Fixes: 55

Free McAfee Protection

I see I can now get it free from HSBC
I still won't let it anywhere near my PC  Roll eyes
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Free McAfee Protection

I wouldn't touch it either. Far too much trouble over the years has been caused by that [Censored]. Norton was a bit better.. but I wouldn't touch that again..
I've had far better exeriences with the free AV programs. At least they make a decent effort to try and persuade you to upgrade.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
greyposter
Grafter

I'm giving it a test at the moment.Seems ok.
Sad
Community Veteran

Re Norton I just saw this thread http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=307124 which has a worrying post
This is an old thing about Norton. Threats detected by signatures are automatically deleted, they don't have an interactive mode for on-access scanning.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

A Friend of mine recently purchased a new laptop that came with McAfee on it with a special offer to upgrade for 12 months for a fee.
As yet he has done nothing further as McAfee is saying his computer is protected etc so I am assuming it has come with the free version installed but the question is, is there any easy way to uninstall it and what free one should he replace it with.
Avast always served me well in the past but having moved to Linux (and loving it !) I don't bother with any anti-virus programs.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yes it can be uninstalled from the control panel. All new computers come with stupid trial ware AV installed these days and its the first thing to be got rid of.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Thanks, but what would you replace it with ?
Community Veteran

First thing is to look here http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews
I normally suggest Avira as the better of the free ones
Heloman
Grafter

My favourite after much trial-and-error was Avast!
I used to be an AVG fan, but it became too slow and erratic with it's updates.
Norton and McAfee caused all kinds of problems, and were just not worth paying for.
However  since I became a Linux-only user I need none of them.....
Anteaus
Grafter

NIS silently deletes software downloaded from sourceforge and the like. It makes it seem as if the software itself is faulty. It does this with anything it doesn't recognise, virus or no. I can see them getting hit with a lawsuit from coders sooner or later. Hopefully, sooner.  Wink
While back I got called to look-at a computer that was performing very poorly. The owner was considering replacing it, even though it was not old. Removal of Norton solved the problems.  As usual Norton had been forced on them, being preinstalled. They were delighted that the computer had been 'repaired' so easily, but also very angry that something they didn't ask for in the first place, and which they had been forced to pay for, had crippled its performance right through its life, and had almost caused them to scrap it.
It's time that the regulatory bodies looked at the whole business of preinstalling software which demands payment.