cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum Rules

Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

Forum Rules

Whilst I accept that due to the small number of moderators the task of checking every post cannot be easy the main problem as I see it is that action was not taken as soon as those who were there to provoke and cause problems were not banned immediately.

It is good to see that action has been taken regarding Avatars as some were obviously political.

Clearly some members have been banned, I have no idea who they are or for what period of time but all this will come to nothing if there has been a limited ban and they return with the same agenda, we have already lost a number of members as I suspect they simply got fed up with all the bickering and I’ll feeling.

Things might return to normality providing the rules are implemented and actioned immediately someone intentionally breaks them.

The above are my opinions only I do not speak for any other forum member.

😀

14 REPLIES 14
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

Re: Forum Rules

@gleneagles  Glad to see your still here. When i logged in yesterday found a few posts missing and nobody seemed to be on general chat as the day went on no new posts so was beginning to think everyone had been banned and for some reason the mods had missed me. So decided later in the day to post something (I know it was boring) and got some replies. PHEW!!! relief.

Read the new rules this morning and have no problem with them, pity though that politics is banned as apart from the trolls some of the points made were interesting.Ah Well!!!Thumbs_Up

Hero
Fixes: 30

@gleneagles wrote:

Whilst I accept that due to the small number of moderators the task of checking every post cannot be easy the main problem as I see it is that action was not taken as soon as those who were there to provoke and cause problems were not banned immediately.

It wasn't hard to spot, was it?

The existing rules are quite clear -

Attitudes towards other users

Differences of opinion will happen, however we will not tolerate these turning in to arguments, personal attacks or bullying. This includes but is not limited to:

• Inappropriate language
  • Personal attacks either on the forum or via Personal Message
  • Trolling of other users / threads
  • Impoliteness towards other members, moderators or staff

It's a mystery why the situation on GC was ever allowed to escalate to the point where several members were banned.

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 8800NL
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@gleneagles 

Why do you think some have been banned? The only one I've not seen recently is @wotsup , all the other regulars have posted in the last two weeks, some on different chat boards.

Seasoned Champion

@nozzer wrote:

@gleneagles 

Why do you think some have been banned? The only one I've not seen recently is @wotsup , all the other regulars have posted in the last two weeks, some on different chat boards.

BOO, rumours of my banning are a bit premature

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@nozzer wrote:

@gleneagles 

Because i can second the claim that some have been banned.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I've got an idea who they may be, but I'll won't say it here.

As the saying once said "Act your age and not your shoe size". Some people have difficulty with that.

My niece is better behaved than some people on here and she turned 6 a few weeks ago.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The new rules don't appear to be strictly black and white regarding religion and politics.

As "Discussion of current affairs is allowed" which would be hard to do if those are completely excluded.

Unless I'm missing something.

Hero
Fixes: 30

@billnotben 

My take on that would be that it's OK, for example, to comment on something which the government has done, or not done.

Or the action(s) of a particular MP. or a speech or event/announcement in the Commons/Lords.

But if someone then says that "another party/MP would have been much better/worse", then there's the likelihood of a damaging spat and we're into party politics.

I could, of course, be completely wrong in that interpretation, and it would be useful if a mod or community gaffer could clarify.

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 8800NL
Seasoned Champion

@billnotben Thats why I thought it ok to post about the BBC and free licence!Thumbs_Up

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Yes, I remember a few years ago we were all told off about religion and politics.

Those are always sensitive subjects, and of course some people will disagree and have different opinions. You just do in a polite and adult manner, like you were actually talking to that person face to face.

It will be a sad day when all this forum contains are posts about speed faults, but the way it is heading it will be.

Pro
Fixes: 2

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

Strange where a lot of previous members have gone.

In one post I suggested some be sent to Coventry....

One reply was that would be 85% of us.....

So if you ever visit Coventry you may see those who are missing......

Equally there may be another explanation with missing members and posts it might be like the Bermuda Triangle where people disappear and arrive in another destination....

A few times I have felt being on the brink and took a step back but may have had a brief glance into that other place, where peace and tranquility reigns and everyone gets on with everyone else, mountains in the background with a lovely lake with ducks on it.....

Of course last night was very warm.....so it may well have been a midsummer nights dream....

😁

Hero
Fixes: 9

I thought you'd visited North Korea.

Rising Star

There is yet another aspect to this. The sheer impoliteness of just deleting posts en mass with nary an explanation - itself apparent against the existing "rules".

I was 'collateral damage' in all this, after a couple of innocuous posts of mine were consigned to nowhere-land, along with all the others (back to 2008!), with no explanation whatsoever. Not only was it the ONLY time I have ever posted on GC, AFAIK it was the only time I have ever read anything on GC!

So I am a completely innocent party, totally unaware of whatever it was that was going on.

Seems like a thread to avoid in future.