cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Food Banks

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Food Banks

Just watching ITV news, and an item that struck me was about Food Banks... apparently they are seeing an increase in the numbers of people, and families, being referred to them for help... apparently it is including families who are IN WORK, but who have sudden bills to pay, such as car repair, needed for transport, and for work, so a choice on low income family budgets... do I fix the car,? and carry on working. or do I feed the family,... and possibly lose money for time off work, and still have to find money for the car repair..
This is, to me, an indictment on the government(s), proving they are hurting those, who they claim, they are working to help... by their policies....
The Food Banks, do not want to be involved in slamming the government, nor be involved in any political situations regarding this... all they want to do , is to help those in need.
What I say, is... if the government(s) were doing their job properly, and providing support for the lower paid, by reducing their tax burden, ( rather than by benefit payments) then these families on lower incomes would be able to support themselves and keep their pride.
24 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Food Banks

the food banks though are touting for business pretty hardcore,
the one local to me sends out vouchers via the schools to anyone who receives free school meals (income below 14995 per annum) regardless of personal circumstance, I know plenty of people who refuse to claim the in work benefits to which they are entitled yet they will happily go to the food bank ......
this is far more indicative of the idiocy of certain types throughout society
another reason for the increase in food banks (and probably the largest) is that if you visit the CAB for financial advice you get given a voucher regardless of your actual circumstances, something a lot of people who have stupidly been taking out credit they cannot afford have been doing .....

whilst it is certainly true that a limited few are indeed being forced to use food banks just to get by its far more true that many are to lazy to help themselves and find themselves falling foul of more rigidly applied regulations, and that in prior years they would of been "let off" by the laxidasical application of those rules which more often than not were ignored in order to ensure maximum cash was given to the individuals who had failed to take ownership of their own life....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

There is a lot of truth in what you say, clearly some people are genuine and need help, as shutter suggests altering the tax bands to allow more low paid people to keep more of their money would go some way but for others who do not earn that much it would be of little help.
I Don't recall food banks when I was younger so clearly they are a 'modern phenomenal' .  For some people the more you do for them the less they will want to do for themselves, this fits in with a lot of todays attitude of, whoever was at fault it wasn't me.
Perhaps some or most parts of benefits given to certain people should be in the form of food vouchers, when benefits were introduced they were never intended to support people habits of smoking, drinking or paying for sky tv
alanf
Aspiring Pro

I heard on the radio that in some cases  where Local Authorities used to provide emergency aid in cash they now refer people to food banks.
When I first heard of the food bank programme I was given the impression that vouchers would be issued only by professionals (doctors. social workers etc) to people for short term emergencies such as there was a delay in getting their benefits to come through. Clearly this is not always the case.
WTF
Grafter

The fact that people need to be referred to food banks is an indictment of this governments failed policy of cutting benefits for the poor while cutting taxes for the rich.
To say nothing of the fact the same slash and burn policies sent the country spiralling into 3 unneccessary years of recession that caused the structural deficit to actually increase.  The US took a the far more sensible course of attempting to stimulate their economy before cutting spending - y'know, what we've all known you should do since the '30s - and they came out of recession years earlier than us and slashed their deficit WAY more effectively than us.  And they'd have done even better were it not for the GOP.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

So you would have gone down the path that the Labour Party proposed and spent even more money to avoid the recession ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Actually...... governments do not need to "spend more money"  to improve the coffer balances... what they need to do is to increase the thresholds for the lower paid, before they pay tax direct to the government.. so they have more money to spend on food, fuel etc...,  which stimulates the economy... which increases the prospect of employment ... which increases the inland revenue coffer, and also increases the sales in shops, which produces even more revenue from vat...  in fact... a snowball effect...
add in to that equation a cut in fuel taxes.... petrol and diesel, and home fuels,.. which again, stimulates the growth of industry and reduces industry costs, which means they can invest in better technology, and also in more workers/apprenticeships, and thus the inland revenue increases its take.... which... as a "by product"... reduces the number of people on unemployed lists/benefits thus reducing the government need for increasing taxes any further...
Oh yes... almost forgot... would also reduce the need for Food Banks... ( not funded by government )...
Vote for Shutter for prime minister/chancellor of the exchequer... and lets get this country back to work.... the proper way... !  Cheesy
TORPC
Grafter

I vote for Shutter in the next election Wink
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: WTF
The fact that people need to be referred to food banks is an indictment of this governments failed policy of cutting benefits for the poor while cutting taxes for the rich.
To say nothing of the fact the same slash and burn policies sent the country spiralling into 3 unneccessary years of recession that caused the structural deficit to actually increase.  The US took a the far more sensible course of attempting to stimulate their economy before cutting spending - y'know, what we've all known you should do since the '30s - and they came out of recession years earlier than us and slashed their deficit WAY more effectively than us.  And they'd have done even better were it not for the GOP.

would that be the same US that is two years behind the UK in recovery from the slump ?
the UK was the first country to get out of recession most of the others are still mired in negative growth nearly 7 years after they first entered recession, the fact that Gordon brown artificially staved off the UK's recession for 3 years actually made it hit harder and cost the country significantly more than had he done his job in the first place

finish that off with the fact there's still more than 100k more state employed people in bureaucratic none jobs than 20 years ago despite the privatisation of huge swaths of public sector employment.....
in the past the food banks were a virtually unknown resource, now there actually available in all areas and just 5 years ago many were threatening to close because they weren't needed, now you require a ticket in order to receive a box of goodies, in the past you just got told what day you were to show up to get a box of mismatched oddities (if you were lucky enough to be in an area that actually had one), the tickets are given out like complimentary sweets at various places (CAB/schools/council offices/social services/ jobcenters/ various charities) its no wonder more people are using them, in fact a lot of people with no justifiable reason are using them (I often hear the local chav scum discussing what swappables they just looted in there weekly box and how it means they can afford another Friday night on the tiles......)
its rather like various welfare benefits, the people who need them were virtually unable to get them and those who know how to play the system got everything regardless of entitlement (although fortunately now most of them are getting jailed for years of theft from the state)
I get given food bank vouchers every month yet since i can feed my kids and pay my bills so i haven't used them (unlike a others i know) however since they are now getting state funding (the shop donations are tax deductible so they report who uses them and gain cash for the not so volunteers to run them) yet in the past this was not so and thus no records were kept and no centralised data was available ......

liabor like ot spin a lot about the cost of living crisis, the real truth is that less than 1000 people are suffering through policy changes, millions are suffering through there own inability to budget and take ownership of their own life though
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Actually...... governments do not need to "spend more money"  to improve the coffer balances... what they need to do is to increase the thresholds for the lower paid, before they pay tax direct to the government.. so they have more money to spend on food, fuel etc..., 

But isn't that what happened in the recent budget? People don't pay tax on the first £10,000 of earnings and this increases to £10,500 next year.
Quote from: WTF
  The US took a the far more sensible course of attempting to stimulate their economy before cutting spending - y'know, what we've all known you should do since the '30s - and they came out of recession years earlier than us and slashed their deficit WAY more effectively than us.  And they'd have done even better were it not for the GOP.

I'm in the US at present and the picture you paint is not what is happening in reality. The US is still in recession albeit showing signs of recovery.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: shutter
This is, to me, an indictment on the government(s), proving they are hurting those, who they claim, they are working to help... by their policies....

What annoys me is that they claim they're "helping people back into work" and "making work pay".
What this translates as in reality is bullying the sick, disabled and disadvantaged, making such a pigs ear or if that even ATOS wanted out and then claiming that somehow they've made work pay. They've done nothing to make work pay other than to increase the tax threshold a bit while the cost of living has gone up exponentially. They've made no real changes at all that will benefit anyone other than those at the top.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
TORPC
Grafter

ATOS only started to pull out after the threats against them, otherwise they would still be raking it in
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

A fine example here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2600864/Classical-pianist-died-penniless-judged-fit-work-Ato...
Used to work for the government but became too ill to work. Naturally the british having a dog eat dog mentality decided he was dinner.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

An interesting view on food banks:
Food Banks
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: TORPC
ATOS only started to pull out after the threats against them, otherwise they would still be raking it in

ATOS got sacked for failing to carry out there duties correctly (failure to correctly assess claimant's) and lied to the media about why they were going ot leave .......
the assessments system in general is largely a good thing the problem stems from the fact that labour wanted to get rid of disability benefits and in order to get that done they tried to get everyone assessed as "fit  for employment opportunities" something a bunch of overachieving crippled from birth civil servants have been pushing to have happen for many years