Free Broadband

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Free Broadband

14 REPLIES
gnicholson8
Grafter

Re: Free Broadband

You're required to take out a Tesco home phone contract?
Other than that, it seems no catch, doesn't even mention a FUP.
Subject to availability. 'Free Broadband for 12 months' is available to customers within our network area. Customers outside our network area will receive an equivalent discount of £6.00 / month on the broadband component of their package for 12 months. This offer only applies to the broadband component of your package; line rental and call charges still apply. To be eligible for this offer you must take Tesco line rental at our current price, please see www.tescobroadband.com/pricing for further details. You must quote promocode BBSAVER on registration. See tescobroadband.com for full details on tariffs and terms and conditions.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I've been thinking of signing up for their broadband for ages but I'm never In their area to get It sadly.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Open your eyes.... the clue is in the first line of text ...... underneath "Get Connected"....

This amazing offer gives you 12 months of unlimited Tesco Broadband for FREE!

The broadband "usage" may be "unlimited".... however the "offer" is not.... and then you are stuck with them... (until you change again.....again....again....again...).
Nowt so expensive as a Free Lunch....  Roll eyes

Community Veteran

12 months is hardly a catch !
Nothing to stop you moving after that, who knows someone else might be offering 12 months free broadband ! ( HINT)
Community Veteran

Yeah?  well, if you want the hassle of swapping your ISP everytime a "Free" Offer comes through the door, then go ahead... Personally, I prefer to use a decent reliable supplier, than go shopping around for free offers...
What annoys me with suppliers, is,.... once they have you signed up,... all the "new" offers seem to bypass the existing customer base, however loyal they have been....
Perhaps they ( PlusNet included ) should have a "bonus month",... or some other reward to loyal customers... suggestion.... 1 month free for every year you stay loyal?  .....
Community Veteran

No I am not thinking of moving, more than happy with Plusnet.
Just curious that they can offer FREE broadband for 12 months surely they are losing money ?
Which comes back to my original question, which you partly answer, what's the catch ?
gnicholson8
Grafter

The catch is, the majority of people who transfer over, won't transfer away once the free period has ended.
It's the same as car insurance, offer a fantastic first year price as people are less likely to leave afterwards.
WTF
Grafter

I actually tried to join Tesco twice, right after I moved to my current house and then a year later.  Unfortunately, the address database on the website is way out of date and didn't list my house.  Despite contacting them several times on both occassions, they were apparently incapable of either fixing or working around this very minor problem. I have to wonder how good their BB service can be when they can't over-write an address on an HTML form.
On the updside, Tesco's failure did lead me to PlusNet who, I have to say, have been excellent.  Hope they continue to be coz I just signed up with them for the next 2 years  Shocked
Re car insurance: I could never understand why my renewal quotes were always so dire as I always check on comparison sites so never end up taking them.  I just figured everybody else does, too: it's not like it's difficult.
Community Veteran

I have just read the T&C with that offer.... nowhere does it stay how much your "free unlimited" broadband will be AFTER 12 months... so that is a catch....
Also... checking on the "offer"... to get the "free" unlimited BB... you have to take Tesco line ransom... and pay £4.50 for anytime calls...  ( another catch ).
My current set up with BT is for anytime calls and line ransom is £20.00..... shifting to tesco would save me 60 p per month...
I am with PN for my unlimited BB.. for £9.99  .... tesco after 12 months could be much more than that...... so a big risk in shifting over on the "promise" of "free unlimited"....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: gnicholson8
The catch is, the majority of people who transfer over, won't transfer away once the free period has ended.

They must also be making a reasonable amount on the £14.90 per month line rental + any calls package + any chargeable calls + call features + connection charge...
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: shutter
I have just read the T&C with that offer.... nowhere does it stay how much your "free unlimited" broadband will be AFTER 12 months... so that is a catch....
NORMAL PRICE: £6 a month (FREE for the first 12 months)

Updated Link....http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/11/tesco-begin-offering-free-uk-broadband-calls-year.html

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I'm sure that when I looked at Tesco a year or so ago one catch was that calls to support were expensive. I see now that it is an 0345 number so that is no longer an issue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Wasn't/isn't it supplied by TalkTalk?  Grin
Steve
Seasoned Pro

It uses Vodafone's platform now.