Fixes: 54

For once I agree with this use of the Human Rights Act

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19957138
Compassionate Conservatives  Shocked
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: For once I agree with this use of the Human Rights Act

Something is seriously wrong here, the government of the united kingdom seems to be growing some b*lls. Thats not right, we're the worlds biggest pushover  Wink
Seriously, I think this is the right decision. It's about time someone up the top stood up to the USA and said no. I don't agree with what McKinnon done (although I can understand it and lets face it, we all want to know what the USA knows about UFOs) but I do not think that they should be jailing him for the rest of his life for what is their lack of computer security. As for saying he caused almost £500k of damage, I'd like to see them present damaged motherboards and hard drives that he apparently wiped etc. From all the information he's given he never did any damage but just poked around looking for things. I think the USA has used him in a knee jerk reaction to try and lord it over the UK.
Like I said, it's about time we stood up to them. Don't get me wrong, I think Obama is the best president the USA has had but I still disagree with the American "We rule anything we can" attitude.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

They should give guys like gary a job where he could help build programs which cant be hacked.
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran

I have to agree with you Jim.  A good decision.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The only aspect of her statement that was wrong is her describing it as an illness, not a condition. I wonder if she considers Blunkett ill because he was born blind or Baroness Tanni Grey Thompson ill because she was born with spina bifida?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Certainly the correct decision but why has it taken so B****Y long to make it !
When a few of our Soldiers were killed with "Friendly Fire" it didn't take the Americans long to say they would not be allowed to attend a English Court even as witnesses !!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Uhmm!! while not commenting on the decision, its good to see HM government standing up for itself for a change especially up against the US.
But, if some of the alleged comments left on US military sites during his admitted hacks, hardly equate with his version of searching for information on UFO's I think its hardly surprising they would like to "speak" with him. As others have said it would be a better idea if he was taken on as a consultant in anti-hacking. After 10 years its more than likely the Pentagon knows how he did it by now, so "interviewing" McKinnon for that is not likely to bear much fruit.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
David_W
Rising Star

It's good that he hasn't been sent out considering his mental health state is poor, but he still needs to be tried in the UK, if he has broken the law then justice needs to be served he can't just get away scot free.
Fixes: 47

It has been suggested that his situation is similar to that of one of  Abu Hanzar's  recently deported  pals and therefore  double standards are being applied.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Many moons ago I used to work on classified stuff for the UK Gov't. I soon learned the security classification, i reproduce them below in order of seriousness:
Classified - plebs only; must not be seen by anyone senior
Confidential - don't discuss with other people; might embarrass management
Secret - like confidential, but keep the documents locked in a safe
Top Secret - genuine secret, people could get hurt if information released
Politically embarrassing - If you disclose this, you WILL go to prison

I suspect Gary McKinnon "embarrassed" the US Gov't Establishment and hence triggered its corporate immune system. This of course demands a long prison sentence without reasonable justice.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

I believe the above post is covered by the Official Secrets Act and therefore disclosure warrants a period of R & R in the Tower.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Strat
Therefore  double standards are being applied.

I’d disagree, Gary is English, born in the UK, Abu Hanzar is Egyptian born in Alexandria.
The mistake (if any) was extraditing him (Hanza) to the USA and not deporting him back to his country of origin following his arrest and being found guilty in 2004.
I’d argue that any foreign national found guilty of any crime (including speeding) in the UK should be automatically deported back to their country of origin, no chance of appeal.
The act of committing a crime on UK soil should automatically waive the ‘human rights card’
Fixes: 123

Quote from: journeys
The act of committing a crime on UK soil should automatically waive the ‘human rights card’
I agree - but it seems someone in the judiciary system keeps misspelling the word 'waive' Angry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: journeys
I’d argue that any foreign national found guilty of any crime (including speeding) in the UK should be automatically deported back to their country of origin, no chance of appeal.

Or littering!  Grin
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nadger
Rising Star

One thing that did seem to weaken his ufo argument was his leaving comments on sites he'd hacked.
Overall I agree with TM stopping him going to USA.