cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Laptop anyone?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Free Laptop anyone?

A scary tale from the BBC about dumb teachers signing rip off contracts.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-19681437 and the bank taking some responsibility. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-19667657
Always read the contract!
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
28 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Free Laptop anyone?

Sickening isn't it.
Its amazing how this kind of idiotic stuff keeps happening since Tony Brown and the Liebour party took over and has continued under tory control as if its perfectly normal.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I think you're wrong Sprite, these things started way before Labour came into power. It's just that nobody has bothered to do anything about it.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The clip does seem shocking but care must be taken that one is comparing like with like.  Last year's press reports re IT procurement by government did not do so.
http://fullfact.org/factchecks/public_sector_procurement_laptop_cost_cabinet_office-2854
Community Veteran

This seems to happen in all public services.
Personally I think it could be cured overnight by lots of big posters with "If this was your own money would you really pay that price for it?" on them.
Seriously with the bulk buying power involved, the prices various government services pay they should be absolute rock bottom. Which is why most people cannot understand how these problems occur. Which takes us back to the old I don't give a damn it's not my money.
Fixes: 125

When my mother worked for ILEA she was moved the the accounts department at the local college.
It was her responsibility to ensure the bills were paid. Apparently her predecessor just paid all invoices without checking them. Things like the BT bill invoice was always higher than the actual cost of calls/rental. When questioning about she was told to just pay it as it wasn't her money. Thankfully she didn't  and estimates she saved the college 10s of thousand of pounds over the few years she was there.
The 'It's not my money attitude' is so wrong in public service as it is actually 'your money' paid from taxes and such.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: alanf
The clip does seem shocking but care must be taken that one is comparing like with like.  Last year's press reports re IT procurement by government did not do so.

I think its more widespread than what most people know of or are allowed to know of.
When I worked for a government department years ago we paid £75 per box of A4 - boxes like you can buy at tesco with 5 packets inside. £75 per box  Shocked
Did anyone there think this was wrong? No. The managers were all more than happy about it. The only bloke that did grumble about it was the stationary man who used to swear like crazy about how we were being ripped off and paying £70 more than we needed. He used to be in there fuming about it knowing that as the little man, despite being right, he was wrong in the eyes of management and they'd ignore him. Roll eyes
Fixes: 47

Yes I read about that. Being a consumables supplier to a government department was like striking gold.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Yes it really was. The prices they charged for other things was also ridiculous. Iirc a plastic ruler was £8!
Considering the amount of paper the place got through in a week (so much that a lorry would come to pick up the 'secure waste' every 2 days to shred / burn it) I couldn't believe that they'd buy it at such a high price and then tell us that they couldn't do anything about the low wages in our dept. It was really taking the pee.
Still, it probably funded some top secret thing somewhere like the plans to invade iraq for oil or something..
JamesM
Grafter

One school is paying £175,000 for an £11,000 photo copier, this Government has got no clue whatsoever. I know how we can save some money lets take the burden off local authorities and give the schools more freedom.
Great idea, honest people losing thier jobs and schools nearly forced to close, while con men get rich. Way to go Cameron.
Fixes: 47

It's absolutely staggering.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

@JamesM I wouldn't lay this at Camerons door alone (although yes under him public spending is increasing) but it definitely got silently worse since Tony Blair came to power imo. When John Major was in power the government didn't like spending money. Blair gets in an within a few years money is being spent all over the place on things that were previously unaffordable.
I remember when the humble dustcart would look like it was at least 10 years old. Now they look no older than 2-3 years and have a space ship bridge on the front end thats bigger than our bathroom.
Where I live, the yellow lines on the roads are repainted every year. Years ago they'd be repainted every few years if that.
My local council years ago spent £Mega on consultants to be told a building with steps wasn't suitable for wheelchair access Crazy That council isn't alone, I've read of loads of them spending £Mega on consultants for stupd things.
I think billnotben has got it right.. These people should be made to think if they would be happy to spend their own money so easily and to be held financially responsible for wasting public funds.
I think the best thing a lot of public depts could do is to open up a position for "Common Sense Officer". Someone who has to be consulted on whether things really are a good idea or bad etc as clearly the management have all lost the plot. The CSO could be anyone as long as they're from a working class background so they know how to make their money stretch.
Community Veteran

Quote from: JamesM
One school is paying £175,000 for an £11,000 photo copier, this Government has got no clue whatsoever. I know how we can save some money lets take the burden off local authorities and give the schools more freedom.
Great idea, honest people losing thier jobs and schools nearly forced to close, while con men get rich. Way to go Cameron.

Schools come under local or county council control, not central government control.
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Foundation schools have total control of what they spend their government money on.
Ah, should get to sleep at this time of night.  Embarrassed
JamesM
Grafter

"Teachers didn't sign million pound contracts unless they had been checked and approved by either the local authority or experts at the department for education, but as the "GOVERNMENT" pushes to hand more financial independance to schools, those experts have largely gone, victims of the cuts".
"So what happened to these experts"?
"The change in Government"
Sprite, I agree Blair was too over the top, getting too many backhanders and making up job titles just to suit his cronies, but Cameron surely can't be that out of touch that what he thinks he is doing is working.
Artmo, who do you think sanctioned the cuts for these financial experts to lose their jobs, not the local or county council.