cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fracking in Lancashire

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Fracking in Lancashire

A government inspector is holding an public enquiry in February regarding fracking at several sites in Lancashire, however the government has just announced they will be the ones making the final decision.
As they have made clear they support fracking, or more likely the money it will raise, so what is the point of spending money on a pointless public enquiry ?
65 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Fracking in Lancashire

Just going through the motions  Shocked they have to show they pretend to care
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I think you'll find that the Government will be issuing licenses all over the place, due to the hold the Russians have on the global gas supply. The fact that it may have side effects like being able to light your tap like a Bunsen burner is not their concern as a fuel supply is needed to keep our own generators online. This is even more important now with all the coal plant being shut down and the delivery of new nuclear generation a long way away. It's exactly as you both say. Fracking is coming; like it or not.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I wonder if they'll be fracking in the Tory shire counties?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Just going through the motions .. 

I thought blokes who worked down the sewers did that!
Community Veteran

Quote from: vilefox
I wonder if they'll be fracking in the Tory shire counties?

Surrey, Kent, Sussex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Community Veteran

Cheesy
Cant say what I wanted to say about fracking!
It was something like "Well, fracking my ole boots!"
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

At one time you could not even say that as the word fracking was censored on the forum until the mods amended it

Smiley
nanotm
Pro

it will all end in tears it might take a decade but once the sink holes start appearing and swallowing up entire towns there will be all sorts of problems, the only safe place to frack would be offshore (about 100 miles offshore) where the odd sink hole getting produced wouldn't matter but sadly that wouldn't be possible due to all the chemicals required etc, we will end up doing the same things the yanks have been doing, when a town disappears down a sink hole either flood the area and use it as a lake or tip a load of earth and rubble into the hole and build over it .... either way some will die lives will be ruined, long running inquiries will be held and nothing much will come of it but some of the judiciary having been side lined will be made rather richer than they otherwise might have been ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

what an absolute load of garbage
nanotm
Pro

which bit of my post do you assert is utter garbage exactly, the hypothesis about what will happen or the fact that fracking causes sinkholes ?
Community Veteran

The depth of fracked gas layer in this country will be something in excess of 1 mile and there is absolutely no way it could create sink holes
The one case of a sink hole at Bayou Corne was actually due to an enormous brine cavern caused by extraction too close to the surface http://theadvocate.com/news/ascension/12870889-123/texas-brine-shifts-blame-to
Texas Brine Co., beset by a series of lawsuits blaming it for the Bayou Corne sinkhole disaster, is seeking $100 million in damages from Occidental Petroleum Corp., claiming that the worldwide oil driller caused the now 31-acre hole in the south Louisiana swamp.
The claim, made Thursday in Assumption Parish through a series of suits filed in ongoing sinkhole litigation, puts forward a theory for the sinkhole’s beginning that tries to deflect any liability for Texas Brine and partly contradicts the official theory of the sinkhole’s appearance in early August 2012.
State scientists and a special panel of worldwide experts have said for more than two years that Texas Brine mined a salt dome cavern too close to the dome’s outer, supporting wall of salt. A breach opened up in that salt wall and allowed surrounding rock to flood into the massive underground cavity carved from the salt deposit, creating the sinkhole in the cypress swamp near Bayou Corne.
Texas Brine now says an oil well drilled in 1986 near that cavern and operated at the time under Occidental Petroleum’s ultimate say was mismanaged and triggered the cavern wall break that sparked the sinkhole.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

The thing is ,, if they had just found Coal  Shocked Shocked yes there would still be people saying NO !!
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
nanotm
Pro

the shale depth in the uk is between 240m and 4500m below the surface obviously it changes in different areas according to the BGS website here http://www.bgs.ac.uk/research/energy/undergroundGasStorage.html
see figures 1a +b for illustration of depths in different areas
coal mining is dirty and dangerous coal burning is "bad" bio fuel would be cheaper per megawatt to use than fracked gas but building the plants will take too long because of all the nimbyism and still "bad" according to the eco morons, s with everything there is a trade off, to me the benefits of moving across to bio fuel are fairly simple, we makes millions of tonnes of it every month, the majority of it normally goes to landfill, changing that to hundreds of tonnes of ash for commercial reclamation as cinder blocks removes 100% of it from the being a problem
in the mean time some form of gas is required fracking is safer than retorting (methane extraction from the bottom of coal seams) and if its restricted to depths in excess of 2.4km might just be ok long term providing its not done for more than 3 years and only in a small area. which would give time for some bio fuelled burners to get built (well physically not legally because it takes 5 years to get planning permission for most things unless the govt uses its heavy hand for the public good)
there are other sink hole stories and other places besides a single old salt mine that was used for gas storage before it collapsed in Louisiana, and enough people disbelieve the big corporations when they say its not down to them because they get regular losses in courts ....that's also not the only examples of towns dropping into sink holes in the USA