cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

France & benefits

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

France & benefits

There has been some criticism from the French that our benefit system is too generous hence the reason why so many are trying to get into the UK.
From what I have read France has a massive debt problem and getting worse by the day with one reason amongst many that their benefit system is very generous.
Is it more generous than ours ?
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: France & benefits

If its that generous why is everyone trying to come here?
As far as i knew there was no benefits system over there. You're telling me there definitely is? - Great.. I'm off to dover to start again  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

it is far more generous for anyone who qualifies for the full package, however the vast majority of the illegals squatting in frogland either don't qualify for them or like the rest of the world have an ingrained deep seated hatred of the French (which is mostly jealousy over the food and beverage production capabilities)
there was actually an incoherent scrounger (aid worker to some apologist group for illegals) on the tv at lunch time explaining the problem is that 99% of the illegals who are camped out around the ports and chunnel entrances are only entitled to enter a claim in Italy but because of the uk's  criminal rights laws will be almost impossible to get rid of once they arrive here, so they can legally squat on French soil so long as they state they are awaiting travel to the UK having landed elsewhere.....
and therein lies the major problem, the only strange thing though is the rest of the EU encourages maintaining this problem (especially Italy who lets them land after cross the waters from Eritrea so long as they agree not to hang about .... as it ensures they don't suffer unduly to the floods of illegals and can prop up there failing economy by claiming central funding for every migrant that "lands" without ever having to disburse funding to the individuals, nor having to employ and operate proper boarder controls to prevent them entering EU waters ...
what I don't understand is why the frogs didn't take exception to the criminal activity earlier today and respond with lethal force like they would do in any other such riot situation, your not supposed to arm your plod + boarder guards and then tell them they cant shoot people engaged in criminal activities.....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
randpwar
Grafter

I find your name calling and use of derogative names to describe the French, at the very, very least, to be extremely distasteful; it tells me far more about you than it does about them
I can tell you that just having returned from a superb week on holiday in France that all of the French people my family and I came across treated us with good humour (as we displayed our French language skills), courtesy, friendliness and respect
Community Veteran

@randpwar, I fully agree with the comments in your first paragraph.
As I understand it, anyone entering the UK now will only be entitled to claim benefits after they have been here for 3 months and then the benefits would be paid only for three months. This should contain the numbers trying to get here.
There is a particular problem in Calais and it was announced that our Home Secretary and her opposite number are meeting to discuss this problem.
Community Veteran

I don't think you can compare like for like with social benefits as there are too many different variables.
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: artmo

As I understand it, anyone entering the UK now will only be entitled to claim benefits after they have been here for 3 months and then the benefits would be paid only for three months. This should contain the numbers trying to get here.
There is a particular problem in Calais and it was announced that our Home Secretary and her opposite number are meeting to discuss this problem.

maybe if that applied to asylum seekers you would have a point, it doesn't so makes zero difference to the illegals or the numbers of them arriving by the truck load from the continent
Community Veteran

Community Veteran

Quote from: AndyH
I don't think you can compare like for like with social benefits as there are too many different variables.

Interesting that there is such a wide variation across members of the EU, I wonder if they have made any attempt to reduce that level of variation, which I accept will always have to exist to some extent, perhaps this is one issue the EU should focus more attention on.
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: randpwar
I find your name calling and use of derogative names to describe the French, at the very, very least, to be extremely distasteful; it tells me far more about you than it does about them
I can tell you that just having returned from a superb week on holiday in France that all of the French people my family and I came across treated us with good humour (as we displayed our French language skills), courtesy, friendliness and respect

you read the whole post and felt so incensed by a word used in jest that you felt the need to post some pointless diatribe with nothing whatsoever to do with the topic at hand ?
hats off to you, I'm sure the  cheese mongering surrender monkeys will be appreciative of such actions, no doubt your going to respond with another equally pointless detractor to the thread without once touching the subject of the virtual army of rudimentary armed insurrectionists that pollute the majority of the "desperate" illegals who are attempting to secure passage to the UK, to the point that the mayor of one port town has threatened to have the crossing point closed if the UK doesn't provide armed militia assistance to deal with the problem .....
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
Great.. I'm off to dover to start again  Cheesy

Don't leave without me ,
Smiley Wink
randpwar
Grafter

Quote from: nanotm
Quote from: randpwar

you read the whole post and felt so incensed by a word used in jest that you felt the need to post some pointless diatribe with nothing whatsoever to do with the topic at hand ?

Your opinions are of no interest to me whatsoever and I have the right not to comment on them

Using terms to describe other nations that could easily be interpreted as racist are totally unacceptable and I retain the right to protest about that. I will take this further
nanotm
Pro

be sure to mention that the frogs also call the English Les Rosbifs, you don't find us jumping up and down about it being an insult, its just a comment on the national dish, I would of thought someone as culturally balanced as you claim to be would of known that, but hey ho live and learn
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
squatting in frogland

My sister and a lot of my family are French .....
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
Interesting that there is such a wide variation across members of the EU, I wonder if they have made any attempt to reduce that level of variation, which I accept will always have to exist to some extent, perhaps this is one issue the EU should focus more attention on.

But social security taxes vary immensely across the EU.
I think you'll find that French unemployment benefit can be very high - as much as 11,000 Euros a month. But the rules are quite tight and the employee contributions are higher than in the UK.