cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fracking protest

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Fracking protest

A light hearted view of some of the more eccentric participants http://www.kernelmag.com/topic/the-travelling-protest-circus/
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Fracking protest

And an old fuddy duddys view on the fracking protests - https://plus.google.com/114018232303831249060/posts/RMdMj4xx2dj
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Community Veteran

Not everybody is against fracking.  Here's an interesting article of a site that has been operating for 50 years without complaints from locals.  It produces gas that generates enough electricity for 21,000 homes.
It's a Fracking Success
Community Veteran

Another interesting article in favour of fracking.
Fracking
Community Veteran

If that is in favour it would certainly turn me off - fortunately that isn't how it would be allowed to operate here
Thunderclap
Grafter

Three great advantages of Fracking
1. Gas industry profits will soar
2. EU carbon tax revenues will soar
3. Hampshire will slump into a giant sink hole
But your energy bills will get ever more expensive
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'm at present working on the construction of a 4 x 700 MW oil fired power plant in Saudi Arabia. Saudi is changing from an exporter of unrefined crude and gas to exporting plastics, refined products and commodities. They are building power plant against a strategy, something the UK isn't doing. Also they are expanding their refining and plastics industry.
Look out Britain unless we get serious about energy policy and industry, Saudi will own the world and we will be not be able to pay our way.
Fracking is a once in a lifetime opportunity to restructure our energy industry. The US is doing it and has given their industries a boost by providing economic energy and a new feedstock for chemicals and plastic manufacture.
I would like to work in the UK but we aren't building anything! Crazy Cry
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Fixes: 47

Fracking and the products of it's deployment can give the country a much needed breathing space to seriously update it's energy industry.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Thunderclap

I love the small print - so true to form lol
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Glenn
Grafter

We need to build Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors (LFTR's) in which Thorium is the energy source, it's abundant and we'll never run out of it, it's to be found everywhere, so no wars need be fought over supply.
Plus there is zero nuclear waste, on top of that we can burn our present nuclear waste in these reactors to be rid of the waste once for all.
We can use these reactors to very easily and cheaply produce synthetic fuels for our vehicles and much more besides....and it has the massive advantage of being walk away safe.
I strongly recommend you watch this excellent video about Thorium energy, it will transform the world and we wont need any mid east oil.

Smiley
Community Veteran

The Chinese are doing a lot of development of this technology with the only real technical problem is developing materials which are stable in the long term to contain the thorium salts
One interesting fact is that one of the reasons it was dropped in the early stages of nuclear development is that you can't use it to make an atomic bomb so for poltical reasons the US, USSR, GB and France went down the U235/238 route
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Thunderclap

I would ask you for supporting information but I think your punchline was with tongue firmly in cheek!
Fracking is one of the best hopes for the energy poor. Plentiful cheap gas rather than expensive wind energy.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23069499
I hope the development happens like the attached article above. Living in rural North Yorkshire at Filey I could work from home  Cheesy
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: PeterLoftus
@Thunderclap

Fracking is one of the best hopes for the energy poor. Plentiful cheap gas rather than expensive wind energy.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23069499

in an idealistic world , obviously... cos the companies doing the fracking, will charge the same  price to rich and poor.... and blame the price on the cost of producing the "cheaper" energy !...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Sign seen this morning:
No Fracking of Syrian Badgers

Cheesy
Fixes: 47

A nice blend of news headlines Grin
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation