cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free TV licence for the elderly under threat?

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Free TV licence for the elderly under threat?

Had to happen I suppose and all cards are on the table with this being considered by the BBC - but what a rotten thing to do and yes, it would affect me as there is nearly a ten year age gap between myself and Mrs Minivanman which would mean this old codger having to wait until he's 85 before qualifying for that free television licence!

Bonkers, barmy and mean all at the same time. Must be some kind of record.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/may/22/over-75s-lose-free-tv-licence-bbc-proposal

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
47 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Free TV licence for the elderly under threat?

I believe they should do away with the TV licence altogether , let them sell adverts to get income !! in works for every other channel 

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Indeed, want to raise revenue? Bring back dog licences, only this time at £100 a pop - or should that be a poop. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 124

Not sure how bringing back the dog licence would help the BBCWink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Yes,it's unfortunate, but as the BEEB is not government with its unlimited funds from your and my pockets, it'll have to find ways to finance itself. Personally I'd rather forego a free or subsidised licence than our principal entertainment media go commercial with all its high ethical standards Roll eyes

@Minivanman One plus for you is your young spouse to look after the old codger; I hope that's so!Smiley

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
nadger
Rising Star

SWMBO is 9.5 years younger than me so I have to survive another 3 years ( until I'm 85) so she's guaranteed freebie if they still exist.

Current 3 year licence runs until June 2019.

Steve
Pro

I would like to know what the BBC spends its TV tax on anyway. 

Anonymous
N/A

Full annual report and accounts available here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/insidethebbc/howwework/reports/ara

Community Veteran

It's time the licence was scrapped completely.

It would be different if paying for the licence gave me some say in how the money was spent. A sort of shareholder.

The BBC is more like an elite club where membership entitles you to have an overpaid job for life.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

All this talk of age 85? SWMBO is 5 years older than me - I've endured toy-boy remarks for 44 years - she got her free licence when she turned 75...

Has something changed?

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 10

As someone with no TV license (I only watch catch up and IPTV *not the BBC iplayer*) I fully expect the TV licence to be scrapped over the next few years anyway.

It seems silly to me that we're all forced to pay for the BBC regardless of the quality of their output.

Jono H
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

if the licence is scapped then it'll just mean the general taxation is increased to cover the short-fall.
those who think the BBC will suddenly start paying for itself with no licence fee are deluded.

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 10

I fail to see how they would be unable to support themselves via advertising if they wished it.

The reason I think that the TV licence has its best days behind it is because younger people no longer watch TV in the same way that previous generations have.

The new rules are

You need to be covered by a TV Licence to

• watch or record live TV programmes on any channel
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand.

Myself and many like me can now watch as much TV as we like without having to pay, this will quickly become unsustainable and they will either as you say have to change how its funded (via direct taxation or some other method) or the BBC will have to adapt and become a commercial organisation

Jono H
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

JonoH wrote:

I fail to see how they would be unable to support themselves via advertising if they wished it.

that's the key point.
Would we want the BBC to be full of ads to fund itself?
one of the main gripes about TV is the amount of ads.

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

@chenks76 - very true about the ads, but as I rarely watch TV live anyway, the FF button is very useful.Smiley

John