cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For users of the PDF XChange viewer

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

For users of the PDF XChange viewer

For several months my employer has changed to submitting pay slips by email as pdf files. I don't have a problem with this if fact I think its quite a good move.
Instead of filing them in an email folder in Thunderbird as I am currently, I would like to save them directly in XChange viewer as a tabbed document, something like "sheets" in MS Excel.
Anyone know how to go about this if it can be done?
I suspect it may be available in Adobe Reader, but I currently don't have that on board.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: For users of the PDF XChange viewer

I am not sure what you want to do.
With PDF Exchange viewer as standard when you open multiple PDF documents they appear as tabs so if you save the files into a folder you can then open all as many files as you want using Windows Explorer
The only way to combine them is into a single pdf document as pages but as far as I know none of the free ones will do that
Community Veteran

Thanks Oldjim, your last line was what I wanted to do. you put it better than I did.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

I think you might need the paid for version to do this. For more information including a link to PDF-Tools see How do I merge PDF files using the PDF XChange Viewer. It looks like they offer a trial version.
David
mushy
Grafter

PDF Binder is a free little program that can combine pdf's into one bigger pdf, no doubt there are others as well (think pdfmerge and pdffill but not tried them).
http://code.google.com/p/pdfbinder/downloads/detail?name=PDFBinder-v1.2.msi&can=2&q=
or
http://pdfbinder.en.softonic.com/
From there you could bookmark each page or slip within pdf xchange, maybe not tabs or sheets but easily viewable from the bookmarks.
Community Veteran

Thanks gents, I'll take a look at all those links.
It is of course just a bit of tidying up housekeeping, I could easily carry on the way I'm doing it in Thunderbird, and will do so if any of these fail (or cost-a-lot!!) I just feel there must be an easier way that allows me to quickly compare pay slips in one click. Since I am paid weekly I tend to have quite a lot of them.
In fact Thunderbird operates tabs in the "inbox" now if that worked in individual folders then I wouldn't be looking any further.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Bit away from your original question, but PDFsam might be able to do it (it is opensource and has version for both MAC and Windows)
http://www.pdfsam.org/
allows the splitting up and merging of PDF files.
I receive some of my bills online (electricity and phone), I use PDFsam to split out the header pages, then merge all the bills into one for the year.
Community Veteran

Actually its not journeys, I tried the other two but they didn't do what I wanted them to, the Softtronic one in particular tried to take over my PC with unwanted toolbars and search engines. it even changed my home page. It seems to have a number of legacy's around still to be removed.