Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For people who had/have dialup.

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

For people who had/have dialup.

My daughter is doing I.T coursework and she needs to know how the Dialup noise came from etc the computer or telephone.  She knows how it was created but can't find anywhere on how you heard the dialup noise.  I have actually forgotten but oh well!
Any help appreciated,
Jamie
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
18 REPLIES
Fixes: 101

Re: For people who had/have dialup.

as in a speaker on the modem?
Will Moderate For Thanks
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

My first PC was a Win98 desktop, in late 2001, with an integral 56K modem card.
IF I remember correctly, dial tone, then MF tones, then data, were heard on a 1½" speaker in the base of the tower. Nothing further was heard once connection was established.
After a few weeks I disconnected the speaker. 
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

We had a phone with a "monitor" button.... and the sound used to come through that...(always made sure that the monitor was switched on, to check that it was actually dialing and connecting ) . don`t ever remember it coming from the computer(s) I had during my dial-up time....
alanb
Grafter

The usual arrangement is a small loudspeaker built into free-standing modems. For personal computers with an integrated modem, the PC sound system is often used (especially for notebooks), but they may also have a little loudspeaker just for the modem.
Most standard modems (e. g. V.90 compliant etc.) allow control of the sound via the modem command set. They accept commands for setting the sound volume, to turn sound on or off, and also turn it on or off depending on what the modem is doing - for example, you can have sound on while the modem is connecting and training, but have it go silent when a successful connection is made.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: 4C
After a few weeks I disconnected the speaker. 

You realise there was a setting you could tick to stop it outputting the noise right? - Far easier to have done that (as I did) rather than get physical with the pc!
To think.. I think I still have the odd modem floating around somewhere.. I don't suppose there is much point keeping them now?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I keep an old modem around (a usb one I picked up at a boot sale for £1) purely for sending faxes. Not that I have had to for several years now, but the on the odd occasion some one needs a fax of a document rather than an email.
Community Veteran

I remember these: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMC0xAfsogjGLsBb2zum1xtkRIjsPoIQ4mAOHj4cHMmJ6z..., I guess that would have been the earliest form of modem?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Other links of relevant interest - https://images.nonexiste.net/popular/2013/01/30/dialup-handshake-explained/ and
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Community Veteran

I still have my modem card in my PC. The card has a small speaker on it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Thanks very much for all of your replies.  My daughter has also said a massive thanks and has included it can come from various areas on the network i.e the modem and the computer.  
There is a funny clip on youtube here
Jamie
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Community Veteran

Just a reminder of what might have been.... http://www.masswerk.at/googleBBS/
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Don't remember that style of Google but I do remember typing URL in CMD programme!