cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frank Field Resigns

Community Veteran

Frank Field Resigns

Labour MP  Frank Field has resigned the the Labour whip.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45359009

He quotes anti-semitism within the party.

Will this cause even more trouble for Corbyn?

4 REPLIES 4
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 8

Re: Frank Field Resigns

Are the Tories, so clean of racist viewsas to point the finger?:undecided: 

Frank Field has always been IMO a sensible, thoughtful MP.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

The fingers are being pointed within the Labour party at Corbyn, nothing to do with the Tories.

I agree with your comments about Frank Field. Sincere and honest. An MP respected on all sides of the House.

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

What's he got to lose?  At the age of 76 he doesn't need to work to make a living, and - unlike those for the rest of us - MPs' pensions are extremely generous.

He might get re-elected; many forget that Ken Livingstone became Mayor as an independent, beating his own party's official candidate.  It's a risky business though since it might split the labour vote and let another party in, but with a majority of over 25,500 there is little chance that the constituency will change 'colour' politically.  I'd be surprised if he isn't offered a seat in the Lords if/when he is no longer in the House of Commons.

Sometimes voters will vote for the person rather than the party they represent; when I first moved to this constituency, we had a Conservative MP despite not being a typical Conservative area.  Although I never met him, I understand he was a very good constituency MP so voters kept voting for him because of that.

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 8

Wasn't it at one time the custom not to have party names on ballots. as one was thought to vote the person. In fact it was very probably an idealistic fiction, but for the uncommitted to a party, yet committed to vote, it could be that to weigh up the man had some worth vs blind adherence  to a doctrine. Also the independent candidates, were they do steamrollered out?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.