cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford Focus Remote Locking

Fixes: 47

Ford Focus Remote Locking

Last Friday I went to do a bit of shopping and found the remote unlock wasn't working, no click, no flashing indicators...nothing.
I put the key in the door lock and that worked so I did my shopping.
When I got back home I replaced the battery in the key fob with no success.
Searching Google I found a large number of results varying from key fob battery to a £1000 replacement of an ECU.
Many results mentioned a hidden fuse along with a variety of other accessible more well known fuses.
One person said disconnect the battery for 10 minutes.
I disconnected it and went for a walk.
An hour later I got back, reconnected the battery and all was well (I had to supply the radio with it's security code).
The only thing very different from normal is the car had spent a day back to back with a neighbour's Ford Focus, maybe his fob confused my car.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Ford Focus Remote Locking

I had this problem on a Mondeo some years ago.  If you take too long fitting the new battery the key has to be reprogrammed.  I was lucky, I phoned my local Ford dealer and they talked me through the procedure to reprogramme the key. Sorry I can't remember what I did but I had to be in the car and press the buttons on the remote in a certain sequence.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)

I had read of failed ECUs and the high cost of a replacement so I was very relieved when the simple procedure I used had worked.
I know a key in the lock performs well enough but If I've paid for it I like it to work as intended.....now it does Smiley
The procedure for programming up to 8 keys is documented in the Owners Manual.
Why anyone would require 7 spare keys is beyond me but no doubt someone will enlighten me Wink
Community Veteran

Good news Strat Smiley
Community Veteran

You can also find that certain frequencies of RF interference will render most car keyfobs useless.
I had a friend who couldn't open his car at work via the keyfob but could at home. This was due to the company he was working for using a lot of devices on a similar frequency. If he tried too many times, his keyfob would go out of sync with the car.
I also had the same issue with a Vectra near a local opticians - the keyfob would work just about anywhere but that location.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Strat
Why anyone would require 7 spare keys is beyond me but no doubt someone will enlighten me Wink

fleet cars
most of the newer ford vehicles were targeted at mainstream fleet sales with public sales being there to pick up the slack
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you

I must be thick but how many people can drive a car at once Undecided or are fleet managers very careless with keys?
nanotm
Pro

naw the fleet companies hold a set of spares, then they issue out as many keys as the leaseholder wants, in the last place I worked that used a fleet service they had 20 vans and each one had 4 or 5 drivers assigned to it on a 24hr shift basis, each driver had there own key to the vehicle on one of those retractable key chain things and a spare was held by the dispatch office.
as I understand things it was cheaper to just fit the same ecu unit to every vehicle made which worked to lower the total price per vehicle from 2.5k to about 800 quid (bulk unit pricing and all that) which also meant they could offer every vehicle as a fleet option instead of some being exlusivly for the retail sector again cutting overall production costs per vehicle meaning they could reduce there operating overheads
no doubt though 8 keys would be rather excessive for the average customer (regardless of fleet or retail).

Maybe, as a private owner, once you've 'misplaced' 7 replacement keys the dealer fits a replacement ECU at a cost of £1500 including fitting and programming as a punishment for being so careless.
I have one active key and one passive key for my car.
nanotm
Pro

who knows quite how they work it all out but I'm sure monetization comes into play there somehow
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Strat
I had read of failed ECUs and the high cost of a replacement so I was very relieved when the simple procedure I used had worked.

Yeah I can imagine.
Good job you didn't take the car to a garage. They'll probably have done what you did and still charged you the £1000. Roll eyes
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Didn't know the key had a battery in it. Honestly.
My key was about 5 years old and still going strong.
Then it decided to separate into the metal bit and the plastic bit whilst I was driving.
I took it to the garage and they gave me a replacement key and reprogrammed it overnight.
(Free of charge).

Fixes: 125

Frequently the rubber keys for my last three Primeras stopped working after around 18 months. Each time the cost was around £70 to £80 to replace and reprogram. I asked the dealer and Nissan themselves to replace with plastic ones but no luck.
Eventually I took out the Key Cover offered by Hastings Direct through Boomerang at under £20 per year. This covers all keys for the car plus any other keys on the fob attached. If the keys are lost/stolen they will replace them as well changing any locks for house keys that were attached.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still