Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Parking for NHS Doctors, Nurses, Cleaning staff

Highlighted
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: Free Parking for NHS Doctors, Nurses, Cleaning staff

This is a old news

Just checked with my daughter to make sure I was correct she has not paid for hospital parking since April at the hospital where she works

They have their own multi story car park and an over flow site which is not used by the public

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-to-provide-free-car-parking-for-nhs-and-social-care-st...

Over the past number of years most government employed staff (except those at the top) have seen their pay increases limited to 1% PA and changes made to pensions will see a considerable reduction in what a final pension will be.

Quite correct and it was the Tories who are making the big song and dance now

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 38

@HelloDuck   Yes, and the key wording of that link is....

for the duration of coronavirus (COVID-19).

After that..... ?   well, it`s back to being lowly paid, and almost ignored by everyone, until the next time they need to go to hospital

The government, and others, are referring to the NHS as "heroes"... for the way they have conducted themselves.,... selflessly putting their own lives on the line...

We have many "heroes"  in the Armed Services.... a lot of them got recognition by being presented with a medal... and those who died, during their service to the country, get a special day of remembrance once a year, when everyone stops what they are doing for a 2 minute silence, to remember/think about those who died..then , of course, there are all those other remembrance days... VE day...End of WW1 ... end of WW2 .... VJ day.. ...........

Will we have a NHS remembrance parade/service/day of "celebration" ? for the next 100 years (and more) ? ?   nah... you can bet your bottom dollar, by the end of this year, they will only be remembered by their family who will be grieving them at Christmas, birthdays, and other family "celebrations"...

Giving the NHS hospital staff ( and the background service personnnel) FREE PARKING for the duration of their work at the hospital...not just .....

for the duration of coronavirus (COVID-19).

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

I see nurses get an additional personal allowance of £125 whilst airline cabin crew get £750 and pilots £1,022 (must be for those fancy sunglasses they wear).  This is worth £25 to nurses paying 20% tax, whilst senior first officers and captains benefit to the tune of £408.80 being in the 40% tax bracket.  Nice shades captain 😎 !

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Yes you have to have some sympathy for the poor doctors.

It must be very difficult for some of them to find a place to park their vintage sport car collections.

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 4

@shutter wrote:

Some how, I feel that you are being a little selfish in that approach to your hospital services.

Interesting to note that you are bemoaning the fact that you had to pay "well over £150 for that month" in parking fees.....  oh dear..my heart bleeds for you.....

And your final line of the first paragraph....

.. I certainly think inpatients should get a free parking allowance.

Why?    If you knew you were going to be an "in patient" then you should have got to the hospital via taxi..... and you would not have to pay for parking . and making the space taken up during your In-Patient time available to many other visitors during that period.

.. how much did the staff, who were treating you have to pay from their wages for all the time that they were on shift, during that month.... just to treat you  

I would suggest a minimum of five times that amount... and... they have to do that EVERY MONTH.. not just for one

Really?  I can see you must live a very organised life. You know exactly when you are going into hospital, even as a rush case. At 14.45, the wife was on the phone to 111 (turned out we'd have to wait for an ambulance as I was still breathing and not considered a emergency! Even though they thought I might have had a stroke) The wife decided to take me to A&E, got there just before 16.00, by 17.00 I'd been seen by a doctor and was having CT scans, blood taken etc and they decided I really needed to be admitted. The wife eventually left for home at 11pm - I was still hanging around in A&E. I got put into a bed at 4am. I certainly didn't know I was going to be admitted to hospital for 24 days in a row. Still, you would have known that in advance. Happy dreams.

Taxis? For one my outpatient appointments I did take a taxi. Cost £36 one way. If you can afford that sort of money for taxis on a regular basis, you have far more money to spend than I have. As @Strat mentions, some hospitals issue discounted vouchers. Ours do not. The bus would be cheaper but the nearest bus stop is about a one hour walk away - just over 3¼ miles. I wouldn't recommend it when you're very ill.

As for your heart bleeding, mine will for you when you get rushed in. Then I think you'll suddenly appreciate how reliant one becomes on other people coming into the hospital bringing you supplies. Even more so when you are drugged up to the eyeballs on morphine and incapable of doing anything by yourself. While hospitals might help you medically, feed you, they don't supply change of clothing etc. You might even find your visitors moaning about the cost and difficulties of parking there.

And like all people that work, you weigh up the cost of travelling as part of doing the job.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 38

OK...  .... but you still think you should have free parking... and all the staff who attended to you, cared for you, spent years training, and more retraining, fed you, cleaned the ward, and other areas,... should have to pay to park there..  but you shouldn`t

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@billnotben wrote:

Yes you have to have some sympathy for the poor doctors.

It must be very difficult for some of them to find a place to park their vintage sport car collections.

The only doctors who have vintage car collections are ones who come from wealthy families...I doubt the average doctor can afford such things.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@gleneagles wrote:

I doubt the average doctor can afford such things.

The few doctors I've known over the years had one thing in common. Their version of struggling to make ends meet was completely different to mine. And probably different to most other people.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

@billnotben I had a friend who was a solicitor and his version of struggling to make ends meet was different to mine. Obviously dont know what cutting your cloth to suit is. Roll_eyes

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

Junior doctors are on relatively modest salaries (enhanced by on-call payments at basic rate).  If they are on call (typically one weekend in three) from 5 pm. on a Friday until 9 am. on Monday, the hours soon add up.  The medical establishment and the government think it's quite safe for doctors to make life and death decisions in the early hours of a Monday morning when they have been on duty since 9 am. the previous Friday, yet lorry drivers, pilots, train drivers etc. are not permitted to work such long hours.

Consultants of course earn the big bucks and their NHS contracts effectively allows them to work 'part-time' in the NHS giving them the opportunity to establish lucrative private practices.  Some prefer to use their spare time to improve their golf handicap I'm told. 😀

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@billnotben wrote:

@gleneagles wrote:

I doubt the average doctor can afford such things.

The few doctors I've known over the years had one thing in common. Their version of struggling to make ends meet was completely different to mine. And probably different to most other people.

If you have only known a few doctors it’s wrong to assume most are well off, perhaps your comments relate to past times when indeed consultants were considered as gods and were all powerful....times have changed....

I was in hospital a few years ago for a few tests and on completion of those tests the consultant asked would I be kind enough to complete a questionnaire.......consisted of 4 or 5 pages and asked a range of questions which I thought rather insulting......

Did the doctor explain the procedure in non medical terms

Did the doctor look at you whilst explaining the proceedure

Were you given time to ask any questions

Do you feel you were listened to and your views taken into consideration..

Must have been 40 or more questions......

Can you imagine the outcry in some jobs or professions if a long list of questions like that was asked, they would be out on strike.

Being a Doctor these days is doing a job like any other, working in A&E and dealing with drunk relatives, or risking your life dealing with Covid 19 without the correct equipment...

Not a job I would want to do......

As for struggling to make ends meet, most of us know about that, but I do not begrudge what money some doctors might have......

Had you used some city boys making silly money in the finance sector as a example which cost most of us dear then I would have agreed with you but doctors are way down on that list imo.