cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Weight Watchers on the NHS?

Community Veteran

Free Weight Watchers on the NHS?

New recommendations by NICE (National Institute of Health and Care Excellence) say the NHS should fund weight loss classes for obese people:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10859344/Most-Brits-need-slimming-classes-NHS-guidance-...
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/nhs-must-treat-obesity-patie...
I still don't know why there are no tax breaks for gym memberships - lower VAT or tax relief should be encouraged in my opinion.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Free Weight Watchers on the NHS?

Gym membership doesn't guarantee weight loss Wink
I pay £80 a month for membership and when I look at some of the other members I am amused that they certainly don't benefit from weight loss for their fees.
Weight loss is a combination of eating the right foods, eating less and exercising. Self discipline is essential if it's going to work for you.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo

Agreed, but I think people are more likely to lose weight by going to a gym rather than not going to a gym.
There are also the group of people who are already fit and healthy. They should be a lower financial burden on the NHS and rewarded accordingly.
Community Veteran

A lot of people go to the gym as a social occasion where they meet others. Big problem with this is that they then retire to the cafe-bar  Wink This only applies to the social gym goer. There is a hard core gym user who take their training extremely seriously, measuring everything they eat and drink.
Community Veteran

Is this the same NHS with its burger bar hospitals.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

it wouldn't be necessary if they still held the weekly nutritionist meetings at local hospitals for the people who require them, of course since they closed most of them already they need a private company option which when combined with all the other failing private company options actually cost 3 times as much as maintaining all those now closed hospitals would of done, never mind the lower standard of service being offered all in the name of progress and cost efficiency......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

There are schemes available at present.
Here's one from my County Council:
Shape Up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: AndyH
Quote from: artmo

Agreed, but I think people are more likely to lose weight by going to a gym rather than not going to a gym.
There are also the group of people who are already fit and healthy. They should be a lower financial burden on the NHS and rewarded accordingly.

Oddly enough  if you look at some of these body builders who are never out of the Gym they are grossly overweight due to the weight of  their muscles despite the fact they have virtually no  body fat  and lower fluid levels . I have known people fail to lose weight despite working out at a Gym
Forget the Gym  good long walk everyday plus eating the right food in the right quantity. Is the solution to most peoples weight problem.