Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Four arrests after patient abuse caught on film

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi All
Did you see BBC Panorama?  I did and I felt noshes after seeing the program.
[quote="BBC Panorama"]
Police in Bristol have arrested four people after secret filming by BBC Panorama found a pattern of serious abuse at a residential hospital.
Winterbourne View treats people with learning disabilities and autism.
Andrew McDonnell, who works with adults with mental disabilities, labelled some of the examples seen on film "torture".
All four have been released on police bail. The hospital's owners, Castlebeck, have apologised and suspended 13 employees.
Care Services Minister Paul Burstow said government regulator, the Care Quality Commission (CQC), had been asked to conduct an urgent investigation.
Avon and Somerset police confirmed that three men - aged 42, 30 and 25 - and a 24-year-old woman were arrested as part of their ongoing investigation into the hospital.
During five weeks spent filming undercover, Panorama's reporter captured footage of some of the hospital's most vulnerable patients being repeatedly pinned down, slapped, dragged into showers while fully clothed, taunted and teased.
The hospital is a privately owned, purpose-built, 24-bed facility and is taxpayer-funded.
NHS South West said it was "appalled" by the issues raised surrounding the care home.
In a statement, it said: "We always expect safe, high quality care from providers of services and the abuse of vulnerable patients is totally unacceptable."
Mr McDonnell, a clinical psychologist who viewed the footage, told the programme that basic techniques for dealing with patients with challenging behaviour were ignored.
He said he was shocked by some of the treatment of vulnerable patients.
After seeing footage of an 18-year-old patient named Simone being verbally abused and doused with cold water while fully clothed as a punishment, he said: "This is not a jail... people are not here to be punished.
"This is a therapeutic environment. Where's the therapy in any of this? I would argue this is torture."
Read moere here

My Bold   Angry   Angry
[Edit]  Added My Bold
[Edit]
I would argue this is torture as well, that is not therapy it is just torture by sadists.
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Four arrests after patient abuse caught on film

I saw the programme last night and I could not believe what I saw.  The culprits deserve everything they get.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Yes "The culprits deserve everything they get. " in prison.  I hope thay get some of their own medicine.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I hope they rot, i really do. Prison is too good for them.. they get rights in there, cooked meals, visitors etc.. they should be put in a dungeon instead.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

And what about the people who appointed them to these posts, they should get the chop as well.
The body responsible for monitoring this place are pathetic, even though abuse was reported to them they did nothing, they should also be in for the chop.
Does nobody learn nothing, in the 1960s a number of reports about the old asylums were showing that physical abuse was common and a range of recommendations made... have we learned nothing.
Imaging if you had a relative in care........
Community Veteran

It's because those at the top are obsessed with themselves and being seen as successful at their business. They don't actually give a rats about the business itself - in this case care.
The CQC are just as guilty too. All they are is glorified bean counters with a computer and desk. They've never worked in care directly, don't understand it and don't care about it. I said to the SO last night if they get nicked they'll get bailed - sure enough they've been bailed. What have we come to when even the police are too image conscious to bust people when given the evidence on a plate?
Everyone in this country has become image obsessed. No-one wants to be seen to do anything menial and everyone wants to be seen as a someone and stuff the real problems.. its sick.
I watched that program last night and wondered what is left for humanity when we can't even look after each pther.
Community Veteran

On two occasions whistleblowers had brought the abuse to officials and been ignored.  I can't believe that this is the only such place where this abuse goes on. An urgent check needs to be carried out on all these places.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

They might have ignored what the whistleblowers had to say but you can bet they will not forget who these whistleblowers are, chances of them getting another job anywhere in that line of work are about zero.
Must have been hard for that undercover reporter to have witnessed what he did without stopping it but as he said if his cover had been blown then he would not have got further evidence.
It goes against much of what I believe in but I am inclined to suggest that trained staff are planted in such homes with the sole purpose of reporting what goes on, a bit like the secret shoppers who visit stores and report back.
Something must be done to protect all vulnerable people under the care of others.........even in hospitals we have recently seen the elderly die due to neglect.....one day it could be us.
Community Veteran

I think from memory that the whistleblowers were no longer employed at the hospital.  They had moved on.  Credit to the reported.  I don't think I could have done what he did without speaking out earlier.  He filmed over 5 weeks I think.
Community Veteran

that's the nhs when it's been privatised.  we can expect a lot more of that with the helpless young and old.  you can't make a profit on these places by employing quality staff.  you get the cheapest and don't bother to train them.  it's a wonderful future we're looking at.
Steve
Pro

After sadly watching this clip via our BBC I am very disgusted and saddened by It and Its about high bloody time this Cruelty was STOPPED, I am grateful and admire the undercover  reporter(Joe Casey)  who had to sit back and watch this happening. I knew this kind of thing was happening but not to the level I have just witnessed, It has seriously disturbed me and this cannot be tolerated In our country any longer!! Cry Cry Cry
Steve
Pro

To add, The culprits got bail? They should be punished very severely and made as a Testament that this sort of behaviour no matter how difficult the patient will not be tolerated In 2011 Or any other year for that matter. Jail Is to good for them yes, They will get protection In there but you cant hide from the screws who will forget to lock some cell doors at night.
Community Veteran

We mustn't forget the principles of British Justice - a person is innocent until proved guilty.  Bail was inevitable in these circumstances. They will get their day in court when I hope the judicial system will deal with them harshly.
Community Veteran

Erm, doesn't evidence which proves them guilty count then?
If you'd been caught red handed murdering someone you wouldn't get bail would you.
Community Veteran

Yes, that evidence will be presented in court at their trial and a jury will decide if they are innocent or guilty. Under the guidelines for bail as I said before it was possibly inevitable that it would be granted.