Four of Sweden's telcos stop storing customer data after EU retention directive

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Four of Sweden's telcos stop storing customer data after EU retention directive

Hi All
Just seen this:
[quote="ZD Net"]
Telia, Tele2, Three, and local ISP Bahnhof have pulled the plug on the customer data storage systems required to keep the four telcos in compliance with Sweden's version of the EU Data Retention Directive.
"We have stopped all data retention, taking effect just hours after the European court verdict Tuesday 8 April. We have also permanently deleted all old records," Bahnhof CEO Jon Karlung told ZDNet.
The move follows a decision from Europe's Court of Justice on Tuesday which ruled the 2006 directive invalid €3m since it trampled on Europeans' rights to privacy and personal data protection. The same court fined Sweden €3m last year for delays in transposing the same directive into national legislation.
Since May 2012, Sweden's telecom operators have been required to store subscriber and location data for mobile, internet services, email, and internet telephony for six months — the lower end of the EU directive that required up to two years' retention.
"I strongly suggest other providers to follow our example. And I also advise European consumers to ask their providers how they act in this matter — put pressure on your service provider," Karlung said.
Read More Here
3 REPLIES
Devonian
Grafter

Re: Four of Sweden's telcos stop storing customer data after EU retention directive

I think before people start jumping up and down, we need to see could hard facts about the number of criminals that have been convicted directly due to data from an ISP being passed on to the Authorities.
I am all for privacy, especially when it comes to ANPR cameras, but with the rise in Terrorism, and international crime affecting the UK, then I think ISP's holding data is justified, as long as there is strong legal frame work to ensure it is never looked at without a court order.
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Four of Sweden's telcos stop storing customer data after EU retention directive

Do hacker(s) obtain a court order ?? ?Huh
Devonian
Grafter

I expect not, but then neither do burglars or murderers.