Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fracking Good

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Fracking Good

Well, millions have and are being invested in renewable sources of energy but I guess we'll never agree.... and go round in circles like those wind turbines!

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 38

Wind Farms = Pointless

Tidal Power = Pointless

Both of the above, are to me, a complete waste of money until such a time as the output can be stored and used when demand needs it.

Solar Power = OK, works during the day when it's needed most, and should be mandatory on all new builds.

TM will (should) announce later that she is reviewing the cost of the power generated as it's currently way over the odds and does not represent any value for money.

Fracking - Still not convinced it's a good idea.

There is an ancient episode of Tomorrows World that says the time will come when leccy will be so cheap to generate it would cost more to bill than it's worth; we are all still waiting for that day, and I don't think any amount of gas generated by fracking will have any effect on our bills.

Fixes: 188

Roll on nuclear fusion.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 64.0 (64-bit)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Fracking's just another timebomb waiting to go off, we already have enough problems with the thatchered coal mines collapsing (because the decades of maintenance to keep the ground above from collapsing was ended when she made sure coal was uneconomical to mine) causing sinkholes, and it'll be even worse when fracking's the "old thing" that a future politician kills off...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

@twocvbloke

Do you mean we should have kept the coal mines open even though it would cost us a fortune to do so ?

At one time it was cheaper to import coal than mine it here.

Coal companies followed the seams of coal, if those seams went under houses then tough luck as the government owns anything valuable found underground.

I wonder how deep you have to go before the ground ceases to be yours and belongs to the government or if you go deep enough the Devil ?

Wink

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

How deep and how far, ask the Chinese. They are now making plans to colonize the moon and mars and no, I'm not making that up!

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

A solar powered plane has just circled the globe, just saying.

Community Veteran

@gleneagles wrote:

@twocvbloke

Do you mean we should have kept the coal mines open even though it would cost us a fortune to do so ?

Nope, my point was that closing and abandoning mines was a bad idea, because they're collapsing, resulting in sinkholes popping up all over the place, but if the mines were kept maintained, even if not actually being mined, then there wouldn't be the problems we have today with subsidance and sinkholes, and if you throw frack into the mix, then, we may aswell just abandon the country cos land values will be pretty much worthless due to severe instabilities...

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

"Roll on one" Wink

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

So Whitelee Windfarm, to name just one offshore location in the UK, is in the wrong place. How does that work then?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

@Mook

That is actually methane from a coal deposit close to the surface http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-23/condamine-river-bubbling-methane-gas-set-alight-greens-mp/7352...

Professor Damian Barrett, the CSIRO's lead researcher into unconventional gas, has been monitoring the Condamine gas seeps.

"The isotopic signature is telling us it's coming from coal at that point in the landscape but coal is quite close to the surface and there's a naturally existing small fault line, which cuts the river at that point," he said.

and isn't natural gas which we would be getting through fracking at a depth of over 1km

A bit more information on fracking in the UK http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/energy/oilandgas/10266881/Prof-Robert-Mair-Here-are-...

Over the past 30 years, more than 2,000 onshore wells have been drilled in Britain, approximately 200 of which have used techniques similar to fracking to enhance the recovery of oil or gas. Chief among these is Wytch Farm in Dorset – Europe’s largest onshore oil field, located in one of England’s most famous regions of outstanding natural beauty and special scientific interest, and therefore an area where the aesthetic and environmental impact of drilling are highly sensitive issues.

Community Veteran

Thanks for the link @Oldjim and on reading it there is no concrete proof that fracking / mining has or hasn't caused this, it may well be methane gas but my point would be would this seepage be there if the ground around it hadn't been mined / fracked or is it just a 'natural' consequence of the existing fault line, I guess that's something we won't get a definitive answer to.

I've not read the other link (yet).

Community Veteran

OK, I've just read the Telegraph link and err well it's nothing but common sense as I see it, and I have no knowledge of fracking and the wording used is all to do with risk management. I also read this:

Another allegation against fracking in America is that it can result in methane leakage. We must therefore start to monitor methane emissions and groundwater composition at potential sites now, before any fracking takes place (as well as during and after such operations). This baseline monitoring is vital, since methane can be present in groundwater naturally. Such data will be the only way of keeping close track of the environmental impacts of fracking in situ, and should be submitted to regulators to inform local planning processes and address wider concerns.

Was this done at the Australian site? I saw no reference to it in the article I read so I guess they didn't follow the Prof's recommendations common sense guide to fracking, OK I appreciate our geology may well be different from that down under but one can't help but wonder.

Community Veteran

@Oldjim thanks for the info in post #26. It is a sensible article and answers many of the doubts people have about fracking. These doubts are often due to ill informed opinions.

Luzern
All Star

@gleneagles wrote:

Wind farms.....ah yes.... How many have been sited in the wrong place and produce little electricity to justify their cost ?

How many birds have they killed ? How many people have been driven mad with the sound they make and how many times have they had to be turned off because it's too windy !

Tidal power and Solar power might be the way to go but these things are not without their problems and some problems only become evident after they have been in place for a few years.

More recent ideas include getting heat from below the ground to houses so well insulated with added solar power they are almost self sufficient and whilst I am in favour of such things in total they only provide a small percentage of our needs and that is why I support fracking despite the potential problems.

I am more or less with glen on this. One thing that I slightly disagree with is the matter of bird fatalities. My thoughts are of what is overall effect of the new technology on the particular avian life form's mortality rate.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.