cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Food Banks

tgr
Grafter

Food Banks

I have done something to day that I never thought I would ever have to do in one of the richest countries in the world.  I gave a couple of bags of food to a food bank in my village.  It is heart rending to think there are people in our country and my village who just cannot afford to feed their kids.  The government should be ashamed that this is happening apparently all over the country.  And yes I am sure there are some scroungers who are just playing on the generosity of others but I do truly believe that the majority of people using food banks are in desperate need.
Perhaps instead of sending aid to countries like India (who have stated that they don't need our money any way as they are rich enough)  We should use this aid money for our own people.  I wonder if any of the countries that we have given aid to will offer to help us.  But I very much doubt it.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Food Banks

Certainly agree with you, people like Cameron appear to have no insight into what's going on in the country. If he sold one of his country houses and sent the money on to India then I would have no objection to that but to use our money in this way is completely wrong.
If we had no poverty here then by all means we should be making a contribution as one of the Worlds richest nations but whilst people are using food banks, being denied medication because it's too costly and forced to live in accommodation that's unhealthy for them and their children then we need to stop spending on desirable things and concentrate on the essential things.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

There is of course the aid we give to the EU.£75 net per person (UK) per annum.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Cameron, and the rest of Government... all departments... could easily solve this country`s poverty.... cut income tax by 50% for everybody... and cut employment taxes paid by employers to the treasury for employing people too...
ipso facto... more people will be able to spend money, creating more demand for goods and services, creating more sales, creating more income form the vat, creating more jobs, creating more income tax income from people in work, reducing the unemployment queues and payout of benefits, creates a much happier voter base, need I go on...
Vote Shutter for President...  Grin
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@shutter, I'll give you my vote, we should go doun the American path and have a President.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

What? a president who only gets the most votes depending on the amount of private sector cash he can pour into advertising?
I don't think thats a good idea. The rich supporting the politicians and vice versa is what has caused so much distress for so many.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I don`t recall saying anything about pouring money into advertising......
My policy seems to be the exact opposite of

The rich supporting the politicians and vice versa

at least I think that it is.....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I was replying to MC who was saying about having a president like the USA.
I wasn't slating voting for you!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
.... cut income tax by 50% for everybody...
Vote Shutter for President...  Grin

How about cutting VAT by 50% on goods and services delivered from the UK instead?
To many folk are outside the tax system, legally, by linking savings and income to ISA, Tessa and PEP accounts Roll eyes