cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Footpath or Car Park

Fixes: 47

Footpath or Car Park

I was just looking on my security camera and there is a car across the road parked 25% on the road and 75% on the footpath which is not particularly wide.

Therefore if someone came along with a baby buggy they would have to go around the parked car via the roadway.

Some drivers seem to regard a footpath as a parking area but would probably be shocked and outraged if I set up a chair and table on the side of the road and proceeded to drink a cup of coffee.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Footpath or Car Park

There`s an old saying.....  Keep death off the roads...... drive on the pavement !...

Actually, I think he is committing a couple of offences.... 1st  Parking illegally on the pavement... 2nd.  obstructing the footway... so you could, be a good citizen, and phone your local plod, and report it..

whether they will send a Suburu Imprezza 10 out or not ..........

Community Veteran

Strat wrote:

but would probably be shocked and outraged if I set up a chair and table on the side of the road and proceeded to drink a cup of coffee.

As long as it's decaffe you'll probably be ok.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

shutter wrote:

There`s an old saying.....  Keep death off the roads...... drive on the pavement !...

Actually, I think he is committing a couple of offences.... 1st  Parking illegally on the pavement... 2nd.  obstructing the footway... so you could, be a good citizen, and phone your local plod, and report it..

whether they will send a Suburu Imprezza 10 out or not ..........

The fuzz won't do anything and neither will the council unless there are parking restrictions.

You're not supposed to drive on the pavement except to access a private driveway but footway parking IS lawful - unless there is a footway parking restriction in force (most towns have one or two roads with one but nothing global).

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

s'not on your side of the road, so, let the people on the other side worry about it... Funny

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Too many cars, not enough room. Simple.

Your could send a recording if you have one along with a formal complaint to either your local Council or PC Plod.....

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

In the situation Strat gives I agree the driver is wrong, although were he just stopping to make a quick delivery I would think his misdemeanor less heinous given some roads are narrow for the traffic they bear.

From that you see, i'm not a pavement is sacrosanct person. In fact living in a cul-de-sac that has no turning circle, bur rather a place you reverse into to leave, ( road abuts on to forest), I am glad my opposite neighbour does park on pavement. Backing off our sloping drive is easier and safer.

Years back I holidayed in Germany. In the large town I visited there was a line on the pavement and cars could park with wheels on up to the line.

I think the authorities there were sensible, but "we are British and the idea is not ours".

Digressing slightly, the small town nearby had parking meters, that gave you time according to  the coins you put in, rather than our system that makes one pay for two hours, when only 20 minutes is required.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Hero

It's the thin edge of the wedge though having seen and experienced it myself with kiddies in a push chairs having to be wheeled out into the road because some nipple has blocked off the pavement - and it's not just those either, it's grannies with baskets on wheels and folks in wheelchairs.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Some time ago I saw a policeman with one of these hand held speeding guns clocking traffic but just to the back of him was a road with cars parked on half way on the pavement and the other half on the road but blocking a cycle lane so I asked him if they were commmiting an offence and he said that if they were blocking a driveway and the house owner complained then action would be taken, in short he didn't want to be bothered with it.

I often see people with prams or mobility scooters having to move into the road and it can only be a matter of time before someone is injured  or killed, then there will be a crack down for a few weeks......then it will go back to normal

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Could always remind the vehicle owners by placing a line of duct tape along the bodywork of their prized possessions in-line with the kerb, and writing on the duct tape with a marker pen "This side is a footpath for humans - This side is the road for cars" (with appropriate arrow markings), the tape being (mostly) removable, and making a point to the drivers about being parked in the wrong place... Smiley

Kind of like this, but, on a cheaper scale:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@twocvbloke

Not a good idea, if the owner sees you, you might end up with a knuckle sandwich.

Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Or being charged with criminal damage to property...

Community Veteran

We have a local oick who parked his car on a corner, on the footpath forcing people into the road. 

We had a laugh though - a local woman taking her young son on a bike to school told him to 'squeeze past'. This he did, though as with most well used kids bikes the rubber handlebar grips were worn away.  he scraped all along the side of this man's 'pride and joy'.  A wonderful scratch, deep in places.

He uses his parking space at the rear of his house now.

The police weren't interested when he rang them for advice.

Minivanman
Hero

I'm wondering if the kids mother could have been held responsible for the damage caused at her instigation and a private prosecution taken out. Nice story though.

Community Veteran

It created a bit of a stir round here as she went to see him to tell him what happened. She was going to offer to repair it but he flew into a rage while she was telling him. He called the son a little "fatherless" person, which understandably upset her so she told him it was his own fault and "tough, live with it". He rang the police there and then on speaker phone. They were not happy that he rang 999.
They told him, for all to hear (quite a crowd by now, mainly mums and dads) , that "as it was NOT an emergency, a community support officer would be in contact...." They then said " but you admitted blocking the pavement on a corner?".
Maybe there could be a case fir criminal damage but I think it would not happen here as it would open up a whole can of worms.