cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fracking Good

Community Veteran

Fracking Good

Does anyone live in an area where fracking can be done?

If so you could hit the jackpot. The government is considering a scheme to pay households up to £13,000 each is they live in areas where gas can be extracted.

Fracking

It's another radical move by our new PM. Good on her!

38 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Fracking Good

It's a bribe, and one akin to buying that council house.

Many will buy into it of course, but at the cost of our kids or grandkids future? No thanks, or "dim diolch" as they say here in Wales (The south has all the making of a high fracking area) 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I agree, another good decision made by TM, might be useful if she followed this up by scrapping Hinckley and using gas fired power stations.

Whilst it's might appear good news for those in fracking areas to get such sums of money you have to balance that against the drop in house prices in those areas, some of these sites can only be accessed on narrow country lanes so there is likely to be more traffic disruption and noise for some.

At least they will get some money, better that then it going to the local council who will find more ways to waste it.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Yep, I'm with @Minivanman on this one, nowt more than a bribe. Yes, having a reliable supply of gas of our own would be good, so as we didn't have to rely on the Russians for supply, but I'm sceptical about its value, I think its too environmentally dangerous to even consider, there are videos online taken in fracking areas where they can light the gas coming from their kitchen taps FFS.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Those videos are rubbish - the gas has always been in the water their and it has nothing to do with fracking

Community Veteran

I expect the small print says you only get £13000 when your house disappears down a hole.

Minivanman
Hero

House prices will not drop any lower in south Wales, have you seen the filth the spew out of Port Talbot?

They sucked the life out of those beautiful valleys, scarred and abandoned them, and they will do the same after fracking so again, no thanks 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Minivanman
Hero

Remember north sea gas? it was so damp it was a real [-Censored-] to light! Grin

Minivanman
Hero

Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

You are talking rubbish

We already have fracking here - for oil not gas - and this is where it is

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.6641378,-2.0177652,4574m/data=!3m1!1e3

Minivanman
Hero

Your point being Jim?

Community Veteran

There has been a large range of things mined in this country for centuries, why is fracking any different ?

Balance it against the cost of alternatives and it's a good deal.

There are many well off protesters, often at university who make a career out of protesting about anything they can think of, I often wonder how they can afford to spend so much time at sit-ins when most people are busy trying to make enough money to put food on the table and a roof over their heads.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Well in my defence @Oldjim I took it at face value, as I knew no better, but what happens here in the UK remains to be seen, regardless of the legitimacy of these videos I still think it's a bad idea. Why on earth would you want to fracture the very earth under your feet, surely that's akin to standing on ice when you don't know it's thickness and throwing hammers around you!

But what about this one?

I've edited this post to show the video URL so you can read the comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvJAKVnK4qM

Minivanman
Hero

What is different @gleneagles is that we have moved on from sucking the life out of our planet, and technology and innovation have given us the tools to get all of our energy from renewable sources - wind farms (of which we have many around where I live) solar power (next door has them) and tidal power (Swansea is about to invest massively in this). 

I'm no tin foil hat wearer, conspiracy theorists and neither do I believe in the Illuminati but there are 'powers than be' alongside vested interests political and otherwise that are pushing hard for this. And nuclear power so that EDF and French contractors get as it they have done in the past 90% of the work to build the damn things? Yep you've guessed it, no thanks.    

Community Veteran

Wind farms.....ah yes.... How many have been sited in the wrong place and produce little electricity to justify their cost ?

How many birds have they killed ? How many people have been driven mad with the sound they make and how many times have they had to be turned off because it's too windy !

Tidal power and Solar power might be the way to go but these things are not without their problems and some problems only become evident after they have been in place for a few years.

More recent ideas include getting heat from below the ground to houses so well insulated with added solar power they are almost self sufficient and whilst I am in favour of such things in total they only provide a small percentage of our needs and that is why I support fracking despite the potential problems.