Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fourth plinth Trafalgar square

TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

Fourth plinth Trafalgar square

As the last coal mine in england has closed someone has suggested that a statue of a coal miner should be erecected on the fourth plinth in trafalgar square to commemorate all the miners who lost their lives providing the coal that drove the industrial revolution and helped the country to become a wealthy country. Anyone agree?Thumbs_Up

10 REPLIES 10
Mook
Champion
Fixes: 2

Re: Fourth plinth Trafalgar square

Hmm, that's a difficult one; as the miners are deserved of it but if there were a vote mine would be for I K Brunel who, if anyone, drove the Industrial Revolution forwards.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 31

Miners, Brunel, James Watt, there are so many deserving candidates. How about a referendum?

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
Mook
Champion

@198kHz It think there needs to be a vote on that.

TTman
Seasoned Champion

@Mook I wouldnt argue with that...But the woke generation might find a reason to stop that while a miner is a safer bet.Sad

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Isn't that plinth used for displaying temporary sculptures?  If so, it doesn't really matter what is put there, it'll only be there a few months.

billnotben
Community Veteran

If it's just a temporary passing phase sort of thing then it just as well be a plastic box with David Blaine inside.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@TTman wrote:

@Mook I wouldnt argue with that...But the woke generation might find a reason to stop that while a miner is a safer bet.Sad

Are you serious?! Imagine the reaction to a coal miner with a BLACK face after an 8 hour shift!!

I'll go for George Orwell who predicted the future with incredible accuracy.

billnotben
Community Veteran

Exactly what I was going to say.

The basic problem is minority groups interpret everything in a way that furthers their own agenda and views. It's long overdue that the views of the majority once again come first. It's time the phrase "don't be silly" came back in fashion for those listening to their claptrap.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 31

Very often while watching the news I half expect an interruption by The Colonel (Graham Chapman) from Monty Python.

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Mook 

"Hmm, that's a difficult one; as the miners are deserved of it but if there were a vote mine would be for I K Brunel who, if anyone, drove the Industrial Revolution forwards".

I made a point of visiting Kensel Green cemetery once just to go and see where he was buried. Took a while to find where exactly, but it felt good to pay homage to the guy and also take some photographs - I was involved in a local project about him at the time... long story. 

It was quite impressive as well being maintained and kept in good order by some railway society or other. Possibly GWR if memory serves.

A real visionary that's for sure and a sort of Elon Musk of his day. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.