Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Food, Water, Batteries and BOB

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Food, Water, Batteries and BOB

Recent events have highlighted the need for some sort of "disaster" planning, on a small scale.
Lack of Utilities, such as recent Water & Electric not being available, for short periods, have reinforced our preparedness planning.
We have "amassed" a stock of Food, Water & Batteries to cope with most eventualities, enough for a couple of weeks, if needs be.
BOB ?
An American term, a Break Out Bag.
For hurried evacuation from the home, a grab bag of essentials.
Many examples on various websites, we tend to stick to the basics, a couple of torches, Lithium batteries, a DVD of password protected essential
Personal Data, some folded Bank Notes, coins for phone box, and a mobile phone, pen & paper. A small supply of medication.
Additionally, a bag containing a couple of 2 litres bottled Water, with some cereal Bars.
In theory, if there was need to evacuate, facilities would be provided fairly locally, so just short term cover  needed, probably just a matter of hours.
However, we also have a very comprehensive BOB, depending on circumstances. !!

Being stranded in Norfolk many years ago due to extreme Snow meant we were housebound for a fortnight, ever since we have been prepared.
What, if anything, have you prepared for, and with ?
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Food, Water, Batteries and BOB

Quote from: PlusComUK

, coins for phone box, !

A working phone box?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nanotm
Pro

i have a healthy selection of items from extreme cold weather gear, heavy duty waterproofs and enough food to supply the family for a month (although plenty of liquids not that many are water) puritabs to do about 2000 gallons, camping equipment should it become necessary (the much predicted breakdown of society etc) and 3 different types of cooking options should we loose mains power, and to test it out a couple of years ago we cooked our practice Christmas dinner on the camping stove (long story but it was a great wind up of the kids) to a decent slection of outdoor pusuit kit and so on.
we also have some limited backups for power but realistically unless there's total anarchy and a complete breakdown of society and utility's all go offline in which case we will likely make for a more remote area rather quickly, there is pretty much zero chance of needing some of the gear, if the weather is that bad that there is no power /running water then there also wont be any phones after 48hours (since the battery modules in the exchanges and masts will have run out of power by that point) there will also likely be zero point to having a radio, or pretty much anything else at that point since if it lasts more than 2 days half the country in temperatures of -10 or lower will die without electric to run their heating on (pretty much all central heating systems have an electric pump in them and without it the system will likely not work or the pipes/tank will burst, and that's for those lucky enough to have a boiler that doesn't need electric to run....) yeah that cold weather kit is probably the thing that will get used most, that and the porta power units ( but then we take one everywhere were going case we need it)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: PlusComUK
Recent events have highlighted the need for some sort of "disaster" planning, on a small scale.
Lack of Utilities, such as recent Water & Electric not being available, for short periods, have reinforced our preparedness planning.
We have "amassed" a stock of Food, Water & Batteries to cope with most eventualities, enough for a couple of weeks, if needs be.
BOB ?
An American term, a Break Out Bag.
For hurried evacuation from the home, a grab bag of essentials.
Many examples on various websites, we tend to stick to the basics, a couple of torches, Lithium batteries, a DVD of password protected essential
Personal Data, some folded Bank Notes, coins for phone box, and a mobile phone, pen & paper. A small supply of medication.

Watching the TV News, it would appear that no-one has any sort of preparedness for being evacuated.
Not a visible B.O.B. anywhere
And they knew the Rain, Wind and floods were coming. 
Many in previously flooded areas too.
The essentials, Food, Water ......
Of course, anyone actually prepared may have fled earlier in their cars.
Perhaps too much store was placed in the recent Flood Defences, which were overwhelmed by the volume of water.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

No need for all that stuff, just buy or borrow a simple altimeter (A gps used for hiking will have one) Then check how high you are above sea level, the higher you are the less chance of a flood causing you problems unless you live on the side of a mountain.
Not sure what the highest flood recorded above sea level was in the UK but above that you will be fairly safe, so know where such places are, pack your car with what would be needed for a few weeks camping including tinned and dry food and you should be ok.
Smiley
Infinity
Pro

Or...
Type  your postcode into Google, with height above sea level !!
Nice idea though.
itsme
Grafter

I live 35m above sea level and have near zero percent chance of being flooded. Appleby is 140m above sea level and is flooded. Majority of flooding is by rain water in streams and inland rivers so have no relevance to sea level.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Elevation for TS1 1JZ 32,520 feet, don't think I will be needing a Break Out Bag.   Smiley  Wink
[Edit] Plus an extra 50 feet to the ground
Fixes: 47

If my house gets flooded, Plusnet will be under 80 feet of water.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

For a moment when i saw the subject i thought we were talking Bob Holness from Blockie..
Can I have a P(ee) please Bob?!  Grin
I was always fascinated as to how the mysterious alien city at the beginning of the show  and the monuments above the players were supposed to fit in to it all:

I used to find the game quite boring... but it was almost a tradition - get home from school, watch CITV and then blockie. The theme music ruled! (even if it didn't suit the game).
In his later years he had a number of strokes which were not even diagnosed until some time after. He's now sadly passed away but was a legend amongst TV legends.
Sorry if i've gone off topic...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: 7up
I was always fascinated as to how the mysterious alien city at the beginning of the show  and the monuments above the players were supposed to fit in to it all:

That's easy, the city (known as "Utopia City") was a blade-runner style haven for intelligent thought, rational thinking and success, something the people featured as the "stone" carvings were achievers of, from ancient greek philosophers, to modern-day (up to the 90s) olympians and inventors... Smiley
Also, it was used to make the US version, on which our Blockbusters was based, look rubbish, and worked, cos the US version flopped while ours gained cult status, and many other versions of the show worldwide were based on the British version, even using Ed Welch's "Quiz wizard" theme... Grin
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: 7up

Can I have a P(ee) please Bob?!  Grin

I preferred the "I'll have an 'E' please Bob"  Wink