cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford Stops People Speeding

Fixes: 47

Ford Stops People Speeding

Browsing about I came across this article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32043912
Ford is to sell a car that can read road signs and adjust its speed accordingly to ensure the vehicle is not driving too fast.

Presumably if this device is in use when the car car goes through a Police speed trap the driver could be prosecuted for obstructing the Police in the course of their duties because without it the driver could have been speeding.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Ford Stops People Speeding

i'd want a way to switch the feature off.  i don't want a mechanoid interfering with my driving.  i might need a burst of speed to avoid an accident.  i have in the past.

Pressing on the accelerator overrides it.
Marksfish
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
Presumably if this device is in use when the car car goes through a Police speed trap the driver could be prosecuted for obstructing the Police in the course of their duties because without it the driver could have been speeding.

I wouldn't have thought so. That would be the same as saying that cruise control or safety camera databases stop the Police from catching you speeding. It is a safety feature designed to prevent you doing something that could be potentially hazardous, not something to prevent you from being identified once a offence has been committed (i.e. laser jammers).
Mark
Community Veteran

Quote from: Marksfish
laser jammers

I have some laser jammers.
They look smart in bed. Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I thought Fords already stopped their drivers from speeding by frequent breakdowns, resulting in the "Fix Or Repair Daily" acronym... Grin
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

I have a new Ford focus  Wink 64 plate , half of this tech is already here whether its reliable i cant say , on your dash screen it shows the speed limit for the road you are on .
i presume that its gets this info from the built in sat nav , notorious for inaccuracy's and if not updated frequently it bound to lead to complaints , where i live the normal speed limit is 30 , but the council is making it a 20 limit resident parking only zone next month .
i wait to see if speed limit is updated in the car  Roll eyes 
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

the on board stuff might be depending on the contract ford took out when they got the sat nav unit, if they are allowed to "push" updates over the air its highly possible that when the data center gets the new speed limit information your car will be duely updated ....
of course that relies on at least 3 dozen civil serpents to actually perform their job to the required standard in a timely fashion and alert the sat nav companies of the change.....so yeah you might be lucky and get an update notification in 5 years when the next batch of OS maps gets released ...
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 125

...or we can continue to do what most drivers have been doing for years - check for speed signs and reduce speed when necessary Roll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
...or we can continue to do what most drivers have been doing for years

But people using common sense is so old hat now, we have to blame someone else for our own mistakes like relying on a satnav to lead us into fields and rivers and the north sea, it's never the driver's fault for blindly following the orders of a computerised gadget... Grin
Community Veteran

This technology has been in use for a while. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_sign_recognition
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
wisty
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: nanotm
...of course that relies on at least 3 dozen civil serpents to actually perform their job to the required standard in a timely fashion and alert the sat nav companies of the change.....

Why blame the civil service? It's not the civil services' job to notify sat nav firms. Why should we as a taxpayers be expected to pay for civil servants to alert the sat nav firms. If the sat nav firms want/need to know that the speed limits have changed (so that they can sell that data on to their users) they should be the ones paying to collect the information.
nanotm
Pro

actually it is their collective jobs to see that the OS maps are updated with the latest information and the OS department sends out the mapping information update notices to the various navigation services who pay for the information, and the OS is still state owned /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Kremmen
Rising Star

Any device that slows you down, even if only momentarily, I consider dangerous. It could cost you valuable seconds during an overtake manoeuvre.
If drivers can't obey the legal limits then let them get fines and points to remind them.
Let's be careful out there !

I went up the A61 yesterday afternoon and there are some 'Average Speed Camera' zones where an automatic speed control would be useful.
Incidentally part of the route was down a long hill where my speed without accelerator intervention crept above the 50mph limit.
All roads should be flat to prevent this kind of thing happening Wink