cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Food prices

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Food prices

Was shopping with the wife yesterday and for a piece of cauliflower (the size of a small orange) the price was £1.
No we didn't buy it, the cost of some food items are getting silly. It will be our intention to stick to tins of vegatables (which I understand can be just as good) and of course can be stored much longer.
22 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Food prices

Its a fact that tinned (processed) tomatoes are more healthy than fresh
grazy1979
Grafter

Oh i never knew that, how interesting! I wonder why? I often use tinned tomatoes.
dick:quote
pierre_pierre
Grafter

they are not the only one but this explains it  http://www.brighthub.com/health/diet-nutrition/articles/26395.aspx
Food Sources of Lycopene
What foods contain lycopene? Tomatoes are the most popular sources of lycopene. It appears that tomato products that have been heat-processed are the most easily absorbed by the body. Processed tomato products have 2.5 X better absorption than fresh tomatoes. Tomato soup has the highest concentration of lycopene, with 24.8mg per serving. Tomato juice, spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce, tomato paste, canned tomatoes, and ketchup are all processed tomato products that are highly absorbed in the body as well. It appears that this is the one case where a more processed food is actually healthier than the fresh version. How much lycopene should you get each day? The FDA has not published a recommended daily allowance, but the men in the Harvard study with the greatest cancer protection consumed at least 6.5mg per day or 10mg of processed tomato products each week, so aim for around 8 mg per day.
Read more: http://www.brighthub.com/health/diet-nutrition/articles/26395.aspx#ixzz1AwAeuMrj
HighLordPhanty
Grafter

The FDA have not set an RDA because they have significant doubts that lycopene does anything to prevent cancer. They found limited evidence for tomato consumption but that's not the same thing. Other caretenoids could be responsible.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

The BBC one show tonight  1900 to 1930  had a long article on it and seemed to prove convincingly that it helped prevent cancer
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Back to the topic at hand, the prices for food is only going to get worse with this governments stupidity. They all keep putting tax and fuel duty up which in turn forces up the cost of everything else.
It's not going to get better thats for sure.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

But how long can they keep pushing up the price of essential items whilst at the same time blocking or severly limiting pay increases for the majority of people.
Surely there must be some tipping point ? No question that more and more people are building up more debt, add to that the price increases in the pipeline and that figure is going to increase even more.
Fortunately I am retired but not sure if I would be happy going to work (assuming I could find work) for the minimum working wage, to add salt to the wound all these better off people such as bankers, MPs & their ilk ripping us off right left and centre I suspect I would either go abroad and start from scratch or look at how others manage to afford fancy cars & clothes whilst not working or claiming benefits.
Community Veteran

We have reached tipping point also known as a breakdown in society. Have you not noticed that our jails are full?
People who can't afford to put bread on the table will turn to other methods of survival and when they get caught by a state who would rather they starve they get slammed up where instead they get meals but no freedom etc.
This country is breaking down and has been since the last major recession which it never recovered from. It never will recover now, it's too late and its gradually being turned into a slave state. I saw a program on TV similar to the apprentice in which contestants were competing to win a job as a waiter/waitress. One word: Sick.
HighLordPhanty
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
The BBC one show tonight  1900 to 1930  had a long article on it and seemed to prove convincingly that it helped prevent cancer

I'll take the FDA review over The One Show.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

dont pass judgement if you didnt see the article
nadger
Rising Star

I think one has to buy wisely and take advantage of special offer ( BOGOF) to stock upon items that one always uses.
We save a lot on tea bags, coffee, soap powder and cook-in sauces that we use a lot. we are fortunate to have an Aldi next door to Tesco and these are our closest supermarkets at about 1.5 miles from home.
A further mile and we have a Morrisons - a couple of steak & ale pies for £1.50 makes a good meal, for two, with mash & veg and their salmon is always good value.
If one knows how to cook there are cheaper cuts of meat that make really good eating.
Community Veteran

Quote from: okrzynska
We have reached tipping point also known as a breakdown in society. Have you not noticed that our jails are full?
People who can't afford to put bread on the table will turn to other methods of survival and when they get caught by a state who would rather they starve they get slammed up where instead they get meals but no freedom etc.
This country is breaking down and has been since the last major recession which it never recovered from. It never will recover now, it's too late and its gradually being turned into a slave state. I saw a program on TV similar to the apprentice in which contestants were competing to win a job as a waiter/waitress. One word: Sick.

Be careful, you are beginning to sound like thisoldman !
Community Veteran

Yikes!
Talking of which where is he these days?
jmd
Grafter

If you live alone it is harder to save money on food - many of the BOGOF have limited dates and so eating the same food for 2 weeks does not appeal!  I like to have some variety in my meals.  Also, if you have limited storage space then buying in bulk is not very much use.  Meals for one always seem to cost nearly as much as for two.
I tend to buy a pack of eg chicken pieces and freeze them seperately but  do not like to do more than 4 at time as that will last me a month having a piece once a week.  I find Aldi are very good for prices of meat whether it be fresh or frozen [their frozen lamb chops are good and you get 6 small ones in pack for less than £3 and so that is 3 meals again over the month].  I look for special offers but only get them if I can make use of them.  I tend to buy frozen vegetables as they work out cheaper as when you buy a pack of broccoli it has usually gone off before I can eat it all so that means it is a waste of money.