Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Parking for NHS Doctors, Nurses, Cleaning staff

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Free Parking for NHS Doctors, Nurses, Cleaning staff

I am not a Facebook person....but I do believe that many a campaign has been started, and successful by people who use it.

so.. How about someone starting a campaign for ALL  hospital staff to be given a "Pass" or whatever  by the Hospital Trusts that charge for car parking at their establishments that enables their staff, who have worked diligently and in difficult situations, for the past three months, to park their car for FREE>..

It seems to me that would be a super way to reward them for their work, and be much more appreciated by them, rather than a measly £2 a week pay rise. ( or whatever they think they can get away with)

The scheme should include those who work  "in the background" supporting the front line staff, Cleaners, porters, kitchen staff..etc etc . ALL staff, who work at the hospital..

They work together as a TEAM... and without that TEAMWORK, the current situation could well have been much worse than it has been...

25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Free Parking for NHS Doctors, Nurses, Cleaning staff

Car parking charges should never have been introduced for hospital staff or patients and relatives who need to attend hospital on a regular basis.

Our local county council have large offices and a car park with free parking for staff so what is good for one group should apply to the other where the money is coming out of the public purse.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@shutter @gleneagles  Don't get me wrong but I'm not too certain its a good idea to have any free parking for staff. More staff parking, less room for the general public. And I and the family certainly know about parking fees at hospitals (I spent 4 weeks as an inpatient in hospital last year) at £4.10 (£5.00 after 4 hours) each time they came visiting (wife certainly paid out well over £150 in that month). It does rack up. And sometimes the wife had to drive around the car park just to find a space to park. More staff parking would just had to the congestion. Hospitals aren't built as car parks. I certainly think inpatients should get a free parking allowance.

Its the same with the NHS health surcharge for immigrants. The charges are paid for before they even arrive here, so why the fuss about it now? I really don't know. After all, the wife and her children had to pay the charge (seem to recall it was around £1200 each) and she's now a British citizen (at further additional cost I might had = i.e. thousands of £'s). No NHS surcharge refund, even though she has paid taxes, national insurance since she arrived, as no doubt the kids will do when they are old enough.

I'll get off my soapbox.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Pro

What about free parking for the taxpayers who pay for the NHS? It costs one and a half times a full HS2 every year without end!

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@idonno 

But how fair is it to charge one group of people who are employed by the government to pay for parking whilst others do not have to pay ?
How hard would it be to turn some open space into a free car park with a free bus taking staff into work at regular intervals ?

Thus leaving the car park open for visitors and emergency spaces for staff needing to get in urgently.

The priorities are all wrong imo, some money taken in car park charges goes to the private firm running and maintaining the car park the rest goes to the hospital......but...the NHS should not be trying to raise funds that way....the NHS should be properly funded and seen as a top priority.

Perhaps this current pandemic will drive home the importance of the NHS

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@idonno  In this case... I will "get you wrong"....

you are saying that if you are a patient.... or a relative,... YOU ( or your relatives/vistors) should have free parking...

but those whose skills you trust to treat you, look after you, ( including the back stairs departments ( or your relative if visiting) should have to pay for the privilege to care for you , and expect them to provide a top quality service.

Some how, I feel that you are being a little selfish in that approach to your hospital services.

Of course.... Everyone else should pay to park their car at the hospital..... but not me...  

My "proposal" for giving hospital staff free parking, is by way of acknowledging their skill and dedication to the job... caring for strangers.... people they do not even know... better than the care most of us give to those we DO know. 

Those who have been in the forefront of this virus problem, must have been scared to death of going to work every day shift.... every night shift... worried that they might catch the virus... or even worse, just catch it enough to be a carrier and spread it amongst their immediate family on their return home, after a gruelling shift. 

Don`t you think, that giving them the privilege of free parking, would help to improve their well-being, give them some sort of recognition for that dedication, and in the long term, help to retain the personnel with that dedication and skill, instead of them leaving the NHS to work for a Private Medical service.

Of course.... Everyone else should pay to park their car at the hospital... including those who care for the patients. ......but not me....

Interesting to note that you are bemoaning the fact that you had to pay "well over £150 for that month" in parking fees.....  oh dear..my heart bleeds for you.....

And your final line of the first paragraph....

.. I certainly think inpatients should get a free parking allowance.

Why?    If you knew you were going to be an "in patient" then you should have got to the hospital via taxi..... and you would not have to pay for parking . and making the space taken up during your In-Patient time available to many other visitors during that period.

.. how much did the staff, who were treating you have to pay from their wages for all the time that they were on shift, during that month.... just to treat you  

I would suggest a minimum of five times that amount... and... they have to do that EVERY MONTH.. not just for one ....

by extending the free parking to all the staff, whatever level of service they provide to the hospital or patients, would not increase the number of cars parked... so the current situation of finding a parking space will still be the same.

The problem is not with the Hospital Trust.... but... that the companies that run the Hospital car parking, are raking in millions in parking fees.. (for doing nothing really..... ). and thousands in "fines" for those who stay longer than they expected to be with their relative/patient. 

THEY should be re-investing those millions, in making the carparks into multi story parking facilities,  The Hospital trust only get a small percentage rake-off from the car parking ( as far as I know) ..

. Everyone else should pay to park their car at the hospital... including those who care for the patients. ......but not me....

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Among other reasons car park charges are there to free up spaces and stop people 'bay blocking' - and as someone already said more free parking for staff means less for public.  There were cases by us because the hospital is not too far from railway station and shopping where people were parking for free on NHS hospital and walking to station and shops,  introducing charges on NHS carpark stopped that. as long as parking money goes to NHS and not some faceless money grabbing carpark operator I cannot see a problem it does in some small way address the balance of people who use NHS more pay a bit more - and older people probably use NHS the most but no longer pay much tax and no NI stamp.

Highlighted
Fixes: 459

For a number of weeks my wife was in hospital with liver failure and parking cost us quite a lot.

On the day that she died of multiple organ failure I learned from a visitor to the next bed that I could have got a discount voucher to display in the windscreen of my car.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@wotsup   and the title of this thread is  ? ? ? ? 

not a discussion about the parking charges for patients...... but a discussion that should, I hope. lead to giving the NHS hospital workers some recognition for their dedication during a very difficult and stressful period...

As for parking near a railway station... if the car has the "clearance" on entry and exit from the car park operator, as a bona fide NHS hospital worker, then I see no problem... as those "commuters" will get charged for parking in the hospital car park...

the only problem would be in identifying them...although entry and exit times could also be monitored, and compared on a  daily/weekly/monthly basis, and any difference between hospital car park charges and station charges, should be collected by the carpark company by way of a PCN direct to the commuter.  

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@shutter 

I did not argue for free parking for patients they should continue to pay as I said 'to redress the balance that people who use NHS more pay a little more'' ,  but as someone else said free parking for one group of government ( ie taxpayer ) employees is not fair on others.  Nowadays with ANPR cameras on our local hospital ( and everywhere else these days ) it would be easy for employees car registration numbers to be entered into the database and not charged,  but hardly seems fair to exempt one group from charges,  especially when governments are trying to discourage private car use.... 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Fair ?   is it not fair, to give recognition to these people ?  

Seems fair enough to me....  hence my suggestion to give them Free Parking, as a reward for their dedication to the job, when all others have been told by the government to stay at home...

Fair ?.... was that fair on them ?   expecting them to go to work in dangerous conditions, while everyone else was safe at home ? 

Fair?  tell me what you think would be a fair reward for them  ?  a small pay  % increase ?  of course, so the higher paid get a higher percentage.... 

Giving them all the same benefit of Free Parking would be a very FAIR way of showing that we care , and appreciate the work and services that they continued to do, ... much more acceptable to them than standing at the front door clapping for a couple of minutes once a week...

Highlighted
Pro

When the economy totally collapses as a result of the government scaring a lot of the population into total inactivity hospital parking charges will be well down the list of things to worry about.

The front line of the NHS are doing a good job but like all the public sector they are doing it on full pay and pension contributions too.

"There is no problem too big that government intervention cannot make it worse..........." (iea June 2011)

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Most people who need to use the health service are usually full of praise for what it has done for them, Boris being one example but sadly the service is soon forgotten when the person is not using it and whilst full of praise for it that’s where it stops.

If health service and care workers had refused to treat patients until they got the correct equipment image what would have happened but the government knew full well that most people working in those professions were caring people and despite risking their lives were prepared to treat patients and continue to treat patients despite colleagues getting ill or who died.

We are lucky to have such people in a world where many are in it for themselves, free car parking is the least we should give them.

Over the past number of years most government employed staff (except those at the top) have seen their pay increases limited to 1% PA and changes made to pensions will see a considerable reduction in what a final pension will be.

Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 1

@shutter  Agree with a lot you have said but what about the staff who do not go to work by car they would have to be recompensed so that it is fair to them!Smiley

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Yes... issue them with a bus pass, or a discount voucher for train fare... even an annual footwear allowance for those who live next door/on campus...

not impossible to make it fair to all staff, is it ? ? ?   just needs someone to actually DO IT...