cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frankenstein tomatoes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Frankenstein tomatoes

So according to the BBC genetically modified tomatoes are on the way to our shelves. Their purple colour is from the anthocyanin present naturally in blueberries which is "good for us".
Will I buy these?
No.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Frankenstein tomatoes

and as usual the BBC are grossly over hyping things
The tomatoes are being used for juice for experiment and there is no intention or even possibility of the tomatoes being in the shops due to the EU Rules
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Erm... yuk
Community Veteran

I hope they really are thoroughly sieving out the seeds as they say.
A Tomato is a tough plant. It would only need a single seed to make it to a rubbish dump.
WTF
Grafter

Weren't tomatoes originally purple until the Victorian's used old fashioned genetic modification (i.e. inter-breeding the plants that produced redder fruit) to make 'em red?
Or am I thinking of strawberries ..?
Community Veteran

Carrots were purple.
Community Veteran

Community Veteran

"unfair to use public citizens as guinea pigs..." 
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

My father had his own attempts at 'genetic engineering' tomato and potato plants.
Ok, not exactly genetic engineering but he used to argue that.."potatoes and tomatoes were of the same family '  To prove his point (and because he was a bit of a rebel) he grafted tomato plants onto to seeding potatoes. They survived and bore fruit too.
He argued that two crops from one planting would be more effective. There must have been some problems though he never planted a whole greenhouse or field.  Huh
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: doris
Carrots were purple

I got some purple carrots last year.  Bit of a disappointment as the purple was only skin deep.  Plus they tasted exactly the same as regular carrots.
TORPC
Grafter

Makes you wonder what the original colour, taste of vegetables are supposed to be when the were 1st discovered before man tried altering them ?Huh
WTF
Grafter

Older people often complain that things tasted better when they were young, though not so much 'different'.
I wouldn't be surprised if there were some truth in things not tasting so good, though it's always going to be hard to separate actual changes in flavour from deminished sense of taste, of course.  I found out recently that if you like things like strong flavours like espresso, strong blue cheese, 'big' red wines like Syrahs and so on, it almost invariably means you have hardly any taste buds.  In fact, the list pretty much covered all my favourite things.  Guess I don't have any taste buds left  Shocked
TORPC
Grafter

Since giving up smoking over 13 months ago & not looking back Smiley Wink
I have found or should that be re-found my taste buds and some food I liked when I smoked I can not stand any more like Gorgonzola cheese, Hottest, spiciest foods are now reduced to their mild forms,
For Example and do not know if any one else has the same reaction to hot / spicy food
The hottest Curry now makes me have the hiccups where as when I smoked it never caused me to have hiccups
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Dont like tomatoes  Wink
Community Veteran

I only like tomatoes I grow myself as the really tasty ones you get in the markets in France just aren't available over here