Forum Rules

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

Forum Rules

Do Forum Rules, only apply one way ?

Forum Rule......

Moderator actions

The moderators are empowered to perform any actions they deem fit to protect the integrity of the forums. This includes, but is not limited to:

• ...................editing of posts/threads

(but will ignore requests to edit posts as long as possible... )  should be added...

because

a request to edit a post, was not actioned, 

so.... I sent a reminder PM.... 

that too was ignored.......

I then sent the request to another moderator... assuming that the first one was incapacitated due to the virus... but .... again...

that too was ignored....

A PM was sent to both moderators concerned, asking them for their reasons why they did not edit the post... and why they did not respond to the reminder PM`s

This also was ignored..... 

Forum Rule. ( from the introduction paragraphs)

If you ever have reason to question the actions of a moderator you should try and resolve your issue directly with the moderation team via Private Message (PM),

Fair enough ? ? ?      this does not work,  if the moderator(s) do not respond, or acknowledge receipt.  they are not respecting, or adhering to, the rules.  

Nor are they respecting the person who contacted them, by ignoring their PM(s).

So... what can you do about it ?   well, the next line answers that...... ( or should do ........ )

if your issue is not resolved please contact the Community Manager via PM. They will liaise with the moderators and make a final decision on your case.

And again... this does not work,  if the "community manager(s)"   do not respond, or acknowledge receipt. 

They are  also , not respecting, or adhering to, the rules.  

Nor are they respecting the person who contacted them, by ignoring their PM(s).

( as it happens.... the Community Manager, JonoH , has decided to take a year off... and there is no replacement) 

. so I sent a PM to the "community gaffer"....   

Which was ALSO IGNORED.......

Forum Rule.....

Attitudes towards other users

...........................................................we will not tolerate

Impoliteness towards other members, moderators or staff

But it does not apply to Moderators or staff... When they ignore members who contact them, .......they are being "impolite" 

So..... Do the forum rules only apply one way  ? ? ? ?   

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Pro

Re: Forum Rules

Is it my imagination or has the time allowed to edit one's own posts been reduced?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

@TeeGee  Yes it has.... I think it is only a few minutes now....been like that for a year or more...

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 25

20 mins IIRC.

There’s no plaice like Ω
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

Rules always favour those who wrote them; just look at any contract, insurance policy etc.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

At present it's almost dark days here moderator wise.

I've been unhappy with the threats of forum closures etc, another mod has frequently ignored things or randomly deleted my posts for no apparent reason...

OldJim was the supreme moderator who came with genuine wisdom and would deal with things via PM. I had several PMs from him warning me over things and likewise several PMs supporting me with other things. Only one of the current moderator team wiill do PMs with me if i make contact but even then it's usually short replies.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Hero

@Jonpe wrote:

Rules always favour those who wrote them; just look at any contract, insurance policy etc.

Or to use the technical term - get out clauses.

The more onerous the clause the smaller the print.  🤔

There’s no plaice like Ω
Highlighted
Pro

No replacement Community Manager yet (it's been 7 weeks).  I can't imagine why no-one is keen to take the job on.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@shutter 

Shouldn't the thread title have been..  Forum Rules, OK!     😁

Highlighted
Hero

Talking of forum rules - shouldn't they be a little more visible to newcomers?

If you've been around the forum for a while, you might hazard a guess that they'd be in a post somewhere, and it might even be a 'sticky'.

You might then reason that it could be in 'Community Announcements', and of course you'd be right.

But if you're a newbie virgin forum user, shouldn't the rules be more obvious and up front?

There’s no plaice like Ω
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 47

I've been here a long time, so no idea, but are they not mentioned/linked when you sign up?

John
Highlighted
Hero

@jab1 After 12 years, I've really no idea! But we know how studiously people read T & Cs before signing up for things don't we?  😉

There’s no plaice like Ω
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 47

We do, @198kHz , but I'm one of the odd people who does read them - unless they are like the PayPal agreement, in which case, I haven't got 4 hours to spare.😊

John
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

When I bought my first computer with Windows (98!), I read the licensing agreement and thought, "Never again."

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Jonpe wrote:

When I bought my first computer with Windows (98!), I read the licensing agreement and thought, "Never again."

back in them days software licence agreements which you clicked to agree to instead of signing, were still not really easily enforced. They were more of a novelty back then - especially when it came to an american company with its software being used here in the UK.

These days it's all serious.. takes the fun out of the digital age.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!