cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free HDTV without cable

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Free HDTV without cable

Just been reading about  TVFOX HDTV ANTENNA  Which claims to be able to receive the "low level" LIVE to air transmissions provided by Cable TV companies ( as part of their legal requirement to provide cable tv service ).

Sounds like a good idea... and "in theory"  I suspect it could work....  the "original" from TVFOX is being advertised at $30  .. and claims to be able to pick up the signals as far away as 30 miles from the TV transmitter source ...

However... if you do a search on Ebay  for  TVFOX HDTV ANTENNA you will find plenty of offers from £1.99  buy it now...  and if you do some further research... regarding "product reviews"... a mixed response,...but generally saying it don`t work... 

I suppose if you live in a big residential area, with a couple of local tv transmitters in the area, you may be lucky...

but..d

Here is site that gives better information... and at the end the guy praises it like it was gold nuggets.!.. (including the q&a section at the bottom ! )..

http://best-hd-antenna.com/tvfox-antenna-review-2017/

Doing a bit of research on Google, came across this site..

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/operations/about_the_coverage_checker/

(edit   the link may show an error notice,... but the checker on the right of the page does work! ) 

Put your postcode and house number in the boxes on the right hand side... and it will show you how many HD channels you are likely to be able to receive... ( in my location it "could" be 16 ! )..

It also shows that next year I have to retune the tv`s to "retain present services"... and again later in the year, when the number of channels will be less ! ! !   ( WOT  ? )

Has anyone tried it?  did it work for you? 

28 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 30

Re: Free HDTV without cable

@shutter - You need to fix the broken URL or use this:

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/operations/about_the_coverage_checker/

Community Veteran

@Mook My links both work... !    the only difference between your link for the coverage checker and mine, is that yours ends with a /   Yes,... I see it gives a "sorry its not here"   but the checker still works on the right  of the page... try it  !

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

@shutter Thanks for that link, I'd tried it a while back, and forgot to bookmark it.

It tells me I can get the BBC/ITV HD channels, but it is telling fibs.Smiley

I can get 1-5, ITV2,ITV4, C4+1,More4,Film4,E4,ITV+1,CBBC, CeBeebies, BBC News and BBC Parliament - No HD channels, and apart from 1-5, no guarantees about the other channels in anything but perfect weather.

Our local 'booster' transmitter is about 900 yds. away but some genius decided to locate it in the middle of the local wood - great idea!

John
Community Veteran

That's odd as when I click on your link above I get this:

Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 15.30.58.png

Edit :- The checker is on the right but cut from the image. :-)

Community Veteran

@jab1  ( sorry thought it was you and not @Mook  posting the pic ! ! . ) Embarrassed

yeah strange ennit... cos when I use @Mooks link.. i get the proper page full... but either way.... the checker on the right half of the page is what is important... and you @Mook carefully cropped that bit off your pic  ! ! ! ...

Heavily edited version  ! ! ! ... Shocked

Community Veteran

shutter wrote:and you @Mook carefully cropped that bit off your pic  ! ! ! ...

Which is why I edited my post. Wink

Community Veteran

@jab1 did you put a tick in the "detailed view" box below the post code and house number boxes  ?   Gives a lot of detail about the channel transmission characteristics

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

@shutter I did, it does, but it is still wrong - I have no chance with HD channels (not that I notice much difference when watching them on my mums' Virgin-connected TV anyway) and as said, other than 1-5, other channels decide not to work at random.

John
Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 4

Here's what I got..

Channel Checker.jpg

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

shutter wrote:

Just been reading about  TVFOX HDTV ANTENNA  Which claims to be able to receive the "low level" LIVE to air transmissions provided by Cable TV companies ( as part of their legal requirement to provide cable tv service ).

Erm, that only applies to the US, here in the UK, as already pointed out, we have Freeview, which provides channels supplied by cable and satellite, so, if you have an aerial, you get HD channels with a freeview HD box........

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

If you connected a android box / chromecast / firestick to your tv would this not get you HD channels ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

No, they get you HD streamed content, which is different to channels broadcast over the airwaves to the schedules set by whoever runs the channels... Smiley

Community Veteran

twocvbloke wrote:

shutter wrote:

Erm, that only applies to the US, here in the UK, as already pointed out, we have Freeview, which provides channels supplied by cable and satellite, so, if you have an aerial, you get HD channels with a freeview HD box........

Yeah... was kinda , thinking towards that, after reading about Freeview... probably why those "poor" reviews on the UK ebay sites ! ! ! ... saying it don`t work...

Going off topic a bit..... On our "new"      42" wall hanging tv... we can get channel 87 on freeview,   but on the smaller 22"  ( a bit older )... BUT ... Using the same aerial on the chimney.. ( I split the downlead to supply both tv`s , as they are in the same room ).. despite a retune on the 22" telly.... channel 87 does not appear...  got any explanation for that discrepancy  ? ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Channel 87 appears to be on one of the Freeview HD multiplexes - does the 22" TV get any of the Freeview HD channels?