cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Food Packaging

Fixes: 47

Food Packaging

Yesterday I visited Tesco and needed, amongst other things a pack of Shredded Wheat.

Looking at the boxes on the shelf, most at the front were either open at the top or splitting at the side seam.

I had to reach inside the shelf to find an intact box which I put in my trolley.

Earlier in the week I visited Iceland for some '4 in a box' Chicken Pies.

Again some of the boxes were open and I had to dig down for one that wasn't.

It's not the first time I've seen this and would have expected the open boxes to have been removed and rejected back to supplier.

Maybe the food industry is so cut-throat these days that retailers are unlikely to want to upset suppliers.

It could, of course have been the shelf stackers that are to blame for being careless.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
28 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Food Packaging

Have you seen the way some customers handle the packets? I am not surprised many get so badly damagedRoll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Add to that the fact that proper stock rotation seems to be a thing of the past so everyone digs around on the shelves and in the freezer cabinets like a badger building its sett for the best BB dates.

I thought it would end up as the customer is to blame Wink

I'll leave my garden fork at home in future.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

BB dates? I grabbed  a block of cheese form Tesco a few days ago. Only to find out when I got home and binned the receipt that is was past its BB date by 4 days. I still ate it though and so far I am feeling alright. Usually I am good with dates and check them all but I slipped up that day.

Community Veteran

@Steve - I've eaten cheese from my own fridge that was out of date by over a year and it did me no harm as the pack was still air tight, even then I'd still have eaten it provided it wasn't green.

A few months ago I bought a six pack of cat food (I do have a cat).

Back home and putting my shopping away I noticed one of the cans was dented.

I removed the plastic film wrapper and two more tins were in a similar state with one having split open.

I don't know how old the pack was (it was in date) but the contents were rotting and the smell was overpowering.

I put the pack in a strong plastic bag and went back to the store and the Customer Service desk.

I explained what I was returning and why, advising the woman on the counter not to open the bag....which she promptly did.

She immediately walked off towards the toilets and her colleague took the bag outside.

When she returned she told me to go and get a replacement which I did.

Community Veteran

I'm not saying the customer is to blame, but it doesn't help when the staff don't rotate properly. So by all means @Strat take your fork with you to the shops then someone might take the hint.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Blimey @Mook you are braver than me. Did it taste like cheese?

I know what you mean @Mook. I've been on shopping trips with my daughter and she date checks everything she buys making sure she has the freshest with the longest shelf life.

I'm not quite so particular.

Fixes: 125

As for Best Before dates I always say "If you don't tell the food I won't"Cheesy

If it looks off and/or smells off then it is off.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Yes, it may have been my imagination but I honestly thought it tasted better for standing so long. Cheese needs to be left to mature anyway so what's another year it can't tell the time.

I've just had some Cream Crackers with Danish Blue cheese on.

My daughter calls it mouldy cheese and can't understand why I like it.

Come to think of it I'm not sure I would be able to tell if it had gone off.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

I don't like the taste of blue cheese. My dad used to love all kinds of cheese. I remember coming across mouldy looking cheese when I was a child. Its not mouldy he laughed and I tried a bit but yuck!!

Community Veteran

I love blue cheese. I used to have a liking for Cambazola cheese, but I was put off it when I thought finish the last bit that had been in the fridge, albeit for some time. It looked OK on the outside, smelled OK but when I spread it on my crackers where were pools of thick white watery juice in it. These aren't normally there, so it set alarm bells off, so I fed it to my bin instead, never eaten it since.