Did you mean: 

Food.... Waste or Waist ?

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Food.... Waste or Waist ?

Families waste on average £700 a year in edible food stuffs thrown in the bin
Bread, salad and chicken are among the most common foods wasted
Almost 50% of the total amount of food thrown away in the UK comes from our homes.
We throw away 7 million tonnes of food and drink from our homes every year in the UK, and more than half of this is food and drink we could have eaten.

http://england.lovefoodhatewaste.com/node/2472
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2489255/UK-food-waste-meal-day.html
http://www.wrap.org.uk/category/materials-and-products/food

What do you do, with excess food ?
Chuck it, freeze it, incorporate it into another meal ?
Sell by, Use by, Best before .....
And of course, the BOGOF offers...

Personally, I always reach to the rear of food shelves, and compare the dates with the items at the front.
For Bread for example, there can be a 4 day difference I find.

And... General Waste reduction and Recycling
http://www.wrap.org.uk/
31 REPLIES
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Food.... Waste or Waist ?

Quote from: PlusComUK

Personally, I always reach to the rear of food shelves, and compare the dates with the items at the front.
For Bread for example, there can be a 4 day difference I find.

I do this all the time with bread.  Grin
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I bake my own bread, rolls, and pizza bases, so it is always fresh when I need it, and there is never any waste as it gets eaten so quickly  Smiley
During the summer I am almost self sufficient in home grown vegetables, so very little waste as I only harvest what is needed for the next meal, and adapt the meals to use up whichever crop is ready to pick at the time.
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

In the main the only food I waste is when I have done my shopping the we are invited round to friends for a meal or go out for day and stop to eat on the way home if that happens twice in a week some fresh stuff like lettuce may get thrown.  As our nearest supermarket is 11 miles away we tend to live out the freezer.
Community Veteran

Anything spare and freezable is frozen or kept in the fridge if likely to be eaten soon. Meals are designed around what we have. Compost bin takes inedible leftovers, peelings, etc.
Virtually no food waste in our house, but that's probably the result of a "post-war" upbringing when rationing was still in evidence..
Thunderclap
Grafter

On average £700 a year. Not us. So who's making us average?
nadger
Rising Star

Certainly not us as we throw very little away.
Roberto0151
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
Anything spare and freezable is frozen or kept in the fridge if likely to be eaten soon. Meals are designed around what we have. Compost bin takes inedible leftovers, peelings, etc.
Virtually no food waste in our house, but that's probably the result of a "post-war" upbringing when rationing was still in evidence..

I agree wholeheartedly. I grew up during the thirties and early forties and SWMBO was born in Holland just before the outbreak of war. We both know full well that food must NOT be wasted and we know how not to waste it.
Fixes: 47

I throw very little away preferring to freeze and reheat.
As far as BOGOF offers, I will only pick up the extra if I know I will use it.....unlike some I know who take it because it's there.
Sometimes I make something a little different from my usual fare and the problem I find then is sourcing a small enough portion of certain ingredients for one person.
For example I bought a white cabbage and only used half of it, throwing away the rest.
Bread is always frozen.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
shalom2010
Grafter

We freeze our bread & take out out what we are going to eat that day. Only waste is apple cores & peels from potatoes - which we recycle! No idea where they get their statistics from.
kmilburn
Grafter

Quote from: Thunderclap
On average £700 a year. Not us. So who's making us average?

If £700 is the average,  50% of the population are below average,   some of us are just welll below average   Wink
It make you wonder what the people at the other end are up to.
Quote from: PlusComUK

I do the opposite,  after shopping I do 'stock rotation',  put the new stuff at the back and bring the oldest forward.
Then when I want something,  just grab the one at the front!
With regards to the dates,
    'Sell By' date is ignored as it's irrelevant
    'Best Before' dates are ignored, the only significance of the date on most products is the nutritional information accuracy,  generally it's obvious when a product is past its best!
    'Use By' dates are treated with scepticism, I've had millk go off before the date and been using some a week after it!  If it smells OK and tastes OK, I'll eat it!
With chilled items, if I'll use it soon, it'll go in the fridge,  if not,  I'll freeze it.  Often I'll cook something (usually curry) in a larger batch than I need,  and freeze what I don't eat in meal sized portions, including the rice.
Effectively,  the only food I waste tends to be inedible, or I suffered from 'eyes being bigger then the belly' syndrome!
Community Veteran

I probably throw out £100 worth of food a year (family of three) and hate every penny I waste.
I do all the shopping and try to forward plan as much as I can.

I'll bet that the 'Best before' date is a major culprit.
They might as well change it to 'Throw away after' date Roll eyes
Fixes: 125

Agreed that sell by dates should be ignored. Use by dates are just guidelines and no substitute for your eyes, nose, taste buds and common sense.
SWMBO does all the cooking and coming from a country where poverty was rife she uses many leftovers in new dishes.
If we do go for any BOGOF offers then we cut back on other things we would have bought partly to save money but also because it definitely is more wasteful.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

I miss Bubble and Squeak Sad