cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Four in five people don’t know how to use a zebra crossing properly

Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Four in five people don’t know how to use a zebra crossing properly

Interesting article by Petrol prices this morning.

I was AMAZED how many didn't know how to use them, but then that is normal these days.

article

25 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Four in five people don’t know how to use a zebra crossing properly

First you've got to catch it and get it to lie on its side!!

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Nah that's dead easy after all the Gov have been doing it all over the county for over 70 years now.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 60

Although I know the correct answer in practice I stop if someone is waiting otherwise what if someone steps on when it is too late to stop safely

Champnet
Rising Star

Travelling in most European Cities you seen realise crossing a Zebra Crossing is a free for all. Seems drivers can go over the crossing at the same time as pedestrians providing they don't hit anyone. This Continental practice is becoming common here along with a few others.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

A drunk man was having real problems attempting to cross the busy road as he staggered around.  A helpful young lady approached him. "Don't you know there's a zebra crossing just down the road?"

The man replied, "Well I hope its having better luck than me."

Okay, I'll collect my coat as I leave... 

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 51

In my area there is a zebra crossing near a school.

Twice a day there a mothers standing in a group at the crossing gossiping.

Motorists who think they should stop to allow these pedestrians to cross would have a long wait.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

As a pedestrian, I use common sense when crossing a road, be it via a pedestrian crossing - of any variety - or where none exist, by checking the traffic around me for speed, volume or whatever else will minimise my chance of getting squashed. Simple really.

John
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Am not surprised people dont know how to use them , Parents don't teach their kids !.

Near me a road has 3 schools , served by 3 zebra crossings you would think its obvious to learn your kids how to use them ,, BUT no sadly more than 60% wait at side of road for lights to go red and cross between stopped cars Lips are sealed

Unbelievable Angry

Ps i hate auto spell on phone Sad

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Fixes: 142

rongtw wrote:

Am not surprised people don know hoe to use them , Parents don't teach their kids !.

The number of parents I see dragging their children across a busy road or pushing a pram into the road when there is a zebra/pelican, etc. crossing just a few hundred yards away. Definitely gives the wrong message as well as being bloody dangerousAngry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

My local council decided to put in what they term "uncontrolled crossings".  Their reasoning was that they had been in use successfully in a small town in Holland.  Yeah, west London is so similar to a small Dutch town, isn't it?  The vast majority of drivers treat it as if they have the right of way, making it no different - and no safer - than crossing where there is no crossing at all.  When there is a long queue of cars, I sometimes find the last car stopping to let me cross; a bit pointless since there is a sizeable gap behind him/her and he/she must have been able to see that in their rear view mirror.  I still give them a wave in recognition of their consideration so lacking in the dozen or so drivers who preceded them.

Fixes: 142

When approaching a crossing with people standing there I slow down to stop as one never knows if a pedestrian will suddenly make a 'dash for it'. Most of the time I get an acknowledgement which I always appreciate.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Of those spoken to, 81% answered incorrectly.  The correct answer is that a car needs to come to a stop, to allow a person to cross, only when that pedestrian has already set foot on the zebra crossing.

It comes from Rule 195 of the Highway Code...

On this issue, then, 81 per cent of people have more sense than the Highway Code!

Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Mav wrote:

rongtw wrote:

Am not surprised people don know hoe to use them , Parents don't teach their kids !.

The number of parents I see dragging their children across a busy road or pushing a pram into the road when there is a zebra/pelican, etc. crossing just a few hundred yards away. Definitely gives the wrong message as well as being bloody dangerousAngry

Had to report you to yourself there mav, you swore at the end of your post lol.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Moons ago i nearly hit some bloke on a zebra crossing.

The crossing was literally on the road just as you come off a roundabout. I turned left at the roundie onto the 1st exit where this crossing was (and yes, done my blind spot checks etc) and this bloke who was clearly in a hurry along the pavement on my left side (going forwards in the same direction as me) just suddenly walked out onto the crossing without even looking round to his right to check for cars - literally 2-3 feet in front of me. I hit the brakes and managed to stop but a second later he would have been hit. I hooted, he didn't even acknowledge me and didn't seem to care that he could have ended up in hospital.

The missus couldn't believe what he'd done either yet had there been an impact the police would have naturally pressed charges against me even though it was the other blokes fault. It often makes me wonder how many innocent motorists have been prosecuted for similar things that they could not defend against before dashcams could prove their innocence.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!