Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fred Goodwin rrefuses to give up £653k per year penson

techguy
Grafter

Fred Goodwin rrefuses to give up £653k per year penson

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7912651.stm
Very little ministers can do to recover the mony apparently, how about a 100% tax?
When I changed jobs it came to light that the person who managed payroll at my previous employer had messed up my tax to the tune of about a thousand pounds, they sure had no trouble recovering that from me.

Edi to correct title
27 REPLIES
StickyMick
Grafter

Re: Fred Goodwin rrefuses to give up £653k per month penson

Any relation to that other comedian of the same name, Ken Goodwin?
Community Veteran

It surprised me earlier today when he said he would think about handing the money back. Undecided  Didn't take him long to make up his mind did it Shocked
Community Veteran

Hey Mitch, Don't you mean £653k per year pension?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'm not defending him but, would you give it up without a fight?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

People such as those don't get where they are by being hampered with a conscience Angry
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

If you had walked around the area where this guy lives in Edinburgh - you would be amazed at the size and grandure of the mansions  hereabouts, and the REALLY expensive cars floating about.
I have no idea which street or house - but it in the Grange area of Edinburgh - alledigly 
johpal
Grafter

Frankly, I am astonished that no banker has yet faced criminal charges for what they have done. How about "obscenity"?
Fixes: 102

why?
Did Tony Blair give up his pension or pay anything back for all the whoopsies he made that cost us more than the bankers did?
Nope didn't think so.
Did this guy decide how much he was going to get paid and how much his pension was like the MPs?
Nope didn't think so.
So when those hypocrites in Westminster become transparent and accountable  I might listen to them.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Quote from: johpal
Frankly, I am astonished that no banker has yet faced criminal charges for what they have done. How about "obscenity"?

Good rhyming slang in that sentence.
The sad truth is what specific criminal law have these people broken? Clearly there is a moral issue at play, but criminal charges?
I am not sure the government is complicit with these events, however for sure, the bankers are running a business, they base this information on actuaries providing data about what to/not do ... also as Mervyn King said the other day, about the FSA, if the FSA was going to intervene they would have been accused of interfering in what everyone believed was a market only ever going onwards and upwards. I expect if the actuaries tried to make the same point they would have been accused the same way.
Also lets be clear that although we may get changes in government, which changes the ministers, the 'advisers' to those ministers do not change much, so who is really in control there?
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and also, some bad mistakes were made by British banks but far worse in other Countries, Japan, Iceland, America, Holland, Shall I carry on
techguy
Grafter

Re: Fred Goodwin rrefuses to give up £653k per year penson

You cant really compare Phoney Blair to RBS (much as I think the guy is a grinning imbecile) as while he may have sent our troops to war because Bush said he should (getting rid of Saddam was a good idea in my opinion) but we are not propping up his ailing bank at present are we?
Community Veteran

But could the banks shareholders, customers etc etc get together and sue the directors - or are directors liabilities limited ?.
but good to see that the banks lost their appeal against office of fair trading yesterday  Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran

I think the government is simply trying to take the spotlight off their own actions by concentrating on Goodwin's pension.  They know it will touch a nerve with most people. also it has been stated today that the government were aware of this pension at the time of the bailout.  Why didn't they deal with it then?
techguy
Grafter

Apparently the Chancellor is saying they thought it was legally binding
@Mal oh was it announced yesterday? Maybe thats why it took so long for me to receive a reply from my bank to a secure message, they were all looking at the net and then off down the local pub to drown their sorrows  Smiley
Nah my main bank are quite good on that stuff, always very helpful as went a little over my OD for about 24 hours just before I was going to get paid and the system applied a £30 charge, I rang and explained it was due to my mistake and they refunded it straight away.