cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum Fool.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Forum Fool.

I Was thinking of changing my name from Gleneagles to Forum Fool.Anyone reading my recent post under the Hardware section will have seen my request for help regarding my problem of  the computer starting up for a few seconds and then closing down followed by the action I took which ended up with me ordering a new computer.
So I then connected a second computer up in place of the first one and.............. same B.....y problem.
At this stage you might be thinking a dodgy lead but all those had been checked out.........problem was the wall socket, once I changed this the problem was sorted, it's a switched socket so I assume something had gone wrong with the switch which was letting a small amount of current  through for a few seconds , never had any problem with this socket before which is about 25 years old.
No I can't cancel my order for a new computer so that's been a costly lesson.
14 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Forum Fool.

Thanks for the fix for your situation
Fool no more, you are.
Community Veteran

glen, have you tried it on a different socket in another room?  bit of a faff, i know, but you might learn something from it.
Community Veteran

First dibs on the "broken" PC. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Ebay is your friend..... you might recuperate some cash for the new(er) one..  Wink
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

most of the properties I've lived in had the sockets replaced every 10 years (lucky me I always moved into one just as this was due) one of the sparkies told me it was a legal requirement for rental properties but homeowners were only advised to get stuff checked every 5 years ....
my dad's owned his house for more than 35 years and its only had the wiring checked once, a few months ago after it got flooded, I rather suspect that the average home owner would only have there's checked if a fault occurred rather than on a regular schedule .......

RE;
the purchased PC where did you get it from ?
if you don't mind being a wee bit underhanded you can claim it was DOA and that you've lost faith in the device, if it was purchased online/ over the phone you legally have 7 days to rebox it and get it back to where it came from for a full refund......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 121

Quote from: nanotm
if you don't mind being a wee bit underhanded you can claim it was DOA and that you've lost faith in the device, if it was purchased online/ over the phone you legally have 7 days to rebox it and get it back to where it came from for a full refund......

Not quite true.
If it's bespoke then the DSR (distance Selling Regulations) don't come in to play. Otherwise, you have 7 days from the day after receipt to inform the company you are returning it for a full refund (minus carriage unless they stated otherwise). There is no time limit in which to return it other than at your convenience.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Is your car working okay?  I'm sure I have just the right  new model available ...  Cheesy
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
itsme
Grafter

most of the properties I've lived in had the sockets replaced every 10 years (lucky me I always moved into one just as this was due) one of the sparkies told me it was a legal requirement for rental properties but homeowners were only advised to get stuff checked every 5 years ....

There is no legal requirement for electrics to be inspected for rental properties, unlike gas which is an annual inspection. It's recommended for landlords to visually inspect appliances annually and the wiring by a professional every 5 years.
For homeowners the recommendation use to be an inspection every 10 years, this is going by the sticker on my consumer unit place there by the electrician. .
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Ebay is your friend..... you might recuperate some cash for the new(er) one..  Wink
It's about 4 years old so doubt I would get much for it.

RE;
the purchased PC where did you get it from ?

Ordered it from power computing, no chance on returning it as it clearly states that if you select the components then it's non returnable
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Is your car working okay?  I'm sure I have just the right  new model available ...  Cheesy
Goes like a bomb..........and sounds like one as well.  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: gleneagles
Quote from: shutter
Ebay is your friend..... you might recuperate some cash for the new(er) one..  Wink
It's about 4 years old so doubt I would get much for it.

If you got £50 for it, that would be better than taking it down the tip !....
nanotm
Pro

I sold an 8 year old pc for £150 a few weeks ago, shove it on gum tree with the install disk's and some toad will pay for it on the grounds that its cheap (especially when they know sod all about specs) ......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Devonian
Grafter

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Is your wife working okay?  I'm sure I have just the right  new model available ...  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

The same answer ?
Quote from: gleneagles
Goes like a bomb..........and sounds like one as well.  Wink