Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fray Bentos pies

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Fray Bentos pies

@HairyMcbiker wrote:
However I have NEVER EVER had or expect to eat a steak pie in a tin! Go to your local butcher much better and using real limps of steak not nearly mince.

The one I had last week actually had chunks of cow in there (not many, granted), which compared to the 90s era ones was an improvement, but, the lack of flavour and the lack of content just made me feel disappointed considering for the money I could have just gone to asda and bought a pack of their freshly baked steak pies which contain more meat...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yep but that would involve me creating something original and editable - which would be a challenge.

Good point though, I wonder where my local butcher is. Used to be one which is no longer there so I have no idea. Since Tesco seems to have taken over my area it is getting difficult to find anything else.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

@Alex I meant buy a PIE there rather than the raw ingredients. But SHMBO does make a very good steak pie, recipe from Aldi several years ago. We make up 4 at at a time and stuff them in the freezer.
There isn't really that much in one if you want to make your own.

We had 2 butchers locally but the best pie maker retired several years ago.

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

I got a Fray Bentos steak n kidney pie from Home bargins today and it was full of gravy 3 bits of tiny meat lol

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Tasty pies I used to find, by always more gravy then meat. :sad:

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles

Something to do with that pie shaped tin maybe? Never easy opening something that is not square on.

Mention made of those corned beef tins, well they can be lethal so whenever I tip that lid back after opening one (not often I might add) I wrap a tea towel around it first. That way if it slips you don't slice your finger. 

Been there, done that. Arghhh! (expletive) 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

@Minivanman

Corned beef - I've done that, I remember when I was trying to open one at uni.

The bit of metal the key went round snapped. Oh no what do I do I thought?

Decided it would be a good idea at the time to use a knife to force the can open.

Got it open but not without cutting myself lots of blood and swears later.

Ended up chucking it, which is what I should have done in the first place.