Did you mean: 

Free car

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Free car

Hi All
[quote="Would a free car stop people taking sickies?"]
The sick note is to be replaced by the fit note, as some employers are offering incentives to stop us calling in ill. But how far should bosses go to stop us taking sickies?

This is nuts.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Free car

Not really, it parallels the way the DDA works in that services/ employers are obliged (with the DDA but not in this case) to make adaptations to meet peoples needs.
In this case it means that people who could quite reasonably work, but for short/medium-term medical reasons maybe not exactly in their normal way or for normal hours, will have the opportunity to agree with an employer additional support or different type of work rather than sitting at home doing nothing and getting bored and potentially getting paid less too.
I don't think it's mandatory on employers to make adjustments so if they can't readily accomodate someones condition then they stay "off sick".
I recall some years ago a secretary in our department who had a broken (upper) arm, for which it was just put in a sizeable supportive sling and she was given painkillers - no cast, it was the best way to heal it apparently. She got fed up sitting at home so came in to work for a few hours each day. The company was rather concerned and didn't really want her there (elfin safety...) but discussed it with her doctors and agreed in the end.
David_W
Rising Star

It's a pretty good idea.  If you wake up in the morning feeling slightly blue and think "I'ma not bother going" and pull a sickie, you lose out on possible rewards for attendance (what the article is about).  If you have marginal people who are undecided on going/not going, giving them an incentive to go "you can win a car!" is better than them phoning in sick and leaving the rest of your workforce to cover for them.
scootie
Grafter

simple, NO sick note no pay. Easyest and fairest way i think.
me and the GF kicked up a fuss at are kids primary school meeting when they wanted to offer an ipod to the kid with best attendence record over the year.
school and work is mandatory so why should there be extra rewards for going to school/ work.
plus this primary school is shocking at marking kids as abcent when they have been taken out of school for doc ect appoitments, why should they lose out because of the schools mistake.
and what the hell would my 5 year old son do with an ipod, this what he does to them.  Angry