Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Footy Game......

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 53

Footy Game......

So... it seems that there was a huge waste of time and money, spent at a certain footy match yesterday...

why did they not think, before spending all that money, to just have a 3 shot penalty session, instead of all that pallaver, before hand ?

It would have saved a lot of folk a lot of their hard earned cash... not to mention the wages of the players, and the security staff, grounds staff....and the cost of the two major T.V. companies ( and presumably the Italian T.V. companies crew as well)  and probably could have been shown on the telly as an advert break, between some proper entertainment on the telly... it  ( footy ) is a minority sporting occasion, compared to the number of people paying the licence fee,

how come they ( and the tennis mob ) get preferential treatment... ( i.e. up to the minute entertainment,..).. when the majority of payers, have to put up with cooking and repeat shows,.... many of which were made prior to the footy crowd being born...and have been shown several times over in the past 10 years !.

34 REPLIES 34
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Footy Game......

Also, part of the reason I pretty much stopped following football in general years ago, is racism on social media! OK a lot of the England team is made of black guys, but who cares? They're human, they ocassionally make mistakes, no need for morons on Twitter and Facebook to start calling them all the names under the damn Sun.

These racist fools should be named and shamed, and banned from the Internet IMO.

Do you see? Cheesy
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@shutter 

Not a big fan of 'footy' then Gerry, but then me neither really - but it was a good game despite losing in a penalty shootout. Did the better team win? I think so given the run of play and the undoubted skill of the Italian side.

As for being a minority compared to licence fee payers well yes, but to describe it as such when according to BBC  overnight figures "a TV audience of 30.95 million watched the tense closing minutes of the Euro 2020 final... " seems a little unfair if I may say so.

Must admit though to scratching my head at the thousands of spectators at both Wimbledon and Wembley not wearing masks. 

A 'minority' were were of course. 😆  

Euro 2020 final: TV audience peaked at 31m as England lost on penalties - BBC News

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro

The mask thing won't be compulsory from this time next week anyway, neither will social distancing.

I for one won't be wearing the mask anyway, except a Batman mask at Comic Con on Sunday possibly Cheesy 

The point is, I don't want Coronavirus and have had both my jabs, but I should've been exempt from day 1 IMO, I wear a hearing aid and have Autism.

Moderators Note: Political reference removed as per Forum rules

Do you see? Cheesy
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@MrAllen2021 

From what I've read (along with the non-story headline about it from the Guardian this morning) much of it was caused by misdirected anger because England lost (in my opinion) to the better team. 

Personally I avoid reading such garbage on social media so maybe that would help if you did the same?

Just a thought.  

Thomas A. Edison
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 7

@Minivanman wrote:

As for being a minority compared to licence fee payers well yes, but to describe it as such when according to BBC  overnight figures "a TV audience of 30.95 million watched the tense closing minutes of the Euro 2020 final... " .

Possibly because there was nowt else worth watching on the main terrestrial channels at the same time?  Grin

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@MrAllen2021 

"I for one won't be wearing the mask anyway..."

So you want others to be socially responsible and accommodating when it comes to your needs, but you refuse to be so yourself when it comes to others.

I'm alright Jack eh?

Moderators Note: Political reference removed as per Forum rules

Thomas A. Edison
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro

@RobPN There never is anything on on a Sunday anyway, even when Wimbledon and the football are on Cheesy 

*edited as I spotted a typo*

Do you see? Cheesy
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 7

Well Formula 1 is being shown live next Sunday in it's entirety on Ch4 (as opposed to just highlights).

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Why does cutting out even non partisan 'political' references feel like the posters that have them are having their testicles squeezed?

Thomas A. Edison
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 203

It’s a pity that these other sports such as Wimbledon and football aren’t also on this channel. All the ludicrously paid ‘experts’ and commentators could transfer or be made redundant and perhaps we could get a reasonably priced ‘watching TV’ tax.

Mayfly
Seasoned Pro

I really enjoyed seeing the team getting to the finals. 

A month ago we all would have snapped Southgate's hand off if he had promised getting that far.

Well done guys. You all deserved a big round of applause.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Agreed @Baldrick1 but I doubt that would make much difference at the end of the day - apart that is from making us licence fee payers feel a lot better.

It's not just the sports commentators either is it, they all have their snouts in a trough we should not be filling.

BBC pay 2019-2020: The full list of star salaries - BBC News

@Mayfly 

Ditto. 👍

Thomas A. Edison
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@MrAllen2021 wrote:

The mask thing won't be compulsory from this time next week anyway, neither will social distancing.

I for one won't be wearing the mask anyway

I take it you're below the age of 30 then? It's that age group that don't seem to give a hoots about anyone else these days for some reason.

I live with a nurse. She was saying the other day that they frequently get people like you in hospital. The moment they hear that there are covid patients down the corridor they suddenly change their mind and want a mask - to protect themselves but oddly not to protect others.

You may have issues with the state of this country and feel the need to be a rebel against authority however putting other civilians lives at risk is not going to achieve anything.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 53

@7up  +1  

Well said.