cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Food Resturant - Would you try your rights ??

StuartUK35
Grafter

Food Resturant - Would you try your rights ??

Morning all,
Without wanting to sound a plum, i want to put to the test an advert i heard, and see if it pans out........
IE:  a company advertises that you can get 5 burgers for £9.  So if i say i want 5 burgers, and they bring out 3, but still charge me £9 , can i refuse or pay less based on what they have provided ?
Company in Question is:  Harvester (food place)
They have a radio advert out at the mo which i know to be misleading... Sounds like the voice or Ruby Wax doing the advert....  Also recorded it on my phone too Smiley
Advert goes as:  she's in the Harvester, and she says "i want a half chicken, 2 chicken breasts with 1 plain and the other cajun, rice, pot of peri peri sauce and unlimited salad'.....
The waiter replies with "ahh, that will be our Tripple Chicken, coming right up..."
So, on that advert, it states the meal in question is the 'Tripple Chicken', which is sold for £9..... Yet the menu and what they give you are different... 
In general, they will serve you a chicken leg (kinda like a wing!), 1 chicken breast and a 1/2 chicken breast, small one at that!  Thats based on me ordering that many months ago.....
But the menu also states "Qtr chicken, 1 chicken breast and 1/2 cajun chicken breast" as the 'Tripple Chicken' meal for £9.
Last time i checked, a half chicken meant it had a breast and leg....  and a chicken breast is just that, a breast, not half.....
Plan was/is to go to the the harvester tonight, and order based on the same words as the advert...  If i play dumb, and just say i want what i heard on the radio, should when the dish arrives, and its not as the per advert, should i demand they provide what was advertised and lead me to such restaurant ?
Or..........  if they say, thats how it is, should i argue that i should'nt have to pay the asking price when the advertised product hasnt been served Huh

The above is all about curiosity as to what you can and cant do, when being lead under a pretense Smiley Smiley
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Food Resturant - Would you try your rights ??

I seem to recall, a similar type problem, with BIG MAC advertising on it`s windows...
Looking at the pic of the burger in the guys hands, it looks enormous... but when the guy got his "standard burger in a standard bun" he complained he was not getting what was advertised on the window....
Can`t remember the outcome, whether he got satisfaction from the Mcdonalds in question, or whether he took it to trading standards.... either way, he got a "giant burger" as advertised at 99p or whatever the price was....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

You may get what you expect at the restaurant (especially if you have your phone with the recording to play them when they bring the small version) but you may well not.
More likely a case for trading standards and the ASA.
[Edit - typo]
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
StuartUK35
Grafter

yeah, my thoughts pointed to the ASA....
The advert is done to mislead, and the talk is fast, but as i know the product what they serve, and recorded the audio too, i just wonder if i can put it to the test.......
As said, the advert is made to mislead, and most will just order and not think any more of it...
But if i were to advertise a Stuie Special, which consists of a NEW PS Vita, 2 games for £179, but i only sent the Vita without the box, and 1 of the games without the case, would people send them back HuhHuhHuhHuh? saying they have been mislead as they believe they would get a new item, which as a rule, comes boxed....  just like a half chicken comes with a breast and leg, not a Qtr piece Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Personal opinion...... Go for it.... what have you got to lose?  you can always eat somewhere else if they chuck you out.!... and they lose business....
If it goes the way you think... you have the evidence to take it to trading standards and complain.... #
Good Luck  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

And a wing, you forgot the wing!  Wink
I guess a 1/2 chicken could vary substantially in size but it should have all the anatomically necessary components (leg, breast, wing).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

..."Yes Sir. You can have 5 burgers for £9... but you must eat all of them by yourself."
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Worth checking with Trading Standards.
As for me I wouldn't want to eat in a harvester.  One meal was enough for me. Dreadful Sad
Fixes: 125

Toby Carvery or Hungry Horse for me. Although I have noticed that the portions at Hungry Horse have got smaller over the last few years.
I do like the bottomless jug of custard with my crumble at the Toby Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Whatever happened to our advertising standards. I remember many years ago them putting Birdseye in there place about their chicken pies. The pic as they do showed a big fat full up pie nothing like what you actually get. Since then it's been all down hill. Nothing looks like the advertising picture anymore.
I particular hate the TV bed adverts. Usual one is the "only £299", picture of someone laying on a bed. Small lettering in the corner "bedstead only". So despite the picture you not only get no sheets and pillows. Forget the headboard and mattress as well. Only £299.
Why doesn't advertising standards no longer seem to insist on pictures showing the actual item for sale. Without it being faked up or covered with embellishments?
Back to the main subject of the thread....Harvester big thumbs down.