Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent items on one of my credit cards

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

Fraudulent items on one of my credit cards

I have to admit that I have been lucky for a considerable time, but it had to happen in the end!Huh

On the bill received today there was an item nearing £200 for a motor part, which clearly I didn't buy as I'm defo not DIY. I looked up my account and there was another charge for £82 to a northerly amusement park. I don't think at my vintage, years = chargeFunny, that would be likely.

Obviously I phoned the card issuer, and with no ado the charges were removed, and new cards should be with me early next week, though that is not a worry. They are reserves that are used infrequently to keep alive.

I cannot think how the number was obtained, unless i was from my search of major online goods supplier, which I searched for electronic items, and somehow my details were found. I never use that card with them.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Fraudulent items on one of my credit cards

Had similar five or six years ago, my card supplier called me, asking if I had recently visited India (I hadn't) as there was unusual activity on it in India. All the charges were removed, I never did find out how much was involved since I wasn't sent a statement for that period and the card issuer wouldn't tell me. A new card was issued.

Two years ago, my debit card was hacked to the tune of more than was usually kept in the account, to purchase a large number of event tickets, which made the perpetrator somewhat easy to catch when he tried to collect the tickets. Again the account was restored to normal. But I was a bit lucky that time, I only found out as I attempted to take cash from a ATM and was refused, it wasn't until I called the bank fraud team it all came to light. It took a week of relying on my wife's card.  

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 18

Many years ago, before credit card fraud was the issue it is today, my Chase Manhattan statement included several high value hi-fi and other "brown goods" purchased at various outlets in Surrey.

Chase sent a form on which to list the genuine transactions, and immediately issued a new card. I told them there was only one occasion when  the card was out of my sight for a minute or so, and I knew the place and time.

That must have been when it was cloned, or whatever, but I heard nothing further.

When somebody says it’s not about the money, it’s about the money.
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

The other day I went for my dental check-up, and although all was well, the dentist recommended that I see the hygienist.  As it turned out they were able to give me an appointment that someone had just cancelled for that afternoon so my credit card account now has two transactions carried out four hours apart at the same dental surgery.  I was half expection the bank to call me worried that my card had been stolen by a thief with teeth so bad he had to see the dentist twice a day!

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luzern wrote:

I have to admit that I have been lucky for a considerable time, but it had to happen in the end!Huh

On the bill received today there was an item nearing £200 for a motor part, which clearly I didn't buy as I'm defo not DIY. I looked up my account and there was another charge for £82 to a northerly amusement park. I don't think at my vintage, years = chargeFunny, that would be likely.

Obviously I phoned the card issuer, and with no ado the charges were removed, and new cards should be with me early next week, though that is not a worry. They are reserves that are used infrequently to keep alive.

I cannot think how the number was obtained, unless i was from my search of major online goods supplier, which I searched for electronic items, and somehow my details were found. I never use that card with them.

Is your card contactless ?

They can be swiped by someone standing close to you apparently...

Though this should only be for small amounts.

We don't have contactless Credit/Debit cards, we just asked the bank for non-contactless ones, which they supplied.

Or use a RFID blocking wallet.

We will always go with the card in a restaurant, for example, to pay the bill.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

@Jonpe wrote:

I was half expection the bank to call me worried that my card had been stolen by a thief with teeth so bad he had to see the dentist twice a day!

I am surprised that they didn`t phone you... Perhaps they are still chewing it over....

Highlighted
Hero

@AnonymousYes, contactless, but the last time I paid for anything within the limit in a shop was three months ago; my debit card even earlier for a kid's fare.

Can info be stolen even with the card not in use?

The sole other transaction in the month was to pay PN LRS, where the system held an old number for another provider's card, and I couldn't amend the details, so had to complete the transaction by phone. I am not going there with any suspicion.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Hardly a month goes by without some major security problem regarding card transactions, BA being the most recent one.

In addition there must be thousands of smaller incidents of card fraud which never hit the headlines and in the past people have lost money where the bank has placed the burden of proof on the customer to prove the bank was at fault, fortunately this has recently been reversed so the onus is on the bank to prove you were at fault.

Personally I only have 2 cards, never felt the need for more, fortunately never had any problems......so far !

Highlighted
Hooked

The site that I assume the OP is referring to always saves card details so when I order anything from them I always remove the card from my account immediatetly afterwards.

On a more general detail, why does Amazon not require the security code to be entered? That is a clear point of vulnerability and, I think, should be made unlawful.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Have to say I agree with you. I use Amazon quite a lot (probably far more than I should really) and am always surprised how simple the check out process is, especially the "one click". Their add card checking is best described as rudimentary.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Hero

@A1 though, as I wrote, for the search on A, they don't hold details of the card I was using with PN. I was wondering, if there was the most remotest chance somehow the details of the 'unknown' card could be ' found' trough the search.

On the more general point, I think that such a decision may arise from the fact that once the initial consignment is paid for, delivered and no objection from the customer made, A considers the risk to themselves and the consignee negligeable. Moreover card issuers generally are customers of Visa  etc, who use further validation checks with ' Verified by Visa' and the like. The rely on passwords and more that are separate from the physical card, or a person who may have recorded its details. For both business and consumer it is management of risk to an acceptable level.

Myself, realising there is no foolproof  security, I accept some risk and live my life.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I haven't had it happen for what must be a good 10 years ago - then it was for 2 computers ordered in the USA. Did the same - contacted the CC company. New card issued. Didn't hear any more. I also had a card compromised on a French camping booking I made online! Again, no problems but getting a new card that time was a complete pain. Had to contact more than a few companies to give them the new details etc.

Nowadays though, I usually get a text message to contact the CC if they have concerns. I think it depends though on the business of the company involved. Moving cash abroad I usually get a message. Items to be delivered to here, very rare. One thing I never do is phone a given phone number just because it says we're CC company X etc.

Strange to say, even using my card 6000 miles away, not once did I get a phone call. And I hadn't contacted the company (they say no need) to tell them where I was going.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Hero

@idonno I suppose it hangs on systems 'knowing' about a cardholder's spending habits. Meanies like me will not spend recklessly to buy a cadillac just because stateside.

We must be careful, but the media love a scare story, especially if they can bandy around large ££££s, which are beyond the general public's understanding. It's the opposite of £10 per month over a year to buy something worth less than £120. We fall for that one too. 

In 2014 the UK mortality rate was 9.34 per mille, but if someone of a family group of 10 dies, for them it's as 93.4 mathematically, and psychologically far more/However for the issuer can take a view, offset the risk in the price of the service. Surprisingly the value of fraudulent  transactions to total turnover is extremely low low: 0.08 pence per GBP 100 transactions in 2016.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

My credit card company used to require me to let them know if I intended to use the card in another country, but this practice has now ceased.  I have no problem with that kind of security; it's after all my money they are looking after.

I don't use my card on line much, and usually - as I understand it - the retailer doesn't get the card number, it's just transmitted to the credit card company who authorises the transaction.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Since the debit card hack mentioned in a previous post, if I am likely to be paying a larger amount, lets say in access of £100. I'm inclined to call the fraud team of my bank to let them know. I have the direct line, its usually a lot of security questions, but I don't mind that, the fraud team is only too pleased to assist, being forearmed they do not then query a larger payment.

Recently, when or at least attempting to use a new phone app for one of the petrol companies that I had never used before. the request for setting the payment (before fuelling) was declined. A few minutes later I received a text from the bank to confirm the last three (or attempted) transactions on my debit card, until I did my card was blocked.

Slightly annoying at the time, but to be honest I don't have a problem with it. As soon as I confirmed the card was immediately unblocked. As far as I'm concerned they can do that as often as they like. The whole process is actually quite quick, it can though get a few odd looks from the vendors.