote from: M
What kind of 9 year old listens to LBC, during the day, and has access to a phone, whilst at school? Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

He phoned prior to going into class. Many schools now allow pupils to take mobiles into school so long as they are switched off during lessons Cool Cool
Fixes: 123

I thought Clegg did his utmost to belittle the boy rather than show any respect for him.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nanotm
Pro

most of the ones I'm aware of locally confiscate any handsets that are seen or known to be switched on during the school day and some secondary schools have similar rules, the only exception being if your a registered young carer, I cant see any responsible primary or middle school having a different policy due to the potential for bullying and other disruptive behaviour from those who don't have a mobile.
Community Veteran

Certainly not the case in Essex. Many schools allow a pupil to take a mobile once they reach 11 years old.