cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Money anybody?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Free Money anybody?

Two days ago, I received a large pack of a banks flyers and leaflets, a bank that I have never dealt with. Just another pile of junk mail I thought and binned it.

Yesterday, in the post arrived a Visa/Debit card for the same bank, complete with my name on it, account number etc. Odd I thought, I wonder what that is all about. A very elaborate mail-shot I thought, and forgot about it...

...until today's post which brought a sealed PIN number for the card, together with a £500 withdrawal ATM limit.

This was now getting out of hand, so I made a call to the bank and explained what had happened and suggested they sort it out post-haste as I had never had an account with them neither did I want one.

I was very rapidly put through to the banks fraud department, the guy who spoke to me apologised profusely saying that hundreds of people all over the country had been victims of a scam,

I responded by saying that perhaps they were the victims if less honest folk took it upon themselves to extract up to the limit of an ATM withdrawal. He said the account actually has a zero balance so that shouldn't happen. I enquired if this had actually happened anyway...after a short pause he declined to answer my question.

PM me if you want to know the name of the bank.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Free Money anybody?

Identity theft under way?

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

petlew wrote:

Yesterday, in the post arrived a Visa/Debit card for the same bank, complete with my name on it, account number etc. Odd I thought, I wonder what that is all about. A very elaborate mail-shot I thought, and forgot about it...

...until today's post which brought a sealed PIN number for the card, together with a £500 withdrawal ATM limit.

He said the account actually has a zero balance so that shouldn't happen.

Zero balance doesn't mean jack if there is a £500 limit that can be withdrawn.

Keep a look out outside your house early in the mornings. Someone is expecting that card to turn up and will try to intercept the postman in the friendliest "I live here" way possible in order to get their hands on that card.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

A few weeks ago I received a Facebook message asking me if I had lost a visa credit card.

The story went on, her husband had taken the dog for a walk in a local park and found a card with my name on and brought it home.

I ignored the message as I had the card in my wallet.

Coincidentally I received a letter a week before from my bank stating:

As you haven't used your credit card since it's renewal 2 years ago and don't appear to need it, we have cancelled it.

I'm happy with that.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Strat wrote: Coincidentally I received a letter a week before from my bank stating:

As you haven't used your credit card since it's renewal 2 years ago and don't appear to need it, we have cancelled it.

My bank cancelled mine many years ago as they said I never used it enough. But in recent years they now send regular pleading letters asking me to take their credit card.